• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Breaking news!!

Started by vu72, April 22, 2019, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

The case against Micah from last year was dismissed on 10/30/2018.  Mycase.in.gov Micah Bradford

It seems that the University is punishing Micah as a second time offender despite the fact that the State dismissed all of the charges from the 2018 arrest. I find that interesting in today's climate of reduced responsibility and victimhood culture. This is probably a good thing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

EddieCabot

Quote from: FWalum on April 26, 2019, 01:01:04 PM
The case against Micah from last year was dismissed on 10/30/2018.  Mycase.in.gov Micah Bradford

It seems that the University is punishing Micah as a second time offender despite the fact that the State dismissed all of the charges from the 2018 arrest. I find that interesting in today's climate of reduced responsibility and victimhood culture. This is probably a good thing.

Micah entered a Pretrial Diversion Program and the charges were dropped once he successfully completed the program.  It appeared to be a 6 month program based on the timing of the court's actions.  (I assume the first charges can't be reinstated due to the 2nd arrest, but I don't know that for sure).

I'll defer to the lawyers who post here, but it's my understanding that in order to participate in a Diversion program, the individual must first make a written admission of the offense.  So, despite having the charges dropped, he likely did admit to the charges.

It might be splitting hairs, but I view that situation a little differently than having charges dismissed due to lack of evidence or legitimate doubt of whether an illegal act took place.  In any case, that might be why the University is considering his latest arrest as a 2nd offense.

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on April 26, 2019, 01:01:04 PM

If I'm reading the documents correctly, it looks like he didn't get his $1500 bond back.  Could be akin to the actor in Chicago getting his charges dropped though he forfeited his bail. (But what do I know! ???)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 26, 2019, 01:25:39 PMMicah entered a Pretrial Diversion Program and the charges were dropped once he successfully completed the program.
Yes,  I see that now, should've looked at it a little bit more carefully. You're probably right when you say the university would see that as a second offense and not a true dismissal of the charges. Good catch.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUBBFan

I may be off on this, so correct me if I am, but the university has it's own rules of conduct and standards that they can punish or discipline students for. It doesn't necessarily mean that students have to break a state or federal law to be penalized for something. Cheating on an exam is not against the law, but there are repercussions that the student will probably have to face from the university. I believe that the university looks at these situations and how they reflect on the school to determine what disciplinary action it takes. As such their punishment to a student doesn't necessarily mean that they broke the law. 

4throwfan

VUBBFan, one thing that bolsters your point is that Mileek has not been convicted, but he has already received his sentence of punishment from the University.

GoldenCrusader87

Right - I hope for both of their sakes that the cases can be dropped legally. As for basketball, we have to uphold standards for codes of conduct violations. First time offenses are one thing - repeated offenses that do not show a change in behavior are something very different. They're kids. They don't need these things to impact their futures after their VU bball days are over. It's an entirely different story for repeat offenders when it comes to privileges they have as scholarship athletes.

justducky

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on April 26, 2019, 03:25:44 PM
Right - I hope for both of their sakes that the cases can be dropped legally. As for basketball, we have to uphold standards for codes of conduct violations. First time offenses are one thing - repeated offenses that do not show a change in behavior are something very different. They're kids. They don't need these things to impact their futures after their VU bball days are over. It's an entirely different story for repeat offenders when it comes to privileges they have as scholarship athletes.

I totally agree. In this case I'm viewing the weed use as nothing more than a training violation, but training rules are established to be followed. Marijuana use might conceivably help a golfer with his putting, or maybe a bowler with his release but its effects on basketball individual and team development can not be good! Or so I hear.
;)   ::)

VU2014

I'm glad they are in good spirits. Micah and Mileek may have screwed up and made a mistake but both are still good kids.

https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/1121938551506112512

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on April 26, 2019, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: FWalum on April 26, 2019, 01:01:04 PMThe case against Micah from last year was dismissed on 10/30/2018.  Mycase.in.gov Micah Bradford It seems that the University is punishing Micah as a second time offender despite the fact that the State dismissed all of the charges from the 2018 arrest. I find that interesting in today's climate of reduced responsibility and victimhood culture. This is probably a good thing.
If I'm reading the documents correctly, it looks like he didn't get his $1500 bond back.  Could be akin to the actor in Chicago getting his charges dropped though he forfeited his bail. (But what do I know! ???)
Did he put up $1500 or 10% of $1500 (typical of bond) or $150. That would be held by the court to cover court costs and/or the cost of the diversion program.

