• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FB Recruiting 2020

Started by VULB#62, November 08, 2019, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Big recruiting night people check me if I missed someone

New Commit: Joshua Becton 5'9 155 RB Schlagle HS, Kansas.

Other Offers: N/A

HS National Rank: 7893

NOTE: Played QB in HS, looks like a future RB and DB

QB:
RB: Robinson , Lane, Richmond, Becton
WR: Blizzard, Ragle
TE: Vickers, Johnson, Evans
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone
DL: Kessen, Folkestad, Miller
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo
K: Knotek

valpofb16

New Commit: Joshua Vargas 5'10 175 Safety Lincoln Way East, Ill.

Other Offers: Rockford, Saint Xavier, Robert Morris

HS National Rank: 70

QB:
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas

valpofb16

New Commit: Adam Mekky 6'1 195 OLB/Nickel Mount Prospect Ill.

Other Offers: Augustana, North Dakota (PWO)

HS National Rank: 1883

QB:
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington, Mekky

valpofb16

New Commit: Keith Szczepanski 6'7 325 Notre Dame HS, NY.

Other Offers: Mercyhurst

HS National Rank: 6496
QB:
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone, Szczepanski

valpofb16

New Commit: Charlie Maxwell 5'6 145 WR Osceola Grace, IN.

HS National Rank: 10812

QB:
WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone, Szczepanski

valpofb16

New Commit: Sam Hafner 6'2 215 LB De Pere HS, Wisc.

Other Offers: Bemidji State

HS National Rank: 7007
QB:
WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington, Mekky, Hafner

valpofb16

New Commit: Garner Jones 5'10 165 Brentwood HS, Tennessee

Other Offers: Centre, Emory & Henry, Birmingham Southern, Rhodes,Kalamazoo, Lyons College, Maryville College

HS National Rank: 862
QB:
WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones

valpofb16

Jalen Allen DB RSFR has left team, roster will look very different next season

valpofb16

New Commit: Lance Beck 6'1 205 QB Western Illinois RSFR in for spring

College Rank: 250

QB: Beck

valpofb16

New Commit: Marvin Rushing 5'10 176 DB Cass Tech. Mich.

Other Offers: Lake Erie, Morehead St, Butler, Oberlin, Albion

HS National Rank: 1572

DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas, Rushing

valpofb16

New Commit: Nick Price 6'0 220 DL Merrillville HS, Ind.

Other Offers: Robert Morris, Aurora

HS National Rank: 689

DL: Kessen, Folkestad, Miller, Price
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas, Rushing

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 28, 2020, 08:50:07 PMNew Commit: Lance Beck 6'1 205 QB Western Illinois RSFR in for spring Other Offers: N/A College Rank: 250 
Does he have immediate eligibility?

FWIW...it appears he left the program prior to the end of the season.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on January 28, 2020, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on January 28, 2020, 08:50:07 PMNew Commit: Lance Beck 6'1 205 QB Western Illinois RSFR in for spring Other Offers: N/A College Rank: 250 
Does he have immediate eligibility?

FWIW...it appears he left the program prior to the end of the season.

It appears he might have been totally misplaced at Western Illinois. I hope he can have a good career at Valpo.

usc4valpo

Me too - Valpo needs decent talent, but the QB position is really lacking.

valpofb16

Transferring from scholarship to non scholarship means you are indeed eligible immediately. In terms of Beck it appears he was at Western Illinois, went back to a prep school, now lands here. Not sure he will compete for job over Duncan or Nimz, but he is an athlete, decent arm strength.

There is another transfer I am waiting on confirmation

valpofb16

New Commit: DJ Hutcherson DB 6'0 175 RSJR Howard University in for spring

NOTE: Played 5 games 2018, was off roster in 2019

College Rank (Massey): 428

DL: Kessen, Folkestad, Miller, Price
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas, Rushing, Hutcherson

At this point, a week before signing day. To assess the class would be unfair but here's where I am at with it. We brought in a QB to compete immediately it looks like, still would like another freshman or two. Will have a lot of RB's on roster. WR is underwhelming so far, think the staff is working on a few more. TEs were necessary as most likely losing Kluck & Bittner. OL numbers will be improved, talent is very top heavy. DL a lot of smaller guys from good schools, have not landed a DT yet. LB appear to have numbers but Annis and Peifer appear to be long term contributors there. DB's solid class here, losing Allen was huge. K Knotek appears to be in line to start from day 1, still looking for a transfer.

Fox's attrition rate has been much worse than expected and we could see anywhere from 50-60 new faces at 40 now with holes yet to fill

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 29, 2020, 08:03:47 AMFox's attrition rate has been much worse than expected and we could see anywhere from 50-60 new faces at 40 now with holes yet to fill
I'm not looking for any "gotcha" moment here but is there a general feeling as to why the attrition other than simply typical changeover when a staff changes?

valpofb16

More recruits will post them tonight.

As for Fox, one aspect is he only recruited about 15 players on the roster, another is he is a demanding coach both on and off the field.

Quite different than Cecchini who ran it more like a business.

crusader05

I have also heard that he has high expectations for players not just on the field but also behaviorally and academically and the intensity of his practices and expectations leapfrogs Dave's by a lot.

usc4valpo

Sorry - right now, I would take Cecchini as a head coach over Fox based on performance. There is nothing wrong having business like sense in leading the team - it has worked for a lot of successful coaches such as Saban and Meyer. Cecchini had a winning season at Valpo, which is a miracle and was Pioneer COY. Fox is learning and hopefully he will get there.

valpofb16

Cecchini would not have had a winning season last year with the players available. Went 2-8 with a team that graduated 7 seniors from a 6 win team.

People who will argue players transferred between '17 and '18. Thats on coach to keep them involved.

Fox had 4 additional games with a 1 TD score, with a roster that wasn't his, and the best defense put together since 2007

usc4valpo

Cecchini had to take over the Osteen mess, and he also had to deal with an injured Jimmy Seewald his final year. He was a Pioneer COY and has a winning record and he moved on to a better job. Fox is not even close credential wise but he is learning and can prove it.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 30, 2020, 11:36:32 AMCecchini had to take over the Osteen mess, and he also had to deal with an injured Jimmy Seewald his final year. He was a Pioneer COY and has a winning record and he moved on to a better job. Fox is not even close credential wise but he is learning and can prove it.
If anything was embarrassing to the program post "Osteen", it was Cecchini's final season. That should never have happened. While I don't know if Fox will be, long term any better and neither do you, I'd hold off on the "I'll take this guy over that guy" opinions for the time being.

NWIGuy

I really haven't followed VU prior to about this time last year. It was about that time that I started reading about recruiting for 2019, end of 2018 season, etc. so I don't have nearly the context that all of you have. Carlson? Osteen? No idea.

However, at quick glance, Cecchini was 4-8 and 1-9 in his 1st two seasons and 2-9 again in his last. He's won more than 4 games only 1x in his career, including 2019 at Bucknell. Seems kinda early to compare Fox to Cecchini. At this time last year, Fox hadn't even been hired, the football S & C coach had been fired/moved on/whatever, and Cecchini and staff were clearly more concerned with potential moves to Lehigh and then Bucknell than recruiting future Crusaders.

Clearly 1-11 is not acceptable, but probably should hold off until this time next year or maybe even year 3 before we really know who has done the better job.

usc4valpo

JD24 - please read the first 2 words of the message - "right now": I am implying as of today, Cecchini was/is a better coach. fox has a lot of learning.

16 - the Osteen reference is to Carlson, who would quote his crap to inspire his team and fans to a career 3-41 record.