• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #28 SIU @ the ARC 2/20/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 19, 2019, 12:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

justducky

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on February 20, 2019, 10:03:44 PMTiebreaker rules:
http://mvc-sports.com/news/2018/12/18/arch-madness-revises-tiebreaker.aspx

Head to head is first, then NET ranking as of March 3 if head to head is an even split.
Some chance for us to win only 1 of our last 3 and still avoid the Thursday games. The sweeps of SIU and ISUr could be very helpful.

Was Fazekas defending better tonight?

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 20, 2019, 07:32:21 PM
Does anyone else have a difficult time listening to Todd Ickows partner (David Huseman)?  I'd almost rather Todd have the solo call at times.
Love his enthusiasm but as an analyst he is very hard for me to take seriously.  They need to get a former player or coach who will actually critique and give some insight into the game that is not obvious to the television viewer.  I actually much prefer Aaron Leavitt when Todd does the away radio.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: justducky on February 20, 2019, 10:25:54 PM
Was Fazekas defending better tonight?

I thought he looked a step quicker, with better anticipation. But he's not back at full speed yet, still a little rusty. Looks like he's still thinking instead of reacting sometimes, on both ends of the court.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2019, 10:05:18 PMI was so excited to watch us play again...that I completely lost track of time and missed my first game in around 10 years :). Are we in 5th now, since we are 5-0 against the other three 5th place teams?

We are in deed in 5th place based on tie-breakers. A win at UNI would put us in 4th.

VALPO LI

Home attendance in conference play thus far with 1 home game left.
3,818 Ill.St.
2,535 Bradley
3,160 UNI
4,160 Drake
1,333 MoSt. (Very cold outside)
5,148 Loyola
3,014 Indiana St.
2,371 in attendance this evening SIU :-[
Evansville??? guess it depends on how we play the next 2 on the road.
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

By the way did anyone else notice that Robinson was missing from the bench? Gordon was there but no Robinson.

FieldGoodie05

I'm pleased with the W.  Hope it's a stepping stone for a new trajectory.  You can tell these last several games (really since @ S Illinois) that Sackey and especially Freeman are trying to take on outsized roles.

I welcome it, would like to see them takr their lumps and stamp this team with a new identity.  I'll even take their combined 7 TO in doing so...

I think many of us are observing Freeman having uncharacteristic TO and by affiliation, maybe losing steam.  I think part or most of that isn't fatigue as much as it is him inserting more will and offensive attempts since ISUr.  Just an observation, I think Lottich would be reducing minutes by giving him more breathers if he observed a freshman wall occurring.  He's still getting his 32-34 mpg.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2019, 02:12:57 AM
In the last meeting between these teams, SIU out-rebounded VU 45-28 (22-7 on the offensive boards). I believe that stat will have to be different this time for Valpo to have a chance to win.

I think Valpo holding its own on the boards, especially with offensive rebounds, proved to be the difference in the game. This time the gap in rebounding favored SIU only by 36-32 (9-6 on the offensive end), and Valpo actually won the second-chance points battle 10-8!

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 21, 2019, 05:07:06 AMI'm pleased with the W.  Hope it's a stepping stone for a new trajectory.  You can tell these last several games (really since @ S Illinois) that Sackey and especially Freeman are trying to take on outsized roles. I welcome it, would like to see them takr their lumps and stamp this team with a new identity.  I'll even take their combined 7 TO in doing so... I think many of us are observing Freeman having uncharacteristic TO and by affiliation, maybe losing steam.  I think part or most of that isn't fatigue as much as it is him inserting more will and offensive attempts since ISUr.  Just an observation, I think Lottich would be reducing minutes by giving him more breathers if he observed a freshman wall occurring.  He's still getting his 32-34 mpg.
Sometimes the best way of getting through the wall is to go directly through it.

vu72

I thought Barry Hinson did a nice job of speaking with our student sideline reporter at half time.  He was polite and called her by name.  Some of the coaches are just short of rude and I understand they have plenty on their minds, but I just thought he handled it well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on February 21, 2019, 10:59:13 AM
I thought Barry Hinson did a nice job of speaking with our student sideline reporter at half time.  He was polite and called her by name.  Some of the coaches are just short of rude and I understand they have plenty on their minds, but I just thought he handled it well.
Barry Hinson is one of the nicest, most accommodating coaches out there. Good guy, but I know the vultures are circling.

