• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Loyola Game Thread, Mon., Dec. 30, 2019, 7:00 p.m. CT

Started by wh, December 26, 2019, 11:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on January 01, 2020, 03:31:54 PMGiven all the slow starts, I think a major starting lineup shakeup is in order for Saturday's game. My starting 5: PG Eron SG Javon SF Nick PF Donovan C Mileek •Everyone is a scoring threat. •Defenses can't overplay Javon. •Eron, Javon, Nick and Donovan have some of the best HS pedigrees in the league. They weren't recruited to be role players. •Lock that lineup in and don't screw with it for the rest of the year. • This entire starting lineup will be back again next year - hardened and battle tested. • DO NOT automatically substitute any of these guys out at the first media timeout (short of Mileek taking a wasted 3 early in the clock). That's only 4 minutes into the game. Ride this group longer to start both half's. Stop trying to preschedule player minutes. This isn't the NBA. •Stop rewarding "toughness" over talent (sorry Jon).

Data from Sports-reference.com
WH's starting 5:           PER
PG Eron                     13.0                 
SG Javon                    26.0
SF Nick                      16.2
PF Donovan               13.7
C Mileek                    15.7

Highest PER of non-starters or out w/injury
Fazekas                   32.4
Siggy                       19.8
Krikke                      19.1
Morrill                      18.6
Kiser                        12.8
Sackey                      8.5
Zion Morgan              8.1       
Emil                          7.8   
Pappas                     -8.5

Looks like a good starting five. Without looking at other stats, the PER numbers might also consider Krikke and obviously Fazekas. The rest of the players with high PER don't get enough minutes. Perhaps they should get more minutes????

NativeCheesehead

Every Valpo team is "my team" if they wear the brown and gold. Granted, some I'm more proud of than others.

M

When did they draw up that last play? There was no timeout or any real stoppage of play was there?

JD24

Quote from: M on January 03, 2020, 10:20:01 PMWhen did they draw up that last play? There was no timeout or any real stoppage of play was there?
There was a review of the foul on Robinson with 9.3 secs left prior to the two Clemons FTs. Whatever was drawn up and I applaud Coach Gore for not throwing anyone Valpo related under the bus, it wasn't run nor did it appear anyone had any idea what to do if the play broke down considering the crappy spacing.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 31, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
I would not say that Mileek is the second coming of Jim Stueve, however.
Was fun to watch, but had to average 4.5 fouls per game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk