• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 22, 2020, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

may know

Well, whoever the worst poster on this board is, at least they're better than Evansville's:
https://purpleaceplace.freeforums.net/thread/429/post-lickliter-head-coach-tyra?page=1

valpo64

With her great looks, I'd hire for about anything :)  She used to do professional modeling.  Those comments about UE's WBB program sure don't say much about PFW's WBB, coached by a former VU woman. They are really bad again this year.

EddieCabot

[tweet]1338154921942716421[/tweet]

VU2014

Big win for SIU knocking off Butler. I try to not get down on Lottich but watching Mullins pull it off in his 2nd year makes it difficult. It's about damn time the team plays together and does look like a cluster**** on offense.

Probably not going to happen against Bradley particularly with the team not going to able to practice

valporun

VUGrad1314, Paul Oren and Luke Gore discuss this same issue EVERY year on the scheduling podcast. Some of these non-D1s end up being an extra game in an MTE that doesn't count against the NET. It isn't always about not getting home-and-homes or guaranteed pay games. There might be 1 or 2 a season like this, where Luke schedules it to just have a game after a tough point in the schedule, or maybe coming out of Finals. These games may not be beneficial, but if they can work in with MTEs, then it saves Luke from filling a scheduling hole with another team they really want to play that might be right during that MTE. Sure, at times these non-D1s are useless, but in a season where we have so many holes in the lineup, offensive execution/scoring, and a lot of young kids on the roster, Valpo can use the non-D1s to benefit the confidence and growth in some of the kids to be able to do more.

This is the same theory for a lot of the mid-majors, because the Power 5 or Super 6 want their own league where they beat each other up, and only play within their six conferences, and those teams battle for tv contracts and the Power 5/Super 6 Tournament on some cable network exclusively. Leaving the mids and lows to the NCAA, where the money wouldn't be anymore, and CBS to help the NCAA keep their history and tournament on tv, but having no Dukes, Kentuckys, UCLAs, Illinois, Michigan State, and Indiana to gather ratings because they would all be playing on ESPN ALL THE TIME!

valpo64

Whatever happened to the Northern Iowa kid Green?  Is he hurt ?

valporun

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2020, 02:48:01 PM

Out with a hip injury since early this month.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2020, 02:48:01 PM

"Panthers head coach Ben Jacobson announced on [Dec 13] that junior point guard AJ Green would undergo hip surgery this week and miss the rest of the season."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2020/12/13/uni-point-guard-aj-green-undergo-season-ending-hip-surgery/6531266002/

valpotx

A close, but ugly, Loyola vs. Drake game on ESPN2...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

What's that? Is that the hopes for the two bid MVC coming back to life? Heck yeah! I think a split was the best of all possible outcomes for the MVC! Now we need both Drake and Loyola to finish strong! I also think this probably needs to be the final for the two bid dream to be a reality!

valpotx

Looking at the standings and Evansville's remaining schedule, we are in a prime position to claim the 5 seed.  They have lost 4 straight, have 2 at Drake coming up, and then 2 at home against Missouri State.  If we can take 2 or 3 of the next 4, which is very possible, we should pass them up, as they are likely to go 0-4 or 1-3 in their remaining games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

The dream scenario (albeit a highly unlikely one).

-Loyola wins out for the regular season.
-Drake wins out for the regular season.
-Valpo gets the 5th seed for the conference tournament.
-MVC quarterfinals: Loyola, Drake, Valpo and Missouri State all win.
-MVC semifinals: Valpo upsets Loyola, Missouri State upsets Drake (which, importantly, is not considered a bad loss for Drake)
--MVC finals: Valpo beats Missouri State.

Result: three MVC teams in the NCAA tournament (though Drake would probably get a play-in game).

valpotx

Wow, a foul that resembles something we would do, in the Loyola/SIU game.  Loyola up by 2 with 22 seconds left, and Loyola fouls a 3 point shooter.  Tune in now for a last second finish!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Lance Jones made the first 2, but missed the third.  Terrible last set from Loyola, and they are going to OT!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

We get 6th place and play Missouri State.

