• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

JD24

When it comes to the makeup of the roster, I think we're forgetting that the more recent teams under Bryce were essentially built around two players in Broekhoff and Peters and when Peters was a freshman and Broekhoff was gone, the team was a non dominant HL team. Put either of those two players on the current roster and all of the sudden things are a bit rosier. Take them off the squads they played on (under Bryce) and those teams may have been similar to the current team. Lottich was a much better coach when he had Peters as well.

I'm not stumping for Lottich to either remain or be let go but the thought that he was handed a solid roster which had the best player in the league in his senior year playing and he frittered it away is a bit misleading unless he was expected to recruit a player of equal ability....no easy task.

valpopal

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 09, 2019, 07:11:05 AM
Quote from: may know on March 09, 2019, 01:24:08 AM
Barry Hinson is a lot better man than I. If fans said those things to me, I would've taken matters in my own hands.

That was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen at/following a basketball game.

What happened?

Barry is done.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2019/03/09/barry-hinson-steps-down-at-southern-illinois/

No inside info, but I would expect Bryan Mullins to get interviewed as a replacement for Hinson.

may know

Hinson completed his final interview by press row. The moment he took of the headset, SIU fans chanted "YOU SUCK!" "YOU SUCK!", jeered in unison, and some threw brutal insults at Barry which caught his attention.

It was so uncomfortable it made my stomach turn.

valpo64

It scares me to think what a few of our posters on this board would do or say if they had the chance to blow off like some of  those Southern Illinois fans did to Barry Hinson.  That was a disgrace!  It must be an easy job because some people have all the answers as evidenced by some of our posters.

a3uge

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 08, 2019, 07:54:25 PM
The fact of the matter is that Lottich has turned in the only two back-to-back losing seasons that featured losing conference records since the 92-93 season. That's a quarter-century of success thrown away. After inheriting a completely loaded roster in season one.

Which "loaded" recruits did Lottich inherit that played during these last two years? Part of the reason we've been so bad these past two years is a lack of Junior and Senior talent that have been in the program. Lottich inherited 3 empty scholarships and had to fill them with transfers since it was too late in the process to find uncommitted high schoolers.

I'm not a fan of Lottich, but let's not pretend he was left with a bunch of stellar recruits and young players.

crusader05

I would also like to say that acting like two bad years is throwing everything away feels a bit overly pessimistic to me. We have a good year next year and it's like the last two didn't happen.

I also agree with the other poster who commented on how if Peters never comes/doesn't live up to his potential and we wouldn't have nearly as high as expectations for this program. He was a stellar recruit but we are also really lucky he was the type that had a chip on his shoulder about being ignored and a desire to be the big fish in the small pond. But either way, We are better and should demand better than what happened this season BUT we were maybe not as securely strong as we liked to think but also probably no where near the edge of the cliff like it feels right now.

usc4valpo

first of all, please do not make statements that this was a successful conference tournament performance by Valpo. Second, there are bigger issues besides the coach with this program. The frugality of the university is ridiculas.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 08, 2019, 08:59:17 PM
What did you expect? Did you think we were going to beat this Loyola team? We got trucked in Chicago without Fazekas and the only reason we almost won at home was because we fed off a raucous spirited high energy crowd. This team this year isn't good enough to beat Loyola on the road or a neutral floor and to believe otherwise requires the smoking of some very high quality stuff.

I wasn't expecting a win, but thought they might compete with a Loyola team ranked #121 at KenPom.  Is that asking too much?  I guess so.  It appears the bar is constantly being lowered.

valpo64

This Loyola/Moser talk is getting old.  For 4 years his teams did nothing when they went to the MVC, in fact many were making fun of him and Loyola for the lack of success and that The Valley should have chosen us before Loyola.  He has one, maybe 2 decent recruiting years, with a number of transfers, has one great year and now he is "The Man"?  We had the same thing a few years ago.  You dont start off  and all of a sudden and have a great program/tradition  when stepping up to a much higher level of competition like the MVC.  This bashing of Matt L is getting old...so many cheap shots and it is so easy to do especially by people who have all the answers.  A few years ago we praise Matt LaB for promoting from within, like the Butler folks do, and for making for the most part, many good hires for new  coaches.  Now some want him out too.  Lighten up folks.  Let's make our judgments  after next year when we hopefully have a healthy and solid returning team.  After all, next year Matt L is actually on his third year of having "his own recruits" and implementing his system.  His first year he inherited Bryce"s mess, lost our top recruiter and some staff.  Some of the remarks made  on this board don't help recruiting either.  If some of you would have been around when Homer first took over, the Drew era would have not existed as he would have been run out of town before Scott or Bryce were old enough to be ball boys.  Since when did any newcomer to a new conference that is ranked much high than from which they came, suddenly finish at or near the top in their new league.  I believe it particularly takes longer  to find success with such a move when a school is in the Mid-major range.  Let's lighten up and look forward to next year  when we can put forth more comments on a positive note.  GO VALPO! 

a3uge

Loyola loses to Bradley. UNI favored by 3 over Drake. Not a good outcome for the MVC.

