• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Evansville in St. Louis 3/5/20 @ 8:30 CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 05, 2020, 08:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on March 05, 2020, 10:03:39 PMThis game is getting funny , if we somehow win , no way we beat Loyola PLAYING LIKE THIS !
A lot of us at the tournament were more afraid of Evansville than Loyola. We seem to match up better against Loyola. Throughout the year the Aces played great defense against the three ball.

VUGrad1314

Which we don't shoot particularly well anyway (a few late season games notwithstanding. We need to attack against the good perimeter defenses. Loyola has their own issues shooting the three (at least this year From what I understand that won't be the case next year).

JD24

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2020, 10:46:22 PMCan't believe we didn't make one three.  It's been 9 years since that has happened.
Wasn't helped by the fact that the team's two best 3pt shooters had their minutes limited for some reason.

Pgmado

Quote from: JD24 on March 06, 2020, 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2020, 10:46:22 PMCan't believe we didn't make one three.  It's been 9 years since that has happened.
Wasn't helped by the fact that the team's two best 3pt shooters had their minutes limited for some reason.

I asked the question after the game. Came down to getting stops...Krikke and Sackey were playing better defense.

Valpower

Quote from: Pgmado on March 06, 2020, 01:26:38 PM

I asked the question after the game. Came down to getting stops...Krikke and Sackey were playing better defense.
Indeed. Fazekas was getting scored on consistently. You get the sense that he's avoiding contact to preserve himself. When he's getting open and shooting well, you can accept the softer defense, but Evansville didn't give him any opportunities and, worse of all, the rest of our offense couldn't make them pay for covering him tightly.

Hopefully, we've gotten through our jitters and Loyola experiences some of their own, but I'm not counting on it.

JD24

Makes a lot of sense.

nkvu

Quote from: Valpower on March 06, 2020, 01:46:47 PM

Indeed. Fazekas was getting scored on consistently. You get the sense that he's avoiding contact to preserve himself. When he's getting open and shooting well, you can accept the softer defense, but Evansville didn't give him any opportunities and, worse of all, the rest of our offense couldn't make them pay for covering him tightly.

Hopefully, we've gotten through our jitters and Loyola experiences some of their own, but I'm not counting on it.

I didn't so much get the sense that he was avoiding contact but that he was getting caught in switches that left him guarding much quicker guards at the top of the key where he was getting beat off the dribble. With no rim protector behind him he is very vulnerable in that situation, and Evansville was going hard on the dribble drive in the second half.