• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Football Schedule

Started by valpofb16, March 15, 2019, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Barring any late adjustments here is the 2019 football schedule

29-Aug   at Eastern Kentucky(216)   Richmond, KY.
7-Jul   Bye   
14-Sep   Central Connecticut(231)   Valparaiso, IN.
21-Sep   at Truman State(373)   Kirksville, MO.
5-Oct   at Drake(204)           Des Moines, IA
12-Oct   Dayton(236)           Valparaiso, IN.
19-Oct   at San Diego(183)     San Diego, Calif.
26-Oct   Stetson(258)           Valparaiso, IN.
2-Nov   at Davidson(340)       Davidson, NC
9-Nov   Morehead St.(391)   Valparaiso, IN.
16-Nov   at Bulter(335)           Indianapolis,IN.
23-Nov   Marist(278)                Valparaiso, IN.

No Jacksonville
All parenthesis numbers based off last season Massey Rating, brutal first 7 games

JD24

2019 Valpo exchanges the team rated lowest by Massey with the team rated highest in PFL.

Morehead St. is only other PFL program behind Valpo in ratings.

Central Connecticut and Eastern Kentucky are fairly closely ranked but behind San Diego and Drake with Dayton at a similar level as Central Connecticut and EKU.

Truman State is ranked in the top third of Div II programs and beat Valpo last year.

Definitely a tough schedule.

bbtds

November 16 will probably be a cold day but not necessarily. Here's hoping for a warmer day in Indy. It's been a while since I've seen a Valpo football game live in Indy. I was out of town the last time Valpo played at Butler.

The October 12 game at Brown Field against Dayton will be a huge game for Coach Fox. Might be worth a trip to Valpo and certainly should be a lot warmer than that Nov. 16 game in Indy.

VULB#62

I like the July 7th bye. It gives us a good break between EKU and CCSU for recovery and preparation. If EKU. Is anything like the EKU we previously faced, it'll be a body bag game and we will need that time.

CCSU has a similar problem to ours. They lost their HC around January 23rd. They went 6-5 last year and lost in the final game of the season to Duquesne by a similar margin as us.

Truman State beat us last year because we couldn't stop their offense. Maybe Fox's system and game planning can give us an edge even though it is a road game.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 09:04:40 AM
I like the July 7th bye. It gives us a good break between EKU and CCSU for recovery and preparation. If EKU. Is anything like the EKU we previously faced, it'll be a body bag game and we will need that time.

CCSU has a similar problem to ours. They lost their HC around January 23rd. They went 6-5 last year and lost in the final game of the season to Duquesne by a similar margin as us.

Truman State beat us last year because we couldn't stop their offense. Maybe Fox's system and game planning can give us an edge even though it is a road game.
At first I thought you were being sarcastic about the July 7th bye, but then you stated a very good point about the bye being great for recovery and preparation between EKU and CCSU. However, I just can't let this propagate from one post to the next, the date should be September 7th, and no I don't want to be called the date police.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

I was  bit snarly, wasn't I  ::). But it is easy to see that it really was September.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 09:04:40 AMI like the July 7th bye. It gives us a good break between EKU and CCSU for recovery and preparation. If EKU. Is anything like the EKU we previously faced, it'll be a body bag game and we will need that time. CCSU has a similar problem to ours. They lost their HC around January 23rd. They went 6-5 last year and lost in the final game of the season to Duquesne by a similar margin as us. Truman State beat us last year because we couldn't stop their offense. Maybe Fox's system and game planning can give us an edge even though it is a road game.
It wouldn't surprise me if CCSU was at the same level as EKU. The last time EKU played Valpo they had a better team and that was Cecchini's 2nd season which is a season I have no idea what he was attempting to accomplish. It was an absolute mess. It think that particular game was missing a number of players (15 or so) due to suspension.

VULB#62

I kinda disagree 24. This is NEC vs. OVC.  There is a bit of a drop-off there.  The
Patriot League and Ivyies beat up on most of the NEC. I admit that I have not tracked EKU in the seasons after our loss to them, but they go the whole boat on FCS scholarships. They also attract some good transfers every now and then. I'm from New England and, sorry to say, football talent is not that great there and so FBS teams go elsewhere (PA, OH, FL, etc.) to import their talent. Top tier FCS schools (CAA, Patriot, Ivy) scoff up the rest. The NEC is #4 in the pecking order for talent.

All that being said, a game against every NEC team is a struggle for us - even Wagner (who BTW, backed out of a H&H and went to the FCS a couple of years ago). If we play like we played at Montana (Dang, I wish we could schedule Montana State or Montana [again] ) we would have a good chance.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 09:04:40 AMI like the July 7th bye. It gives us a good break between EKU and CCSU for recovery and preparation. If EKU. Is anything like the EKU we previously faced, it'll be a body bag game and we will need that time.

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2019, 10:15:21 AMHowever, I just can't let this propagate from one post to the next, the date should be September 7th, and no I don't want to be called the date police.

The real date police, Officer Sadanand Date, of the Mumbai Police Force, a hero of the 26/11 terriorist attacks in Mumbai.

Also does anyone remember when Valpo and CCSU were in the same basketball conference and what the name of their star center was who later played in the NBA?

Also what was the nickname of CCSU which was the same as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference?

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2019, 12:19:58 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 09:04:40 AMI like the July 7th bye. It gives us a good break between EKU and CCSU for recovery and preparation. If EKU. Is anything like the EKU we previously faced, it'll be a body bag game and we will need that time.

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2019, 10:15:21 AMHowever, I just can't let this propagate from one post to the next, the date should be September 7th, and no I don't want to be called the date police.

The real date police, Officer Sadanand Date, of the Mumbai Police Force, a hero of the 26/11 terriorist attacks in Mumbai.

Also does anyone remember when Valpo and CCSU were in the same basketball conference and what the name of their star center was who later played in the NBA?

Also what was the nickname of CCSU which was the same as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference?

Keith Closs
Blue Devils
CCSU was added to the Mid-Con after the mass exodus to the Horizon. We raided the East Coast Conference (or it collapsed first) adding CCSU, Buffalo, Chicago State and NE Illinois. That may have also been the year that UMKC and Centenary were added.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 17, 2019, 07:52:26 AMKeith Closs
Blue Devils
CCSU was added to the Mid-Con after the mass exodus to the Horizon. We raided the East Coast Conference (or it collapsed first) adding CCSU, Buffalo, Chicago State and NE Illinois. That may have also been the year that UMKC and Centenary were added.

All correct.

Keith Closs was 7'2" and played 4 years in the NBA for the Clippers.

From the East Coast Conference wikipedia page:

The winds of realignment would sweep across intercollegiate athletics in full force as the next decade dawned. Bucknell, Lafayette, and Lehigh left to help form the Patriot League in 1990, while Delaware and Drexel headed to the North Atlantic Conference in 1991. Attempting to stem the tide, the ECC added UMBC and Central Connecticut in 1990, followed by Division I newcomers Buffalo and Brooklyn in 1991.

More erosion ensued as Rider, Towson, and UMBC moved to other leagues after the 1991-92 campaign, while Brooklyn suspended its entire athletic department. This reduced the ECC to just 3 members -- Hofstra, Central Connecticut, and Buffalo -- not enough to maintain official conference status under NCAA bylaws during the 1992-93 season. Unable to move elsewhere themselves, that trio made one last salvage effort.

Spreading far and wide, Chicago State, Northeastern Illinois, and Troy State were enlisted, doubling participation to 6 teams for the 1993-94 academic year. Finally, the ECC was absorbed by the Mid-Continent Conference (now The Summit League) in the summer of 1994, although Hofstra instead decided to join the North Atlantic Conference. None of the 5 ECC institutions which entered the Mid-Con at that time remain in the league today.

Kizer, the CCSU Blue Devil mascot

IndyValpo

Completely forgot about Troy State...

