• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Womens Basketball 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 21, 2020, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Were the gals wearing their covid masks over their eyes?

valpotx

While we missed the opportunity yesterday, we did as we should today, winning 71-56.  Interesting to see that the 2 early enrollees are getting some time.  Since their HS seasons haven't started, they enrolled early and essentially get a free 10 games at the college level, while still maintaining 4 years of eligibility. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU75

Also good to see Grace White didn't participate in senior day.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2021, 06:55:05 PM
While we missed the opportunity yesterday, we did as we should today, winning 71-56.  Interesting to see that the 2 early enrollees are getting some time.  Since their HS seasons haven't started, they enrolled early and essentially get a free 10 games at the college level, while still maintaining 4 years of eligibility. 

Like night and day!  Well played by Valpo.  I love that their coach was calling out to "let her shoot" and then Carie Weinman (our leading scorer) goes off for 21 points including 3 of 6 from the 3. :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: VU75 on February 20, 2021, 07:43:12 PM

Are you saying that means she might come back for another season?
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on February 20, 2021, 07:47:33 PMLike night and day! 

I haven't had time to watch either contest yet but I'm thinking I'll watch that "day" game and let that "night" game disappear from memory. As inconsistent as the girls have been I'd still rate our guys as twice that!

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2021, 08:02:36 PM
Quote from: VU75 on February 20, 2021, 07:43:12 PM

Are you saying that means she might come back for another season?
Yes she has already said she would return.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 20, 2021, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2021, 06:55:05 PM

Like night and day!  Well played by Valpo.  I love that their coach was calling out to "let her shoot" and then Carie Weinman (our leading scorer) goes off for 21 points including 3 of 6 from the 3. :rotfl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIa__k9un0

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2021, 06:55:05 PMInteresting to see that the 2 early enrollees are getting some time.

Very impressed with my first glances of Sheehan. I wasn't picturing her getting minutes alongside Shay Fredrick but now that I've seen it, her potential roles for next year have expanded. She looks to be an excellent and confident 17 year old ball handler (17 total minutes without turning the ball over) and I have to wonder how much better she becomes.

justducky

Girls with a 2 point halftime lead at Loyola. Much different looking game than the first time around. Their NET ranking pregame was something like 1 place different. Maybe 134 and 135?

valpotx

Very solid win!  A terrible demonstration of FT shooting by each team throughout much of the game, but we made the ones that mattered at the end.  Similar to the Men's team this season, our Women have shown that we can win or lose against any team in the MVC. Boom or bust!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Coach Evans went with more of a smaller, quicker lineup and it had some advantages. Bigger minutes from our freshman class with Sheehan hitting a couple key 3 pointers in about 9 or 10 minutes of play.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2021, 08:15:31 PMBigger minutes from our freshman class with Sheehan hitting a couple key 3 pointers in about 9 or 10 minutes of play.

She actually played 12 minutes. This girl was not asked to score in HS so she shows up here at semester break and in her first 3 appearances (29:15 min) she hits 4 of 9 3's with 5 rebounds, 2PFs, 2 BLKs, 1 STL and 0 TO's. Not bad for a 17 year old back up or back up to the back up point guard!

vu72

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2021, 08:15:31 PM
Coach Evans went with more of a smaller, quicker lineup and it had some advantages. Bigger minutes from our freshman class with Sheehan hitting a couple key 3 pointers in about 9 or 10 minutes of play.

I noticed the same thing.  Near the end I was wondering where our bigs were because we were being badly out-rebounded.  But that is why she is the coach and I'm not!  I bet the Loyola coach has nightmares about Shay.  Wasn't she the one who scores something like 6 points in a minutes to beat them last year?

The Valley is really good but our ladies can beat anybody on a given night.  Great win!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpofamfan

13/18 from 3 going into the 4th quarter up 15. Great performance so far!

valpotx

Good win over SIU, with the Women going 15/20 from 3.  Wow!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 27, 2021, 05:59:14 PM
Good win over SIU, with the Women going 15/20 from 3.  Wow!

Shay Frederick's 6 of 6 from three was simply amazing. 5 of 5 from three in the first half. I did miss the 2nd half.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2021, 07:19:14 PMI did miss the 2nd half.

Not me! I missed the first half of some other game!  ::)

valpotx

Our Men's team could really use some training from the Women's team, specific to passing.  The Women swing that ball around quickly, and don't throw the lollygag-type passes that I see from our Men, where they expect the defender just to stand still and let them catch it.  I see some brute force passing, and love it!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Frederick is just a superstar when she is on.  I hope that she stays for her entire career, and doesn't get pulled away to a P5, like a Tabitha Gerardot, by graduating early. 

Great OT win for the ladies against SIU, and we are now 11-10 (7-7).  We have 2 games left at Drake, and 2 to makeup against Indiana State, which should make us 9-9, unless we surprise Drake, or ISUb surprises us.  ISUb is terrible at Women's Basketball, similar to Evansville. 

If this team stays together next season, it will be a special year.  Since Grace White is returning, we are just losing Ellenson and Morrison from the playing roster. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Good game to game adjustments by SIU put us in a hole by halftime. Our 3's only dropped at average rates so we had to win by other methods.

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2021, 06:07:59 PMWe have 2 games left at Drake, and 2 to makeup against Indiana State,
I don't think there is any planning to make up the ISUb games but I might be wrong. A split at Drake would be great!

valpotx

That doesn't seem fair, if that is the case.  All other teams get to beat up on a crappy ISUb, and we miss out?  Hopefully they make them up
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2021, 07:15:34 PMThat doesn't seem fair, if that is the case.

It isn't but it looks like the best that can be done. ISUb will finish MVC play having only played 14 games. MSU and Valpo will both finish with 16. The rest should get to complete all 18. On the bright side an 8-8 record should be just as good as a 9-9 but there might be some tiebreakers that get wacky?

For many reasons including momentum getting a split at Drake is very important.

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2021, 07:15:34 PMAll other teams get to beat up on a crappy ISUb, and we miss out?

You play the hand you are dealt.  :(

valpotx

This is what was said on 2/8, and I haven't seen any updates since that time:

The Missouri Valley Conference has postponed the Indiana State-Valparaiso women's basketball series (Feb. 13-14) at Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind., due to positive COVID-19 test results among Indiana State's Tier I personnel, which consists of student-athletes, coaches, managers and staff. The Conference will announce make-up dates for the series/games at a later date.
"Don't mess with Texas"