• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Breaking news!!

Started by vu72, April 22, 2019, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Marijuana is a gateway drug and should not be legalized except in rare instances where it has been proven to be effective in the treatment of serious medical conditions. 

I might feel differently about legalization if this country had a track record of moderation in the use of consumer products, but we don't.

It is only a matter of time before some guy who is high plows into a group of seven year olds waiting for a school bus, killing several and maiming others.  Then we will see how popular legalization is.

Paul

NativeCheesehead

About two dozen DUI related deaths per day. Back to prohibition then.

JD24

Quote from: VUBBFan on April 23, 2019, 02:04:19 PMI kind of equate smoking weed and underage drinking as about the same. It's something that happens all the time. News of this happening on College campuses and parties are not surprising events. It is almost a rite of passage for College students to participate in these activities. It's been glamorized and made fun of in so many movies ( Animal House, American Pie, etc. ) Going to College is more than just education. It's a time to grow up on one's own. To have fun, socialize, make stupid mistakes and learn from them to become responsible adults. We can debate about the justiciability of using marijuana or underage drinking, but it still comes down to the fact that it is unlawful at this time and there are consequences to doing such. Also if one wishes to participate or be part of something they must be prepared to abide by the rules that apply to their participation. As I said before College kids tend to make bone headed decisions ( Lord knows I made enough myself ), so I believe they should be given a little slack or second chance to prove themselves capable of learning and taking responsibility for their actions (for minor infractions). As such I feel Mileek's punishment is just and he deserves a second chance as long as he learns from it. For Micah I feel so disappointed in him. He was given a chance to stay clean and out of trouble but obviously did not, therefore jeopardizing his future and scholarship. For a person who has been given gifts or opportunities, to take them so lightly, means that they didn't deserve them in the first place. I wish them well but please gain some practical knowledge from this experience. If you don't learn from your mistakes you are doomed to failure.
Thanks for the reasonable post

78crusader

I assume everyone here is against driving while impaired.  In the case of alcohol, there is an identifiable parameter to determine impairment -- 0.08 BAC in most states.  There is no adequate parameter to police marijuana use since there is no set limit of the level of THC that renders one impaired.  This problem is magnified since THC can linger in the bloodstream for several weeks. 

Paul

SanityLost17

I am curious to see who gets punished worse: 

Robert Kraft by the NFL
or
Micah Bradford by Valpo University

If Robert Kraft gets a fine from the NFL and continues to be allowed to be an owner of an NFL team and Micah is removed from the team/university, it will say a lot about our country on a multitude of levels that are too extensive to discuss on this message board. 

usc4valpo

Criminalizing cannibus at this day and age is an absolute joke and a waste of tax money.

humbleopinion

Quote from: 78crusader on April 23, 2019, 04:59:45 PM
I assume everyone here is against driving while impaired.  In the case of alcohol, there is an identifiable parameter to determine impairment -- 0.08 BAC in most states.  There is no adequate parameter to police marijuana use since there is no set limit of the level of THC that renders one impaired.  This problem is magnified since THC can linger in the bloodstream for several weeks. 

Paul

Canada has started using a saliva test.  As the opportunity for profit arises, I'm sure companies will come up with effective products.
https://nationalpost.com/cannabis/federal-government-approves-first-device-for-testing-drivers-saliva-for-cannabis

Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

So how many tweets by the VUTV account on Micah and Mileek in the last two days?

Today a student was arrested for filming other students in the shower and posting it online.   

Nothing.

JD24

I don't recall the cries for the resignation or firing of the Basketball, Football, M&W Soccer and Volleyball programs back in 2013(?) when half the athletic program was nailed for underage drinking.

I realize this type of situation is fodder for the self righteous amongst us but a small amount of perspective is needed for some.

The other thing is on those who fault the coach for not having a grip on the situation. I have been on and near campus and witnessed parents of athletes doing exactly what our fine members of the basketball team have been accused of. This isn't saying anything about the parents of the athletes involved here but is more of a retort to the opinion of what a coach can control and what he can't.

