• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29 @UNI Saturday 2/23/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 22, 2019, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSL98

Green is clearly freshman of the year, but I'd rather have Javon for his overall game.

LeBron was a non-factor.  Are we going to hear something about him still not being 100%?

nkvu

We may be lousy at shooting baskets but we are great at shooting ourselves in the foot.

justducky

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 23, 2019, 08:50:03 PMLeBron was a non-factor.  Are we going to hear something about him still not being 100%?
Yes and if you can't recognize it I'll suggest you go back and watch some of the early January games. Actually I'm thinking that Golder might be trailing Fazekas in his recovery.

We had a team effort. Everybody contributed with some flawed executions. Still it was a game that we could have been able to win.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 23, 2019, 08:50:03 PM
Green is clearly freshman of the year, but I'd rather have Jacob for his overall game.

LeBron was a non-factor.  Are we going to hear something about him still not being 100%?

He should address his terribly vanilla offensive scheme  that hasn't improved in three __________________ing years at the helm. We could have won this game. We really could have. But we blew it in crunch time. Again. Is everyone on this team except our freshmen mentally weak? We dig a deep  hole fight back within one possession several times and then piss down our legs with the opponent on the ropes. It happens every single loss. It would be nice to complete these comebacks every now and then. I'm so frustrated. I used to look forward to these games now I honestly wonder if I'm just wasting my time. I'll keep supporting and attending games but these failures no longer surprise me. I honestly think it should be NIT\Top 3 finish or bust next year for Matt and even that seems generous.

EddieCabot

Quote from: jloose128 on February 23, 2019, 08:45:47 PM
If my son's team was struggling, I would also want my son in the game.

Agree.  I think Mommies complaining on Twitter could be the catalyst this team needs!

VUGrad1314

Credit to UNI though. They punished our mistakes and deserved the win. If their incoming class is as good as their fans seem to think it is things could really be looking up in Cedar Falls.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: a3uge on February 23, 2019, 08:48:18 PMLavender and missing free throws, name a more iconic duo

Lottich and losing games?

Our entire offense and scoring droughts?

Evelyn iso plays and getting bupkis?

Kiser and offensive skill?

valpopal

Interesting the closeness in stats: FGs Valpo 21-48, UNI 22-50; 3-pts Valpo 5-15, UNI 5-15; Rebs. Valpo 29, UNI 31 (Off Rebs. Valpo 5, UNI 5); Assists Valpo 8, UNI 10; Blocks Valpo 2, UNI 2; Steals Valpo 9, UNI 8.

Big difference in the game...fouls: Valpo 17, UNI 11; and free throw shooting: Valpo 6-10, UNI 15-17. Blame goes two ways: 1) Officials seemed to swallow their whistles when Valpo went to the rim, especially missed obvious fouls on Freeman, but were less reluctant to call fouls on the two Valpo bigs, which impacted the game after Valpo pulled within 1 point. 2) Valpo missed free throws again, especially front end of a one-and-one.

NativeCheesehead

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on February 23, 2019, 09:19:15 PMInteresting the closeness in stats: FGs Valpo 21-48, UNI 22-50; 3-pts Valpo 5-15, UNI 5-15; Rebs. Valpo 29, UNI 31 (Off Rebs. Valpo 5, UNI 5); Assists Valpo 8, UNI 10; Blocks Valpo 2, UNI 2; Steals Valpo 9, UNI 8. Big difference in the game...fouls: Valpo 17, UNI 11; and free throw shooting: Valpo 6-10, UNI 15-17. Blame goes two ways: 1) Officials seemed to swallow their whistles when Valpo went to the rim, especially missed obvious fouls on Freeman, but were less reluctant to call fouls on the two Valpo bigs, which impacted the game after Valpo pulled within 1 point. 2) Valpo missed free throws again, especially front end of a one-and-one.

With all due respect  you can't just gloss over 16 turnovers (many of which were completely unforced) like that. If anything the closeness in the stats should make you even more frustrated with the coach and the players for their beyond awful execution down the stretch. Like somebody said a game or two ago: same $^&% different game as always.

may know

The team would probably do better if Mrs Freeman & Mrs Golder coached it. Our end of half strategy would change.

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2019, 09:32:28 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 23, 2019, 09:19:15 PMInteresting the closeness in stats: FGs Valpo 21-48, UNI 22-50; 3-pts Valpo 5-15, UNI 5-15; Rebs. Valpo 29, UNI 31 (Off Rebs. Valpo 5, UNI 5); Assists Valpo 8, UNI 10; Blocks Valpo 2, UNI 2; Steals Valpo 9, UNI 8. Big difference in the game...fouls: Valpo 17, UNI 11; and free throw shooting: Valpo 6-10, UNI 15-17. Blame goes two ways: 1) Officials seemed to swallow their whistles when Valpo went to the rim, especially missed obvious fouls on Freeman, but were less reluctant to call fouls on the two Valpo bigs, which impacted the game after Valpo pulled within 1 point. 2) Valpo missed free throws again, especially front end of a one-and-one.

