• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 9 - @ Eastern Michigan Dec 3 6pm ESPN3.

Started by talksalot, November 28, 2019, 09:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

I think this last stretch of games has showed us what our strengths and weaknesses are but I'm not too upset about his loss. The team has not had lots of practice time since returning from the Paradise Jam and having Thanksgiving Break. I'm hoping this next stretch of four days will allow them to regroup and focus on the specific things they are struggling with to help them prepare for Sunday.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vok22 on December 03, 2019, 08:44:02 PM
Game preparedness has been awful. Have the roster to compete but consistently have have come out of the gate slow, played catch up the whole game, turned the ball over, and have looked bad on defense despite having the talent to be a good defensive team. Don't really know what the solution for this is at this point. Lottich has had 4 years to fix this and hasn't been able to. But if we get rid of him we lose the roster

Consider what this game provided us in regards to the future.  We learned that Krikke and Clay (freshmen) are very likely able to provide the future offense that our team so badly needs and that in a crunch time environment while being guarded by taller players they both thrived.  It's quite early for you to be so negative on a team that is 5-4 and only truly had (2) bad games and (7) solid games (SLU and Nevada).

Moral victories suck, as do moral loses.  I will gladly give our offense time to develop with so many new (positive) pieces but man alive our defense is a liability.  EMU is horrible offensively and average somewhere around 60-65 ppg and here we let them score 85.  THAT is a problem for this team.

IrishDawg

Way too early to push the doom and gloom button on the season. Still a lot of young guys that the team needs consistency from, and that is a tough ask early on in the season.  As long as the effort is there, I think this is a group that can finish in the upper half of the MVC.

I also wouldn't worry about JFL transferring after this year either. He didn't want to sit out a year last year when he considered it, and he's the guy on a team that should be pretty darn good next year.

vu72

I, like most everyone else saw a team still in the process of learning.  Much upside, no doubt.  The defense was atrocious and the zone befuddled us.  Still there were many bright spots.  Kiser has developed a decent 3 point shot, Mileek looked very good (at times), our freshman continue to develop nicely and Sigurd is getting more playing time--and shooting the lights out.

I was disappointing to see us fight back, take the lead and then fold our tent.  We need to find better ways to close out games and that will come with practice.  We should be as good as we can be by conference and perhaps Ryan will be back by then as well.

One last thought:  What is up with Eron and Zion?  They are total non-factors which is surprising.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 03, 2019, 08:07:30 PM
The coach is not doing a good job teaching defense. We are almost at the bottom in the conference. C'mon, we've got some athletes in there.
Matt's teams have consistently been very good defensive teams. We are playing a different style that has created more steals and opposition turnovers, but the gambling that is occurring is chiefly responsible for the easy buckets. This happens when defensive rotations are not second nature to the players. I expect this to improve as the year goes on because in general Matt has been a good defensive coach. We are significantly above last years steals and opp turnover numbers, but we don't have the rim protector.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VALPO LI

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2019, 08:01:47 PM
Quote from: PlumStreetBum on December 03, 2019, 07:59:10 PMEMU was picked to finish second to last in the MAC. I fear this is one of those Bad Losses that you read about.
And we were picked 9th in the Valley. With our poor defense at the rim, poor FT shooting and turnovers we didn't deserve a win.

Spot on!!! I feel we have very high expectations of this team since we played well in November 5-3 with wins over Toledo and GCU and a close one with Cincy.  (I am definitely one to put this team on a higher pedestal).  At the end of the day though we were projected to place 9th in the Valley and anything better technically is an improvement.  I still feel this team has great talent and potential and will surprise a lot of us fans down the road this season.
Shine on Vu

SanityLost17

Quote from: vok22 on December 03, 2019, 08:16:06 PM
We are doomed. Freeman will be gone after this year if not then the year after leaving us with a few years developing him with nothing to show for it except some losing season. Clay will probably be gone too. We have a fantastic roster and a fantastic recruiting class coming in next year, but it doesn't matter. We have seen the same problems every year under lottich and they haven't been fixed, whether it was with a good roster or bad. The problem is that we get rid of the common denominator, coach lottich, then we also get rid of his recruiting. He's a great recruiter and I don't think anybody else would be able to get some of the talent he has gotten to come to a university that is sinking fast, has no students coming to the games, and fills 1/5 of the stadium. But he is not a good coach coach.