JD24

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2019, 07:07:44 PMSo how many tweets by the VUTV account on Micah and Mileek in the last two days? Today a student was arrested for filming other students in the shower and posting it online. Nothing.
Correct. 2nd of a similar incident identified in the last couple of weeks. We have a student lurking in the woman's dorms in one case and another student filming other students in the shower and posting it online. I'm a lot more concerned about the personal safety issues than a couple of basketball players chiefing up.

VUBBFan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 23, 2019, 07:07:44 PMSo how many tweets by the VUTV account on Micah and Mileek in the last two days? Today a student was arrested for filming other students in the shower and posting it online. Nothing.

If you watch the VUTV broadcast they also talk about that after the Micah Mileek story.

NativeCheesehead

After the Ball players smoking weed.

I can tell you which I would be more concerned about as a parent.

valpotx

Quote from: JD24 on April 23, 2019, 07:32:14 PM
Correct. 2nd of a similar incident identified in the last couple of weeks. We have a student lurking in the woman's dorms in one case and another student filming other students in the shower and posting it online. I'm a lot more concerned about the personal safety issues than a couple of basketball players chiefing up.

Anyone remember JP Tenuta? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on April 23, 2019, 09:03:13 PM
Lord of the Dance!

vu84v2

Quote from: tiny707 on April 22, 2019, 06:15:23 PM
Not happy with VUTV breaking the story...not promoting the "Valpo Brand". They should be banned from our NCAA news conference next year.

Perhaps Brian Wardle can come over to Valparaiso and provide some consulting on how to control the media.

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on April 23, 2019, 04:27:37 PMIt is only a matter of time before some guy who is high plows into a group of seven year olds waiting for a school bus, killing several and maiming others.  Then we will see how popular legalization is.

Sure thing. It would kinda be like Sandy Hook and all those kids killed.  We immediately took action!  Oh wait...that was New Zealand.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Me already anticipating the next three pages of this thread.

valpotx

Quote from: JD24 on April 23, 2019, 09:41:32 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 23, 2019, 09:03:13 PM
Lord of the Dance!

Wow, didn't know he went that direction.  His was a video scandal before there were video scandals.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I don't understand any discussion about Micah that does not address the fact he was arrested last year and given a second chance—carried by the team even as an injured player thus taking up a valuable scholarship slot—yet repeated the exact same actions again, but also drew his teammate Mileek into the mess this time. I don't care what the infraction was, what people think about the law or its enforcement, or any attempts by some to mitigate his actions. What I care about is Micah's refusal to recognize the opportunity he was given and his betrayal of the trust offered after his previous behavior, a signal of disrespect to all who displayed support for him, including the coaching staff. I'd be in complete agreement if the decision of the program were that he has forfeited his place on the roster. 

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2019, 10:33:35 PMI don't understand any discussion about Micah that does not address the fact he was arrested last year and given a second chance—carried by the team even as an injured player thus taking up a valuable scholarship slot—yet repeated the exact same actions again, but also drew his teammate Mileek into the mess this time. I don't care what the infraction was, what people think about the law or its enforcement, or any attempts by some to mitigate his actions. What I care about is Micah's refusal to recognize the opportunity he was given and his betrayal of the trust offered after his previous behavior, a signal of disrespect to all who displayed support for him, including the coaching staff. I'd be in complete agreement if the decision of the program were that he has forfeited his place on the roster.
I agree with it all except the part about dragging Mileek into it. Who knows what the dynamics are in this case.

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on April 25, 2019, 03:17:53 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2019, 10:33:35 PMI don't understand any discussion about Micah that does not address the fact he was arrested last year and given a second chance—carried by the team even as an injured player thus taking up a valuable scholarship slot—yet repeated the exact same actions again, but also drew his teammate Mileek into the mess this time. I don't care what the infraction was, what people think about the law or its enforcement, or any attempts by some to mitigate his actions. What I care about is Micah's refusal to recognize the opportunity he was given and his betrayal of the trust offered after his previous behavior, a signal of disrespect to all who displayed support for him, including the coaching staff. I'd be in complete agreement if the decision of the program were that he has forfeited his place on the roster.
I agree with it all except the part about dragging Mileek into it. Who knows what the dynamics are in this case.

I was just going by what I read in the police report, which stated the activity happened at a site of Micah's residence and Micah's girlfriend supplied the substance. Of course, Mileek was at fault as well for participating.

Fantofan

Tracking this thread as well as the newspaper articles and found some interesting views. 1. It says the 1st arrest against Bradford was  dismissed (either wrongfully arrested or not enough evidence to charge with any possession charge or otherwise) 2. The 2nd arrest neither player (Mileek or Bradford)  were found with possession and no substance was found in or on the players property which sounds like an even lesser accusation than the 1st. The young lady involved is said to be a friend to multiple players in the program (no specific relationship  to anyone particular) and was allegedly found with what was said to be ashes of a substance and thereby probably should've been the only one arrested legally. Contrary to what was said in one report I understand that the players did not admit smoking anything. 3. On a comical note someone said Micah's license said he was 6'0 and 140 the information seems to be when he 1st got his license at 16yrs old and is neither here nor there but comical.

I do however find it a bit harsh that although these players put or allowed themselves to be regarded in this light from an accusation standpoint most are imputing an ultimate penalty when legally there have been 0 convictions. The 1st suspension Micah received was for missing the appeals meeting of which he was in a team workout and missed his time slot (not very smart or responsible) and was therefore forced to serve 2 game suspension not because he was arrested.

Mileek and Micah should've made sure to never allow themselves to be in these situations without a doubt but being accused of things and convicted of things are drastically different and condemning the players as a result of accusations seems a bit harsh.

In this day and time we have to be careful what we put together as facts from Social Media and some Media outlets and regard them as information we use to judge others!

EddieCabot

Quote from: Fantofan on April 26, 2019, 05:01:23 AM
Tracking this thread as well as the newspaper articles and found some interesting views. 1. It says the 1st arrest against Bradford was  dismissed (either wrongfully arrested or not enough evidence to charge with any possession charge or otherwise) 2. The 2nd arrest neither player (Mileek or Bradford)  were found with possession and no substance was found in or on the players property which sounds like an even lesser accusation than the 1st. The young lady involved is said to be a friend to multiple players in the program (no specific relationship  to anyone particular) and was allegedly found with what was said to be ashes of a substance and thereby probably should've been the only one arrested legally. Contrary to what was said in one report I understand that the players did not admit smoking anything. 3. On a comical note someone said Micah's license said he was 6'0 and 140 the information seems to be when he 1st got his license at 16yrs old and is neither here nor there but comical.

I do however find it a bit harsh that although these players put or allowed themselves to be regarded in this light from an accusation standpoint most are imputing an ultimate penalty when legally there have been 0 convictions. The 1st suspension Micah received was for missing the appeals meeting of which he was in a team workout and missed his time slot (not very smart or responsible) and was therefore forced to serve 2 game suspension not because he was arrested.

Mileek and Micah should've made sure to never allow themselves to be in these situations without a doubt but being accused of things and convicted of things are drastically different and condemning the players as a result of accusations seems a bit harsh.

In this day and time we have to be careful what we put together as facts from Social Media and some Media outlets and regard them as information we use to judge others!

Welcome to the board!  You make a lot of solid points here.  I think it is wise to let the legal process play out before anyone (Valpo athletic department included) draws conclusions. 

GoldenCrusader87

So well said. Being on scholarship is a privilege. After the first offense and then sitting out an entire year due to injury - he had an opportunity to redeem himself. And blew it. Suspended indefinitely is hopefully due to the need for due process. However, the report clearly states his admittance to the offense. Even if things get dropped, he deserves to be dismissed from the team. It will help - in the big scheme of things - to either teach him a lifelong lesson OR prove this is the way he does business. We live in a state where it's illegal. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Also, these athletes choose to sign on the dotted line when accepting a scholarship and membership of an ncaa-regulated athletic team. First offense - fine. Doesn't learn from it and does it again? Goodbye.

M

Mileek and Micah will both be at The Courts as instructors in a free kids basketball clinic tonight. Planning to take my 8 year old son. Hope they're only teaching on the court activities.