The Student-Athlete handbook outlines that a diversion for this type of offense is treated as a class II misconduct of the code of conduct for athletes.

This may also be a violation of the student athlete drug policy even though he has not likely failed a test.  The punishment for drug positives as laid out in the handbook are with no other code of conduct violation a referral to OADE and a meeting with AD and Coach. With a previous CoC violation also adds a suspension. A second drug test failure refers you to OADE, no meeting and another suspension. Third failure and your gone from the school. So, despite the hard asses wishes, it appears a second suspension is what Bradford should receive unless we're going to ignore the guidelines. If we ignore them, why have them?

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on April 26, 2019, 07:49:46 PMI'm glad they are in good spirits. Micah and Mileek may have screwed up and made a mistake but both are still good kids. https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/1121938551506112512

To their credit it would have been easy to bail on this to stay out of sight.

https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/1121945304289480706

elephtheria47

You pay the complete cash bond in Indiana and 10% of a surety bond. So Micah, or someone on his behalf, posted the $1500 cash bond for him. And since it was a cash bond, after the case was dismissed after the pretrial deferment, the cash bond got sent back to him. (The bondsman keeps a surety bond.) Also in Indiana, you dont need to stipulate to the facts of the case to participate in a pretrial diversion, if you fail and the State redockets the case, they still need to prove you guilty.  As was mentioned, the university has it's own criteria for violations and just because a criminal case is dismissed doesnt mean a university violation didnt happen. Be curious to see what happens with Micah If this is actually his second (known) violation. For all we know now, he may have passed a drug test and the case may be dismissed in the future. If that is the case, and I'm not saying it is, then IMO that's not right and could be a lawsuit. I think thats why hes suspended indefinitely and will be until the case is disposed of, or there is clear and convincing evidence that something either happened, or did not happen, during this ordeal.

Fantofan

Out of curiosity and because I was tired of speculating I reached out to see if I could get some insight. Was told Micah did the Pre trial diversion program because his lawyer told him it would be cheaper and because he was innocent and it would be dismissed over the same course of time as going to trial it was the most cost efficient way to go. Said there was never any admittance to smoking anything and that he passed 3 drug test during that period. (1 NCAA and 2 from University). Sounds like pre trial diversion program may be a money getter for those who can't afford to go to trial not realizing that in cases like this it can comeback and look bad from the outside as if it's a repeat offender which may not be the case in all situations. Again the reason I'm hesitant to claim facts from such a far distance away and render my own verdict without it all being conclusive.

Now unless I've been given false information which I'm not sure why that would be the case it paints an entirely different perspective.

Was also told the newspaper initially printed an article with the wrong charges because they jumped the gun to beef up the article and that the police went back and changed the report which may happen again in this case. I looked back at the article and it was edited to suggest the same.

I guess we can do what we want with it from an opinion standpoint but again I suggest being cautious when relying on Media totally for an informative standpoint when rendering judgement!! Great discussion points on this board by the way!!!

valpolaw

Serious question, what exactly has Micah done to give us a reason to keep him? Regardless of the debate on marijuana and whether it should be a crime, he's been arrested twice and put the program in a negative light. To the casual fan or reader, seeing VU basketball players' mugshots in the news is not a good look. When Micah did play a few years ago, all I recall is poor three point and free throw shooting. We wasted a scholarship on him now for several years and it appears as though he's going to stick around again.

Can we not do better or are we still accepting mediocrity around here? 

JD24

Part of the reason for the pre-trial diversion is to eventually (I think it is 6 months following dismissal in IN) have the case expunged from the record. I don't think there is any requirement to admit guilt to enter a program particularly for a misdemeanor. The schools perspective is that the initial case was a violation of the Student-Athlete Code of Conduct so this would be a second violation although the true "legalities" of the cases muddle things a bit.

JD24

Quote from: valpolaw on April 27, 2019, 09:25:08 AMSerious question, what exactly has Micah done to give us a reason to keep him? Regardless of the debate on marijuana and whether it should be a crime, he's been arrested twice and put the program in a negative light. To the casual fan or reader, seeing VU basketball players' mugshots in the news is not a good look. When Micah did play a few years ago, all I recall is poor three point and free throw shooting. We wasted a scholarship on him now for several years and it appears as though he's going to stick around again. Can we not do better or are we still accepting mediocrity around here?
I know I asked this question a few weeks ago but when are scholarships for next year "locked in" if that's the correct word?