1.  We scored nearly 80 points against the Zone...    IMPROVEMENT over past Lottich coached teams.   
2. Defense was never a problem the last 3 years...  by definition a NEW problem, not the "SAME PROBLEMS EVERY YEAR"

We are a team of Freshman and Sophomores, combined with a project Junior(McMillan), and another Junior who sat out an entire season(Robinson), and a former walk-on(Kiser).    Just relax!  Emotional responses like this are beyond infuriating. 

I think we were a much better team than EMU.   I thought we outplayed them for about 30 minutes, but the 10 minutes we were outplayed was REALLY bad.  We lost this game because of defense and this is the 1st year defense has been an issue under Lottich.   

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2019, 10:32:02 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 03, 2019, 08:07:30 PMThe coach is not doing a good job teaching defense. We are almost at the bottom in the conference. C'mon, we've got some athletes in there.
Matt's teams have consistently been very good defensive teams. We are playing a different style that has created more steals and opposition turnovers, but the gambling that is occurring is chiefly responsible for the easy buckets. This happens when defensive rotations are not second nature to the players. I expect this to improve as the year goes on because in general Matt has been a good defensive coach. We are significantly above last years steals and opp turnover numbers, but we don't have the rim protector.

Some of that may be true. However, we rank 319th out of 353 teams in defending the 3P shot and 327th out of 353 in defending the 2P shot. That has little to do with the changes you mention.

NativeCheesehead

Very good points, Sanity, but it does echo something I said above. The team playing like complete garbage for 8-10 minutes every game (mostly at the beginning) is NOT a new problem, it's been a staple of the last 3 years. It's not all on Lottich of course, but it is something that needs to be addressed. Every team is going to have some bad stretches of play from time to time, but it does seem like they are much more frequent now.

And while defense is a new problem, after 10 games against a mediocre schedule we're #246 in defensive effeciency and #342 in defensive fg%. That's awful. Hardly an emotional response. (Doomed is a bit much, I'll agree)

oklahomamick

The ones who are worried about JFL transferring need to slow down.  Where would JFL go that will allow him to put up as many shots as he has?  Hes one of the most used players in the NCAA, he's not giving that up to go somewhere else. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2019, 10:32:02 AMMatt's teams have consistently been very good defensive teams. We are playing a different style that has created more steals and opposition turnovers, but the gambling that is occurring is chiefly responsible for the easy buckets. This happens when defensive rotations are not second nature to the players. I expect this to improve as the year goes on because in general Matt has been a good defensive coach. We are significantly above last years steals and opp turnover numbers, but we don't have the rim protector.

Not only do we not have a rim protector but that type of player would be a misfit in our new offensive scheme! Even Vashil Fernandez would not be a good fit at center for this new style of play. So what type of center would be? Glad you asked! David Skara at Clemson could still run the floor, handle the ball and shoot the 3 while being forced to take over big minutes at the 5. Potentially Freese-Villien and especially Ben Krikke could develop into exactly that type of player but probably not this season.

M

This team has been much more entertaining. I still suspect they will finish close to .500. I posted a while back that I thought we would score plenty of points, but wasn't sure about stopping anyone else from scoring.  Are we taking too many chances going for steals instead of staying in front of people? Just in bad position? 

I also didn't watch the game but did listen to a few parts and sounded like they were working the ball around the perimeter and wouldn't get in the paint until late in the shot clock. That will have to change if they are going to see zone defenses. 