With all due respect  you can't just gloss over 16 turnovers (many of which were completely unforced) like that. If anything the closeness in the stats should make you even more frustrated with the coach and the players for their beyond awful execution down the stretch. Like somebody said a game or two ago: same $^&% different game as always.

Yes, Valpo had 4 more turnovers than UNI, but they also had 4 more turnovers in the game that they won over UNI last month 75-66.

VU2014

I spend too much emotional capital in this team and for them not to reciprocate. I like Matt Lottich as a man and as a person but watching his teams are exhausting and taxing on the fan-base. They don't know how to execute on offense and it drives me nuts.

Seriously in his 3 seasons as the head coach it's been exhausting way too many times watching this team try and execute. Some of it is out of his control with the injuries but it's seriously maddening at times. There is potential on this roster but it's not coming together with any consistency. I want to have confidence in this team going forward but I don't have any. One night they could be great but I can't even trust them to beat the worst team in the conference at home in our final game. It's literally exhausting being a fan in the Matt Lottich era.

VUGrad1314

I get the sentiment behind what you're saying VU2014. But I don't get the sense that the team isn't trying or doesn't care it's just that for reasons nobody seems to understand they just... can't... We had these issues during the Drew era too but they were never this bad or this consistent. We just seem like we never can get over the hump and I don't know whose fault that is anymore. Maybe that's just it. Programs like ours have a ceiling and maybe we've reached it. I don't want to believe it but maybe it's true.

PlumStreetBum

Just finished watching the game on replay. It's very tempting to blame officiating in this one, but they would have won this game if they played even halfway decently. Instead they were a dumpster fire.

I really hope those transfers can shoot the rock next year. And, you know, not dribble the ball off their feet out of bounds.

GoldenCrusader87

Well, that was enjoyable. Not the game but the comments. Has the tide finally turned? Are people calling a spade a spade at this point? I don't want to sound like a 7-year old, so I'll keep my comments to an abridged version.

"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." Bruce Lee

Look, everyone, we *should* be better next year but that will mostly be a result of transfers who are higher-caliber players. Yes, the freshmen (if they stay) will be better. I do not blame them - at this point - should they opt to leave. Especially Freeman - he deserves better. Sorry but it's true. As it was said by others, I too will not continue my financial support or purchase season tickets if we offer an extension to a lame duck coach. He's a great guy, but we're at a crossroads. If we want to invest in the program - which was in all likelihood what we sold the MVC on when we got in - it will have to occur with some major systemic changes.

Lottich could salvage things if he's willing to own up to the deficiencies. And, if he brings someone onboard who he's willing to pass the keys over to and change-up the offensive attack. We can run and gun, for sure. Look at how players have changed in their time here... like Golder. He was electrifying when he came in. Undisciplined? Sure. But, electrifying. It was said well by someone else - that's not the way things go with ML. Everything's very calculated. He said it himself - he loves Kiser ... the glue guy. He's not willing to play the risk-reward game with a high-flying approach. He'd rather be calculated and slow things down ... play high-IQ basketball. It could work with the right players. No doubt. It reminds me of David Shaw @ Stanford. Slows things down ... very calculated ... but he can obviously get away with it by recruiting the right players to fit the system. Tough for us with our facilities and only being a mid-major.

Idk what the future holds. But, it's either going to be ML's way as-is and we'll adapt or a mystery ... not sure. time shall tell...

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 23, 2019, 09:03:05 PMAgree.  I think Mommies complaining on Twitter could be the catalyst this team needs!
Sometimes Eddie just has that way with words.  ;)

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2019, 09:17:13 PMKiser and offensive skill?
If John had come out of high school with offensive skills he could have played about anywhere instead of receiving no D-1 offers. Fine defender and rebounder but still so limited on offense.

oklahomamick

Looking at his resume, We thought Lottich would bring more to the table. 

But realistically, how many times has a team promoted the 4th coach on the bench and he became successful?
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Why am I optimistic that UNI 's turnaround is real and pessimistic about Valpo's ability to turn things around even though both schools have had\are having multiyear periods of struggle? Jacobson has done it before and therefore he can do it again. Lottich has not. That's the difference.