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 10:52:31 PMI kinda disagree 24. This is NEC vs. OVC.  There is a bit of a drop-off there.  The Patriot League and Ivyies beat up on most of the NEC.
You may be right and we both may be talking more about the level of destruction but the rankings from end of last season have the two programs pretty close.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on March 17, 2019, 10:16:56 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 10:52:31 PMI kinda disagree 24. This is NEC vs. OVC.  There is a bit of a drop-off there.  The Patriot League and Ivyies beat up on most of the NEC.
You may be right and we both may be talking more about the level of destruction but the rankings from end of last season have the two programs pretty close.

Looking at Sagarin 2018, it would appear that the OVC > NEC and EKU > CCSU.  But the separation in each caregory is probably not that overwhelmining significant. BTW, EKU was 7-4 last year. Also BTW, former VU defensive coach Kurt Mattix is still their DC and has been given credit for improving their D in each of his four years.

Bottom line for me is that we open with the tougher EKU and then have that extra week to prep for CCSU. Last year we opened with a winnable Duquesne followed immediately with a pissed off YSU.

JD24

Sagarin had EKU at 197 and CCON at 206. Massey was a tad closer but not much. Not a heck of a lot of difference in rankings in that rank area.

NWIGuy

2019 Schedule has been finalized w/Charleston replacing Malone as HC opponent...

http://valpoathletics.com/football/schedule/

JD24

Coach Teegardin played and coached at UCWV. Decent Div II program.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 17, 2019, 03:17:43 PM
Coach Teegardin played and coached at UCWV. Decent Div II program.

Another example of poor planning by the Athletic Department.  It is HOMECOMING people!  So we get a game not against the College of Charleston (actually located in Charleston,SC--(do they have a football team?) but rather against The University of Charleston, located in friggin West Virginia!  Alumni will be overwhelmed.  Who are we playing?  Where are they from?  What happened to playing Ball State and Indiana State?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on April 17, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: JD24 on April 17, 2019, 03:17:43 PMCoach Teegardin played and coached at UCWV. Decent Div II program.
Another example of poor planning by the Athletic Department.  It is HOMECOMING people!  So we get a game not against the College of Charleston (actually located in Charleston,SC--(do they have a football team?) but rather against The University of Charleston, located in friggin West Virginia!  Alumni will be overwhelmed.  Who are we playing?  Where are they from?  What happened to playing Ball State and Indiana State?
Is attendance at homecoming dictated by the opponent or by the chance to win?

The original opponent was Malone.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 17, 2019, 04:00:58 PM
Quote from: JD24 on April 17, 2019, 03:17:43 PMCoach Teegardin played and coached at UCWV. Decent Div II program.
Is attendance at homecoming dictated by the opponent or by the chance to win?

The original opponent was Malone.

Which would have been worse.  I have heard discussions among fellow former players like..."who are we playing?  Never even heard of them"  Attendance may be more a factor of the weather but a decent, "name" opponent or even a conference opponent would certainly help.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on April 17, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
Is attendance at homecoming dictated by the opponent or by the chance to win? The original opponent was Malone.
Which would have been worse.  I have heard discussions among fellow former players like..."who are we playing?  Never even heard of them"  Attendance may be more a factor of the weather but a decent, "name" opponent or even a conference opponent would certainly help.
With CConn and EKU already on the schedule, you really want the team playing Ball State? I think a chance to win is better than a chance to get crushed. Unless Homecoming is scheduled during the conference season, I think a lot of teams schedule teams they can beat. Davidson has WV Wesleyan.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 17, 2019, 04:36:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 17, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
Is attendance at homecoming dictated by the opponent or by the chance to win? The original opponent was Malone.
With CConn and EKU already on the schedule, you really want the team playing Ball State? I think a chance to win is better than a chance to get crushed. Unless Homecoming is scheduled during the conference season, I think a lot of teams schedule teams they can beat. Davidson has WV Wesleyan.

I really wasn't suggesting that Ball State would be a good opponent, only that older alumni would remember playing them and not playing Hulahoop u.  Agreed that winning is a good thing.  As for conference opponents, we managed to get Davidson in here for Homecoming last year.

valpotx

I like having 2 scholarship FCS and 2 scholarship D2 programs.  Good schedule!
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

I like that it's every-other-Saturday at home...