Not sure if I'm going this year. I'm glad if I don't go that I won't be supporting a state that has Josh Hawley as a Senator.

Although I could have stayed in Illinois at the least.

May have to drive over on Friday if I can't resist the urge.

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
We get 6th place and play Missouri State.

Not sure if I'm going this year. I'm glad if I don't go that I won't be supporting a state that has Josh Hawley as a Senator.

Although I could have stayed in Illinois at the least.

May have to drive over on Friday if I can't resist the urge.

So you feel better about supporting a state that had Rod Blagojevich (Democrat) as Governor for 6 years?  If you base your purchasing decisions on politicians, regardless of ideology, you won't be able to shop anywhere lol. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

An absolutely horrible devastating night in the MVC...

Northern Iowa wins evening their record with us UNI has a higher net than us

Evansville wins evening their record with us Evansville swept us

Missouri State loses which might drop their NET below 100 and threaten their ability to give an important Q2 opportunity to Drake

And

Drake loses to Bradley probably putting the final nail into their at large hopes....

Which means

We're a Thursday team in a one bid league... again.... Sigh... Tonight could not have been worse for Valpo despite the win or for the MVC...

I don't care that we technically "tied for sixth" last year and "tied for fifth" this year. Did we play on Thursday? Yes? Then we really failed to close out the season and the questions about whether or when we'll able get our feet under us in this conference continue to persist in my mind...

I'm also upset that Drake pounded on creampuffs their entire season and gave themselves no substantive wins and therefore very little room for error which they more than used up with this loss... And Missouri State showed that they're not ready for prime time either at the absolute worst possible time... We don't need the P5\BE to conspire to keep us out of the at large conversation... We do it to ourselves...

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 27, 2021, 08:09:55 PMWe're a Thursday team in a one bid league... again.... Sigh... Tonight could not have been worse for Valpo despite the win or for the MVC...

Just like last year I'm kind of liking this position and it is a 2 bid league if anybody can top Loyola.

VUGrad1314

Not being a Thursday team (thereby showing we're legitimately competitive) and having multiple bids are really the only things I care about and we will have neither this year....

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 27, 2021, 08:09:55 PM
An absolutely horrible devastating night in the MVC...

Northern Iowa wins evening their record with us UNI has a higher net than us

Evansville wins evening their record with us Evansville swept us

Missouri State loses which might drop their NET below 100 and threaten their ability to give an important Q2 opportunity to Drake

And

Drake loses to Bradley probably putting the final nail into their at large hopes....

Which means

We're a Thursday team in a one bid league... again.... Sigh... Tonight could not have been worse for Valpo despite the win or for the MVC...

I don't care that we technically "tied for sixth" last year and "tied for fifth" this year. Did we play on Thursday? Yes? Then we really failed to close out the season and the questions about whether or when we'll able get our feet under us in this conference continue to persist in my mind...

I'm also upset that Drake pounded on creampuffs their entire season and gave themselves no substantive wins and therefore very little room for error which they more than used up with this loss... And Missouri State showed that they're not ready for prime time either at the absolute worst possible time... We don't need the P5\BE to conspire to keep us out of the at large conversation... We do it to ourselves...

The way I read it, Valpo is the 6th seed and avoids Thursday. Instead, will play Missouri State on Friday.

valpopal

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 27, 2021, 08:25:56 PM
Not being a Thursday team (thereby showing we're legitimately competitive) and having multiple bids are really the only things I care about and we will have neither this year....

But we did avoid Thursday, and if someone upsets Loyola in the championship game, there likely will be two bids for the league. I hope that makes you feel better.

justducky

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think the tiebreaker with UNI was our win over Drake and the NET did not come into play.

We are a much better team than the one who faced MSU in our first two MVC games. They will be a giant handful but with momentum and a win I think we make the championship game again. It is all about playing well when it counts and this could be our year.  :o

AND!   Thank goodness we don't have to play ISUb 3 games in a row!  :thumbsup:

VALPO LI

It all depends on what Valpo team decides to show up and play....
Shine on Vu