Excited to see them back in Valpo on Sunday.

valpotx

Quote from: justducky on December 04, 2019, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2019, 10:32:02 AMMatt's teams have consistently been very good defensive teams. We are playing a different style that has created more steals and opposition turnovers, but the gambling that is occurring is chiefly responsible for the easy buckets. This happens when defensive rotations are not second nature to the players. I expect this to improve as the year goes on because in general Matt has been a good defensive coach. We are significantly above last years steals and opp turnover numbers, but we don't have the rim protector.

Not only do we not have a rim protector but that type of player would be a misfit in our new offensive scheme! Even Vashil Fernandez would not be a good fit at center for this new style of play. So what type of center would be? Glad you asked! David Skara at Clemson could still run the floor, handle the ball and shoot the 3 while being forced to take over big minutes at the 5. Potentially Freese-Villien and especially Ben Krikke could develop into exactly that type of player but probably not this season.

Martin Linssen is starting and doing well for UNCW :-).  He was a pretty mobile 5.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 11:03:56 AMSome of that may be true. However, we rank 319th out of 353 teams in defending the 3P shot and 327th out of 353 in defending the 2P shot. That has little to do with the changes you mention.
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 11:03:56 AM

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 03, 2019, 08:07:30 PMThe coach is not doing a good job teaching defense. We are almost at the bottom in the conference. C'mon, we've got some athletes in there.

Humm... So you don't think that perimeter gambling results in easy lanes to the basket??? And you also don't think that poor defensive rotation doesn't result in open perimeter shots??? That's interesting.... I guess I had it all wrong all these years of coaching.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on December 04, 2019, 02:09:32 PMMartin Linssen is starting and doing well for UNCW :-).  He was a pretty mobile 5.

Really?  :o I see that UNCW will play @ Charlotte on Sat Dec 7 at 1:00. I'll try to watch some of it both to evaluate his improvement and to scout the 49ers.

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2019, 02:11:54 PMHumm... So you don't think that perimeter gambling results in easy lanes to the basket??? And you also don't think that poor defensive rotation doesn't result in open perimeter shots??? That's interesting.... I guess I had it all wrong all these years of coaching.

Well-l-l-l now that you have admitted it, we will forever ignore you the future.  ;)

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on December 04, 2019, 02:11:54 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 11:03:56 AMSome of that may be true. However, we rank 319th out of 353 teams in defending the 3P shot and 327th out of 353 in defending the 2P shot. That has little to do with the changes you mention.
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 11:03:56 AM

Humm... So you don't think that perimeter gambling results in easy lanes to the basket??? And you also don't think that poor defensive rotation doesn't result in open perimeter shots??? That's interesting.... I guess I had it all wrong all these years of coaching.

No, I said some of what you said may be correct but that this doesn't completely explain why Valpo is among the worst of 353 teams in defending the 2 and 3 point shots being made by our opponents.  Not every possession is of the kind you present. There are many more possessions where our defense is set and ready than in those situations you claim are the sole reason for poor defense.

Just Sayin

What did Sackey say in Oren's article about allowing E.Mich to make their shots? This wasn't an issue of trying to steal the ball and failing thus leading to an open drive to the basket. It was defending the shots and playing smothering defense on the ball.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 04:12:46 PM
What did Sackey say in Oren's article about allowing E.Mich to make their shots? This wasn't an issue of trying to steal the ball and failing thus leading to an open drive to the basket. It was defending the shots and playing smothering defense on the ball.

Todd Ickow made the point on the radio call that Groce exclusively drove to his right and yet our defender didn't anticipate this action.  It's the little things such as that combined with missing a steal and leaving the 2nd and 3rd pass three point shooter wide open.  Combined with not picking up the hot hand around the 3 point line from NBA distance.  Combined with over helping and trying to cut off the drive and leaving your guy open for a layup / dunk.  And the fact that the Center (McMillan, Krikke, Freese or Kiser have to rotate because the G was beat off the dribble.

Defense is all the little things and need done and done consistently or else the 3rd pass will kill you every time.  Either way, I played basketball through 9th grade and no further.  What I know is simply observational and not in practice.

