• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference games 2020/2021 season

Started by tiny707, January 10, 2020, 12:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

You might want to check out trinity  international university basketball schedule... say around November 29.  Just a suggestion.

VUGrad1314

Another non-D1....  ::) At least we probably won't be allowed in to see it anyway...

JD24

No idea where this would go but the Ivy League has shut it down and by that, if I'm reading it right, no sports until at least Feb 2021.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on November 12, 2020, 11:06:45 PM
No idea where this would go but the Ivy League has shut it down and by that, if I'm reading it right, no sports until at least Feb 2021.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6272354002

Ivy League cancels entire winter sports season, delays spring schedule

VALPO LI

Quote from: talksalot on November 12, 2020, 08:43:41 PM
You might want to check out trinity  international university basketball schedule... say around November 29.  Just a suggestion.

"I liked" your post not for the information you are telling me but for digging this info up!
Shine on Vu

vuny98

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 13, 2020, 09:19:44 AM
Quote from: talksalot on November 12, 2020, 08:43:41 PMYou might want to check out trinity  international university basketball schedule... say around November 29.  Just a suggestion.
"I liked" your post not for the information you are telling me but for digging this info up!
I actually like that game where it is at... I assume scrimmages with other schools wont be a thing this year. This will be a good tune up game. Give our team a chance to gel before the likes of Purdue. Plus, we need to fill out a schedule and that is always hard for us, much more so this year.

VALPO LI

Season opener at Vanderbilt?
As per Paul Oren!
Now you are talking!!!
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

https://twitter.com/UIC_MBB/status/1327375533970137088

Valpo @ UIC December 1st.
This is part of an MTE UIC is hosting with Trinity International in it as well. 
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

UIC is decent but if that's all they've got in their MTE color me unimpressed. I really wish we'd schedule better.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 13, 2020, 11:27:36 PM
UIC is decent but if that's all they've got in their MTE color me unimpressed. I really wish we'd schedule better.

Ummmm....COVID?  This kind of deters a lot of programs wanting to travel across the country in the coming months.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

That's a fair argument and I understand the COVID realities but wasn't U of I doing an MTE with some pretty good teams involved? That's not much further than where we're going...

talksalot

Notice, I never said the Trinity game was on... I merely suggested that you look at their schedule....

Now, the UIC schedule shows them hosting the MTE "the UIC Basketball Invitational" ... and Trinity is included in that... the UIC schedule actually has the Valpo-Trinity game still listed for Sunday 11/29 as part of their tournament...

https://uicflames.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Like Paul tweeted... more moving parts than a Valpo High Backfield !!  [had to get a plug in for the Regional Champ Vikings]

valpotx

Quote from: talksalot on November 14, 2020, 07:13:26 AM
Notice, I never said the Trinity game was on... I merely suggested that you look at their schedule....

Now, the UIC schedule shows them hosting the MTE "the UIC Basketball Invitational" ... and Trinity is included in that... the UIC schedule actually has the Valpo-Trinity game still listed for Sunday 11/29 as part of their tournament...

https://uicflames.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Like Paul tweeted... more moving parts than a Valpo High Backfield !!  [had to get a plug in for the Regional Champ Vikings]

Congrats to Bill Marshall and Todd Evans (baseball teammate) :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Sounds like we'll know very shortly where we stand as far as our nonconference schedule. Hope it's decent and prepares the team well for MVC play.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1329265719406637056

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

vuny98

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 19, 2020, 10:34:56 AMValpo's 2020/2021 Non Conference Schedule!!! https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2020-21/19985/valpo-basketball-unveils-nonconference-schedule/ 9 non conference games 4 home 5 on the road. 1 Big 10 1 SEC 3 MAC 1 OVC 1 Horizon 2 non D-1 https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/
Its actually not a bad schedule.. Trinity and Judson aren't great (but good practice games), but the others are decent to very good.

justducky

Quote from: vuny98 on November 19, 2020, 10:44:38 AMIts actually not a bad schedule..

Considering everything I'm tending towards agreement.  :thumbsup:

Going to Vanderbilt to play before a covid -restricted audience has certain and durable karmic satisfaction attached which is difficult to describe.  ;)

M

Good work getting that schedule done by those involved.  Without the Covid I think this schedule is still decent enough.

SanityLost17

I'm curious how many of these will be streamed and where they will be available to watch.     ESPN+ still a thing for most games this year.   I usually only subscribe to it during basketball season. 

VUGrad1314

I'm fine with it this year They get a pass for COVID but in an ordinary year this still wouldn't fly for me. Two non-D1s is way too many. I'd grudgingly stomach one if the rest of the schedule is solid but two is way too many in a normal year. This is anything but so I won't grouse too much but yeah going forward once things normalize we need to stop wasting scheduling opportunities with meaningless filler games that do nothing.

Brandon

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 19, 2020, 12:32:57 PM
I'm curious how many of these will be streamed and where they will be available to watch.     ESPN+ still a thing for most games this year.   I usually only subscribe to it during basketball season. 

The opener at Vanderbilt is expected to be on SEC Network+, the Dec. 4 game at Purdue will be televised on Big Ten Network and all other nonconference games will be on either ESPN3 or ESPN+.

vok22

2 Power Five teams and 3 MVC quality teams in Central/Eastern Michigan and Toledo. These games should all be really good preparation for conference season. All 5 of those should provide just as much if not more competition than conference games. UIC is a recent conference "rival"  solid squad too with a good coach. Would be disappointed if we lost but should be a fun game, and its nice to see them schedule a Horizon League team (as long as they aren't one of the bottom feeders). Would like to see one with Oakland or Milwaukee sometime. SIUE is one of those games that you should win by double digits but it won't be a complete pushover, and they should be able to experiment a few things with some of the newcomers without having to worry about blowing the game. Obviously the 2 non D1s are not exciting, but I imagine those are almost exclusively because of the unique scheduling complications this year. Just use them to get minutes for the young guys and maybe build some confidence in them. The one thing that isn't a factor this year but would be in a normal year is the home schedule. Absolutely abysmal. If This was a year in which we actually could go to the home games, giving us 2 non D1s, a low D1 and then one solid game in Eastern Michigan would be absolutely brutal. That wouldn't get anybody out to the games. I have to imagine that they probably weren't really considering that too much this year with the unlikelihood of having fans, so Ill give them a pass on that.

wh

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2020, 01:14:29 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 19, 2020, 12:32:57 PM

The opener at Vanderbilt is expected to be on SEC Network+, the Dec. 4 game at Purdue will be televised on Big Ten Network and all other nonconference games will be on either ESPN3 or ESPN+.

On a side note, I was watching the Notre Dame/Boston College FB game Saturday. There were no fans so the TV broadcast used fake crowd noise as has become customary for such games. The problem was the crowd noise was so turned up so loud it nearly drowned out the broadcast team. It continued over the entire game. Highly annoying. It also reminds me of a cheesy sitcom laugh track used to make something mildly humorous seem very funny. It is so unrealistic. This said, I wonder if the men's basketball TV and radio broadcasts are going to "pipe in" fake crowd noise. I hope not. I want to feel the game atmosphere the way the players and coaches are experiencing it - 13 bodies running up and down the court in an empty arena. Sneakers squeaking, players talking, coaches giving instructions during play, etc. The environment is what it is. Don't try to pretend it's something it isn't.