There are two roads to travel down with this situation. The first is what are the guidelines written into the S-A CoC.  The second is whether the player is worth the scholarship. My thoughts would be that the CoC gives him a suspension of 3-4 games. The scholarship issue I agree with. The guy has provided what amounts to negative energy into the program and I'm not sure moving forward he's a guy to count on.

4throwfan

Thanks for all of the posts about legal procedure and university proceedings.  It helps to put things in perspective.

One thing that we should all understand is that most of us don't know many of the facts.  It's possible that we don't know MOST of the facts.  That's why it's better to hand out penalties on the basis of a factfinding inquiry rather than in the court of public opinion.

If Micah leaves or comes back, we should trust that the decision maker acted reasonably.  Since we don't know as many facts as they will likely have received, then we're simply not qualified to offer a better opinion.

valpopal

Once again a Valpo sports story was undercut by poor judgment on the part of some players. VUTV news presented coverage of the spring football game on Saturday afternoon this evening with tape of the play and the postgame interview. However, immediately following that they reported a story that a dozen students had been arrested Saturday night on alcohol related charges, including four Valpo football players, and they named all of those arrested while displaying their mugshots.

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on April 29, 2019, 10:25:33 PMOnce again a Valpo sports story was undercut by poor judgment on the part of some players. VUTV news presented coverage of the spring football game on Saturday afternoon this evening with tape of the play and the postgame interview. However, immediately following that they reported a story that a dozen students had been arrested Saturday night on alcohol related charges, including four Valpo football players, and they named all of those arrested while displaying their mugshots.
Dopiest law on the books and the way law enforcement handles it is even dopier. My understanding is that LEOs have the option of issuing a citation but rarely if ever do. They must like the show.

usc4valpo

Alcohol related charges? What happened? A 20 year old had a Bud Light? The nanny state at Valpo strikes again.

NativeCheesehead

I know Paul is/was in that department. Even if he has nothing to do with the TV station I'd be curious his thoughts on the newsworthiness of 19 and 20 year old college students drinking beer. This is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. If I'm a student I'm far more interested in how the VUPD are going to keep cameras out of my shower, the justification for jacking up tuition this year, or what they're going to do with that soon to be empty law school.

valpopal

I will defend the coverage on VUTV of criminal activities by Valpo athletes and other students. The job of the news staff is to present various stories of events, activities, people, and organizations on campus or influencing campus life. The arrests of individuals connected with the university, especially those figures who represent the university in their academic or athletic roles, seems a legitimate story alongside all the other good news or bad news items presented in the television broadcast. This is particularly true when the incident investigated involved at least two dozen in a nearby neighborhood. The arrests and appearance of the story with mug shots in a local newspaper negatively impact the image of the university and add to already existing tension between town and gown relations, and that makes for a legitimate news story. Rather than point fingers at the news staff or the police, who also are doing their jobs, we must remind athletes who publicly represent the university that they must hold themselves to a high standard, whether they like it or not. I believe such guidance on expected behavior is given to players at the start of each academic year and sport's season, and they are responsible for following the rules outlined by their coaches and advisors. 

Pgmado

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 30, 2019, 07:05:58 AM
I know Paul is/was in that department. Even if he has nothing to do with the TV station I'd be curious his thoughts on the newsworthiness of 19 and 20 year old college students drinking beer. This is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. If I'm a student I'm far more interested in how the VUPD are going to keep cameras out of my shower, the justification for jacking up tuition this year, or what they're going to do with that soon to be empty law school.

I have nothing to do with the television channel on campus. That said, I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about just who gets the "mugshot treatment" on campus media. Obviously to the outside media (Times, Post, etc) there is a notable interest in things like men's basketball and deviant crime like filming people in the shower. For campus (or in-house) media, does the president of a fraternity or sorority deserve a news story if they are arrested? What about a member of a theater production? What if a television anchor gets arrested for underage drinking? Would they also get their mugshot thrown up on the screen? Interesting ethical discussions that take place daily around these parts.

usc4valpo

Reporting needs to get priorities straight. Pot smoking and beer drinking -- oh the tragedy!!

NativeCheesehead

Appreciate the insight, Paul. Will be interesting to watch in the future.