Note:  I was extremely proud of our defense in stretches, we have the ability I just don't know how that is fixed.  I suspect as soon as one aspect of their defense is honed, another hole opens up.  Game experience is all that is going to help this young team play together on defense.  I always hear pundits argue that offense comes with familiarity and cohesion takes time.  Why is defense that much different?

Just Sayin

If your primary defensive strategy is to create turnovers and steals I would ask what is and has been the cost/benefit of such a strategy. How many of those turnovers or steals that actually occurred led to a scoring opportunity for us?  Contrast that with the number of missed steals and easy driving buckets made by the opponent.  Perhaps they are scoring on balance more than we are in these situations because I'm guessing that missed steals are way more common than actual steals.  Perhaps the defensive strategy should be changed or modified if this is true.
If it ain't working, why have it as a primary defensive strategy? The fact that this team is near the rock bottom of 353 teams in defending the 2 and 3 tells me that something isn't right.  Every team has young players and new players on the roster who start.  This team has a stud and a few more pretty good athletes.  There is no reason that these players should be performing  so poorly defensively.   Perhaps with time, these problems will be fixed.  And much of this is coaching.   Like I said early on, I hope Matt becomes successful and he just may do that. It would make me happy. But I remain skeptical.  But it's early in the season.  Hope springs eternal.

vok22

Ok, I admit, my reaction was a little extreme. Knee jerk reaction.  Just frustrating to keep losing games that we could have easily won (trend over the past few years). This team is much better than the past few years however, and has VERY high potential in my mind, but it will take time as it is a very young team.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vok22 on December 04, 2019, 07:03:13 PM
Ok, I admit, my reaction was a little extreme. Knee jerk reaction.  Just frustrating to keep losing games that we could have easily won (trend over the past few years). This team is much better than the past few years however, and has VERY high potential in my mind, but it will take time as it is a very young team.

Glad to have you back Vok22!!!  Look forward to you posting more often with thoughts and opinions.

GoldenCrusader87

I've been hopefully optimistic thus far. It is a more entertaining style of basketball than we've seen thus far in the Lottich era. I've been impressed by Krikke. Equally surprised by Gordon and Zion not getting many minutes. Happy for JFL. Been impressed by Sackey. Not big on Kiser but know he's a fan favorite. Robinson playing well. Can tell Clay is raw but a lot of upside.

GoldenCrusader87

Sure defense is a concern but equally alarming is our free throws thus far ... We win that game with better free throw shooting down the stretch

talksalot

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 04, 2019, 06:57:34 PMIf your primary defensive strategy is to create turnovers and steals I would ask what is and has been the cost/benefit of such a strategy. How many of those turnovers or steals that actually occurred led to a scoring opportunity for us?  Contrast that with the number of missed steals and easy driving buckets made by the opponent.  Perhaps they are scoring on balance more than we are in these situations because I'm guessing that missed steals are way more common than actual steals.  Perhaps the defensive strategy should be changed or modified if this is true.
If it ain't working, why have it as a primary defensive strategy?

Great questions  :thumbsup: and very difficult to answer! My take is that Lottich views Sackey and Freeman as a once in a lifetime guard tandem requiring a shift in tactics to properly exploit. So I take them as the foundation around which he is engineering a major structural change. Clay, Fazekas and Krikke look like they will fit into this system perfectly with Robinson, Kiser, Freese-Villien and McMillan as fair fits and the rest of the team filling various roles. Looks like everybody is buying in but many are struggling with the defensive rotations. I don't think that any of our departed grad transfers would be great fits in this new system but I would concede that Golder might have at least maintained his minutes.

As for the cost/benefit I just don't know how to properly price chaos. Yes an attempt must be made to measure these things but it looks to be much too early to throw the gearshift into reverse. Also a fast and loose play style attracts fast and loose talent. As long as all our future recruits can defend out to the 3-point line then I love this gamble. Who is the main beneficiary -for now? Can you say Freeman-Liberty?