NativeCheesehead

Brian Wardle winning makes me sad.

EddieCabot

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2019, 04:27:17 PM
Loyola loses to Bradley. UNI favored by 3 over Drake. Not a good outcome for the MVC.

So Valpo shouldn't expect to beat mighty Loyola, but Wardle does?  Crazy. 

bigmosmithfan1

Looking at the boxscore and trying to figure out how Loyola lost this game. They actually won most of the statistical categories, and committed 6 fewer turnovers than Bradley. Both teams missed 2 FTs and there were only 11 FTs combined in the entire game. Sounds like the refs allowed a wrestling match and there had to be a lot of coin-flip plays that went Bradley's way today.

EddieCabot

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 09, 2019, 04:53:22 PM
Looking at the boxscore and trying to figure out how Loyola lost this game. They actually won most of the statistical categories, and committed 6 fewer turnovers than Bradley. Both teams missed 2 FTs and there were only 11 FTs combined in the entire game. Sounds like the refs allowed a wrestling match and there had to be a lot of coin-flip plays that went Bradley's way today.

I watched the game and thought that Bradley just outplayed them for most of the game.  I don't think they got a bunch of calls, but just my opinion from watching the game ... I haven't had a chance to look at the boxscore yet.

oklahomamick

Can't have Wardle going to the dance....Or a 16 seed....
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Gotta pull for Drake now. Be tough without McGlynn.

Figures he got hurt on a dirty play from Yarabourgh.

bigmosmithfan1

Nobody deserves to be verbally abused like Hinson reportedly was after the game yesterday, so let's get that out of the way first. Hopefully the culprits are on video somewhere and can be appropriately held up for shame.

As for an objective look at Hinson's record, the guy is merely an okay coach his entire career who has kept getting gigs because he talks a much better game than he coaches -- particularly the "molder of men" and "I'll teach these spoiled kids a thing or two" type of stuff that administrators and older, well-heeled alums eat up like a buffet. His teams were rarely good enough to win anything, but were never bad enough to fire him over. To be fair, at the P5 level, that probably gets you a handful of NCAA appearances and who knows what happens after that. But at the midmajor level, that gets you a program in purgatory. That's about as much as you can say about it.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 09, 2019, 04:30:38 PMSo Valpo shouldn't expect to beat mighty Loyola, but Wardle does? 

Brian Wardle is my hero. If I ever grow up I want be just like him.  :thumbsup: Am I still the only guy on this board who respects his knowledge and methods?

Bradley was 0-5 when I declared them officially dead on the MVC fan board. My timing was perfect. Does that make me a perfect fool?

NativeCheesehead

The more of this I watch, the more I realize how mediocre the MVC was this year, and the more I realize how much we sucked.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on March 09, 2019, 03:46:34 PM
This Loyola/Moser talk is getting old.  For 4 years his teams did nothing when they went to the MVC, in fact many were making fun of him and Loyola for the lack of success and that The Valley should have chosen us before Loyola.  He has one, maybe 2 decent recruiting years, with a number of transfers, has one great year and now he is "The Man"?

It was fun watching Loyola last year - Final Four, Sister Jean, etc., but despite a talented group of returning players, including the MVC POY and 2 other top 10 players, they can't get out of the conf. tournament semifinals a year later. Thus, they win a national championship in 1963, go catatonic for 55 years, then suddenly reappear for a 1-year stand. At this point I'm not concerned about playing 2nd fiddle to Loyola again till 2073. I will say this, on the rare occasions they make a splash, they really do it up right.

Has anyone ever seen the movie Awakenings?

oklahomamick

The two best teams, Loyola and Drake will not be playing in the Championship game.  This is turning into Motor City Madness.
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Holy heck. It's like the whole league got together and said, "How so we make Valpo's crappy season look even crappier?"

usc4valpo

Valpo does not need help from the MVC for their did not meet expectations season.

VULB#62

i can sorta make out what you guys are saying, but it would be great if you'd click on Moidify and clean up your posts.  ;)

PlumStreetBum

Valpo64, I know I'm one of the ones frustrating you with criticism of Lottich's coaching. Can you give an example of a 'cheap shot'? I'd be happy to apologise for any I've taken, my intent is to criticize, not insult.

Damn, it sucks that Loyola lost. MVC will get a terrible seed now. Anybody know if NIT money gets shared with the conference, by chance? I bet not...