NativeCheesehead

Should. Have. Hired. A. Search. Firm. When. Powell. Turned. You. Down. 

nkvu

Would someone who has a basketball background please explain to me what our offense is trying to do?  It seems to me like we have basically two sets. With Jay we set a high ball screen and then dribble drive. With Smits it is dump it down to him then wait to see if he can score or if doubled he kicks to the allegedly open guy on the perimeter.  Both involve basically one player at a time with everyone else standing around. Now if we had a couple of players who can effectively penetrate and finish I could see how the first option could work. Unfortunately we don't have those guys. Sackey can penetrate but at 5'9" (maybe) he can't finish. Maybe someday, but not now.  Freeman will get there as he gets more experience and develops physically, but he can't do it consistently now.  If we had three guys who could knock down threes at a high percentage on the floor I could see how the second option could work. But we haven't had that this this season, maybe due to injuries. We don't run plays that utilize screens off the ball. We don't utilize back cuts.  We don't execute the pick and roll at all because our guards can't put the ball in a place where our bigs can handle it, and our bigs have ping pong paddle hands when it comes to those type of passes anyway. So to be really effective we have to play tough defense, rebound or turn the other team over and beat them down the court before they can set their defense.  Yet too often when we get out on a fast break chance we throw the ball away.  I don't know where I'm going with this other than to say what I think what we're trying to do fails way more often than it succeeds so why are we continuing to do it?  Or do you see it working eventually, hopefully next year. Can ml coach any other system, or do we just not have the players who can execute his system. Will we have them next year, and are we recruiting them for the big class of 2020? 

Now I'll go back to my medicinal scotch to console me over another missed opportunity.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 23, 2019, 11:35:37 PMShould. Have. Hired. A. Search. Firm. When. Powell. Turned. You. Down.

We might have a chance to get him or Diebler anyway if Vandy cans Bryce.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 23, 2019, 11:05:48 PM
Well, that was enjoyable. Not the game but the comments. Has the tide finally turned? Are people calling a spade a spade at this point? I don't want to sound like a 7-year old, so I'll keep my comments to an abridged version.

That's more like it!

I mostly agree with you on this. If the university extends Lottich after another mediocre season, that's a very bad long term sign. But the more I think about it (and I'm not a big fan of the tactical coaching decisions or the offensive strategy), the guy has a tough row to hoe. First time head coach, transition to a tougher conference, I think he should get the chance to go a full three years. But some damned self-accountability would be nice.

The thing to remember to stop some of the doom and gloom from taking hold is this: there are at least 3 other teams praying we don't win our last 2 games, because if we do we could be the 5 seed instead of the 8. We're having a disappointing year, but the Valley is still a close enough league that we might still have a little fun before the curtain falls.

I mean, we're not gonna win Arch Madness, but if we play on Saturday nobody would be surprised; AND, that's progress from last year, hopefully enough that Javon doesn't start second-guessing his choice of university.

On the other hand, we really suck lately... but at least we somehow still have two hands to compare.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2019, 11:42:51 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 23, 2019, 11:35:37 PMShould. Have. Hired. A. Search. Firm. When. Powell. Turned. You. Down.

We might have a chance to get him or Diebler anyway if Vandy cans Bryce.

I'm not sure if any of the 3 were great options as Head Coaches. Bryce likes assistants that are recruiters first. Plus there is no way we offer Powell after he turned us down once. I don't think Bryce or that staff is going anywhere even after this rough season.

I don't think Lottich is going anywhere either. Our future is tied Lottich for better or worse.

JD24

Quote from: nkvu on February 23, 2019, 11:36:46 PMWould someone who has a basketball background please explain to me what our offense is trying to do?  It seems to me like we have basically two sets. With Jay we set a high ball screen and then dribble drive. With Smits it is dump it down to him then wait to see if he can score or if doubled he kicks to the allegedly open guy on the perimeter.  Both involve basically one player at a time with everyone else standing around. Now if we had a couple of players who can effectively penetrate and finish I could see how the first option could work. Unfortunately we don't have those guys. Sackey can penetrate but at 5'9" (maybe) he can't finish. Maybe someday, but not now.  Freeman will get there as he gets more experience and develops physically, but he can't do it consistently now.  If we had three guys who could knock down threes at a high percentage on the floor I could see how the second option could work. But we haven't had that this this season, maybe due to injuries. We don't run plays that utilize screens off the ball. We don't utilize back cuts.  We don't execute the pick and roll at all because our guards can't put the ball in a place where our bigs can handle it, and our bigs have ping pong paddle hands when it comes to those type of passes anyway. So to be really effective we have to play tough defense, rebound or turn the other team over and beat them down the court before they can set their defense.  Yet too often when we get out on a fast break chance we throw the ball away.  I don't know where I'm going with this other than to say what I think what we're trying to do fails way more often than it succeeds so why are we continuing to do it?  Or do you see it working eventually, hopefully next year. Can ml coach any other system, or do we just not have the players who can execute his system. Will we have them next year, and are we recruiting them for the big class of 2020? Now I'll go back to my medicinal scotch to console me over another missed opportunity.
You're right, Valpo doesn't have a lot of effective penetrators.

They make up for it by not having very many good 3 point shooters.