• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Preseason Canada Trip

Started by bbtds, August 05, 2019, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Maybe the struggles won't be as bad as previously feared. Yesterday's win showed a ton of character. If that's what a team with a bunch of newcomers and freshman are capable of this early with very little practice time together can do, that is a tremendous sign for what we are capable of when these players have some time to jell together.

Quote from: CPkValpoFan on August 12, 2019, 11:48:17 AM
Although I live in Texas, I first took an interest in Valpo when Bryce Drew made "the shot".   As a MidMajor basketball fan, I have always had Valpo on my radar.  During the
Alec Peters years I took a much greater interest.  Over the last few years I have been reading the forum but not a member.  I have been a little grieved with the ditch Matt Lottich
theme during the bumpy road of the last few seasons and especially with the defections this spring.    However, I think (and it has been reinforced with this Canada trip), all things
worked together for good.  Having watched the team the last few years, it seemed so disjointed and often like the "gang who could not shoot straight (or pass)".  Watching the
team the past two games in Canada has really been encouraging.   I know their defense and offensive rebounding needs some work, but this team has some serious talent.
Before Donovan Clay gets through with his Valpo career there will be many D1 programs wondering how they could have missed him.   Even though the team is on the short side, it looks so
much better than last year's team.   It pained me to watch the play of last year's seven footers.    I think there will be many in the Missouri Valley who will underestimate Valpo to
their own detriment.  Go Matt Lottich and the Crusaders!!!

As a recently very strong member of the ditch Lottich faction I agree with this post and endorse wholeheartedly the notion that I really did allow myself to get too low during the times of struggle. This team could be very good very soon and if that's the case we have Matt to thank for that. Go Valpo!

NativeCheesehead

No need to run Ryan out there. You know what you have with him when he's healthy.

bbtds

Actually we should name a street on campus after Javon.

Oh, wait, there already is a Freeman.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 12, 2019, 03:30:52 PM
Maybe the struggles won't be as bad as previously feared. Yesterday's win showed a ton of character. If that's what a team with a bunch of newcomers and freshman are capable of this early with very little practice time together can do, that is a tremendous sign for what we are capable of when these players have some time to jell together.

Quote from: CPkValpoFan on August 12, 2019, 11:48:17 AM
Although I live in Texas, I first took an interest in Valpo when Bryce Drew made "the shot".   As a MidMajor basketball fan, I have always had Valpo on my radar.  During the
Alec Peters years I took a much greater interest.  Over the last few years I have been reading the forum but not a member.  I have been a little grieved with the ditch Matt Lottich
theme during the bumpy road of the last few seasons and especially with the defections this spring.    However, I think (and it has been reinforced with this Canada trip), all things
worked together for good.  Having watched the team the last few years, it seemed so disjointed and often like the "gang who could not shoot straight (or pass)".  Watching the
team the past two games in Canada has really been encouraging.   I know their defense and offensive rebounding needs some work, but this team has some serious talent.
Before Donovan Clay gets through with his Valpo career there will be many D1 programs wondering how they could have missed him.   Even though the team is on the short side, it looks so
much better than last year's team.   It pained me to watch the play of last year's seven footers.    I think there will be many in the Missouri Valley who will underestimate Valpo to
their own detriment.  Go Matt Lottich and the Crusaders!!!

As a recently very strong member of the ditch Lottich faction I agree with this post and endorse wholeheartedly the notion that I really did allow myself to get too low during the times of struggle. This team could be very good very soon and if that's the case we have Matt to thank for that. Go Valpo!

There will be much more contrition to pay.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on August 12, 2019, 02:02:12 PMYes we may have lost a little in the tradeoff but the future does look and feel a bit brighter. 
« Last Edit: Today at 03:15:26 PM by justducky »

Time will tell.  We replaced Golder, Smits, Bakari, Sorolla and Bradford with Robinson, Gordon, Morgan, Clay and the other three freshman.  I'll be surprised if Emil and Krikke can't provide the scoring and reobunding of Sorolla (4.1 ppg and 3.2 rpg) The other gave us about 30 ppg.  I wouldn't bet against the new guys producing at a higher clip.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 12, 2019, 04:50:56 PM
Next up on the schedule.
https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1161031264532611073

USF net ranking from April is #99.  What's our chances of walking away with a W tomorrow against Carleton?

govalpogo

Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful and among the Lottich-apologists...BUT I would warn against getting too up and down with every game.  Keep the caution in your optimism, especially after narrowly beating what I surmise to be two teams that are the equivalent of decent low majors.  If Carleton smokes us tomorrow (fairly likely), the sky will not be falling.  There is much to hope in, but there will definitely be growing pains as well. 

Fun Fact:  The 30-7, NIT Runner Up Valpo team lost to Carleton on their Canada trip AND it was their largest loss of the entire season (77-59)!

CPkValpoFan

This next game will be a challenge but I have already seen a lot to like with this team.  Their pressure
defense has really forced turnovers and going 14 - 0 to close out the last game was not bad either.
The movement on this team and getting the ball upcourt quickly surpasses last year's team.   I think the
building blocks are there so no need to panic if we hit a few bumps.  It hard to argue with Freeman's play.

VU2014

I've heard Carleton be described as program that would be the equivalent to a consistent Top 25 NCAA program. They are a powerhouse in Canada. It definitely will be a test and a challenge.

wh

VU2014

I know there are definitely some positives to take away from first 2 games. But something that needs to be mentioned is the very inexperienced front court... Mileek has shown some really positive things but the foul trouble... Krikke showed a few nice glimpses but against guys with more size and talent, idk. Freese-Vilien has some nice mobility but is definitely a project.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on August 12, 2019, 09:25:04 PM
I know there are definitely some positives to take away from first 2 games. But something that needs to be mentioned is the very inexperienced front court... Mileek has shown some really positive things but the foul trouble... Krikke showed a few nice glimpses but against guys with more size and talent, idk. Freese-Vilien has some nice mobility but is definitely a project.

I'm just thankful that we no longer have Clydesdales mucking up our new fast, free flowing offense. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on August 12, 2019, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on August 12, 2019, 06:17:04 PMHopefully we did not lose anybody in the river. [tweet]1161022388903055360[/tweet]
Love all the smiles. Looks like pure, unadulterated fun.

Good to know no one is committing adultery.

VUBBFan

Unofficial, but it seems we might get another live feed for the Carleton game tonight.

https://twitter.com/MorganFifield/status/1161315972822777860

4throwfan

Quote from: VU2014 on August 12, 2019, 08:05:29 PM
I've heard Carleton be described as program that would be the equivalent to a consistent Top 25 NCAA program. They are a powerhouse in Canada. It definitely will be a test and a challenge.

If this is true, I wonder if there is ever discussion of having Canadian teams in the NCAA?  I don't know whether Canadian colleges are apples-to-apples with US colleges (this is not a knock against our friends up north - I honestly just don't know), but if it is somewhat close, then it seems that US teams should be playing these teams regularly more than simply August games.  Might help with scheduling woes.  Not sure where they would fit into a conference, but that seems like an easy problem to solve.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU75

Quote from: 4throwfan on August 13, 2019, 03:21:20 PM
If this is true, I wonder if there is ever discussion of having Canadian teams in the NCAA? 
Simon Fraser  a school in British Columbia is a   NCAA D2 school.  There is also a Mexican school that has petitioned to join D2. 

VUSWIM08-12

What's a realistic expectation for tonight? Keep it within 10-15? I'd give us around 5-10% chance to win but who knows!

VUSWIM08-12

Up 18-14 after the 1st quarter , we look great on O, putting up the first available shot , is clay the long haired guy ? Can definitely get his own .