NativeCheesehead

Those sideline interviews are worthless. No coach worth his salt is going to say anything meaningful. The reporters do the best they can but those bring nothing to the broadcast.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteHome attendance in conference play thus far with 1 home game left.
3,818 Ill.St.
2,535 Bradley
3,160 UNI
4,160 Drake
1,333 MoSt. (Very cold outside)
5,148 Loyola
3,014 Indiana St.
2,371 in attendance this evening SIU :-[
Evansville??? guess it depends on how we play the next 2 on the road.

Unless you throw out the MoState game attendance due to the extreme weather, an attendance average for this year's conference home games will be less than meaningless. That's what, the smallest attendance since the early 90s, save for another blizzard game in the 2000s?

valpo64

Are we really surprised at the attendance?   We win our first 4 then lose 8 out of 10, including a number of blown chances and too many on our floor.  In several of those losses we looked bad.  We will have another chance at home so let's hope that the turnout is good which I think will indeed be just that.  I was glad to see us hang in there late and even though it wasn't pretty, we did hold on.  I am still worried about our frosh guards running into the wall this late in the season.  Them being prone to more turnovers as of late scares me because this late in the season and at crunch time the cream rises to the top  with the seasoned veteran players starting to dominate.  That steal on Freeman late in the game is a perfect example.  Sackey has to stop playing like a fart in a skillet on offense which I think will help his work on the defensive end.  It sure will be fun watching our frosh improve year to year.

NativeCheesehead

Don't have the slightest clue what a fart in a skillet is but I'm going to use it in a sentence at some point today.

GoldenCrusader87

Trying to visualize "fart in a skillet" lol idk what it means either but for some bizarre reason ... I guess it kinda sorta fits haha

NativeCheesehead

Fart in a skillet is a lot like this year's team. I don't know what the f@&$ to think about it. Not do I really want to.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2019, 01:47:42 PMI am still worried about our frosh guards running into the wall this late in the season.  Them being prone to more turnovers as of late scares me because this late in the season and at crunch time the cream rises to the top  with the seasoned veteran players starting to dominate.  That steal on Freeman late in the game is a perfect example.  Sackey has to stop playing like a fart in a skillet on offense which I think will help his work on the defensive end.  It sure will be fun watching our frosh improve year to year.

If your going to be critical on someone, make sure you're right. Freeman came into the game at about 7:30 to go, after being out from his injury and never turned the ball over and play error free in that crunch time. The only Valpo turn over during that time was by Lavender.   

JD24

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2019, 01:47:42 PMThat steal on Freeman late in the game is a perfect example. 
Freeman didn't have a turnover late in the game. Lavender had a horrible turnover right near the Valpo basket with about a minute left.

edit: I see great minds think alike

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2019, 01:47:42 PM
Are we really surprised at the attendance?   We win our first 4 then lose 8 out of 10, including a number of blown chances and too many on our floor.  In several of those losses we looked bad.  We will have another chance at home so let's hope that the turnout is good which I think will indeed be just that.  I was glad to see us hang in there late and even though it wasn't pretty, we did hold on.  I am still worried about our frosh guards running into the wall this late in the season.  Them being prone to more turnovers as of late scares me because this late in the season and at crunch time the cream rises to the top  with the seasoned veteran players starting to dominate.  That steal on Freeman late in the game is a perfect example.  Sackey has to stop playing like a fart in a skillet on offense which I think will help his work on the defensive end.  It sure will be fun watching our frosh improve year to year.

Proper English grammar would require a correction: It should be "like a fart in a hot skillet."

http://www.appalachianmtnroots.com/2016/11/youre-just-like-fart-in-hot-skillet.html

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 22, 2019, 05:42:50 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 21, 2019, 01:47:42 PM

Proper English grammar would require a correction: It should be "like a fart in a hot skillet."

http://www.appalachianmtnroots.com/2016/11/youre-just-like-fart-in-hot-skillet.html

Maybe it's a Fort Wayne thing, but I have always heard it said just like Valpo64 wrote it and since were both from Fort Wayne...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

and the fact that Spring Break starts the day before the Evansville game... MIGHT have an effect on attendance?

GoldenCrusader87

Well poof ... that's just a shame the last home game is right at the start of spring break. Them there students will be outta that place like a fart in a skillet! 💩.... 💨

valpo64