• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2020-2021

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2020, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Obviously last seasons numbers for Nick don't really jump off the page at you. It was easy to forget how effective he was when healthy. Let's hope for some more of those 15+ point games in the future. I think this team is very underrated.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

I'd be surprised if Krikke and McMillian were both starters. I'd bet they will rotate those two similar to last year with Mileek starting and Ben coming off the bench then rolling with whoever is being more productive that day down the stretch.

NotBryceDrew

From what I've heard Krikke has improved his game and really learned how to play the 4. Idk if the will both start but they will be playing together a good amount this season.

valpotx

The MVC will soon find out that once Valpo figures out how to recruit against their conference foes, that it is never a rebuild, but a reload :).  We lost some key pieces, but we have some solid folks ready to take those minutes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on October 27, 2020, 05:29:54 PM
Eron Gordon did a podcast

https://twitter.com/_tbspodcast/status/1321108622047383558?s=21

I feel like the "full potential" part of the Valpo promise is fully exemplified in Eron. He received a great education from Seton Hall, Valpo and the example of his NBA brothers.

VU2014

JBC1824

So what is our logo now??? The stupid looking knight? The shield? Just the word "Valpo," as this is the only thing of prominence on our bball uniforms? Or some oddly stylized "Valparaiso" combined with something else? We have no brand consistency whatsoever when it comes to our athletics/general art. And then there are the changing uniforms seemingly every season. How many damn logos can a universoty have? This is a mistake. The school is not establishing a clear, definable, and thus, more memorable brand in the minds of people who are more casually exposed to the university. Im sorry but continuing down this path is terrible branding for a small university which ought to be trying to maximize its exposure -- a big part of which is consistent, memorable imaging. Please pick a damned logo, put it on everything, and stick to it. Third-rate and so stupid its embarassing.

Personally, I think brown ought to be the dominantly featured color. The yellow is horrible.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

vu72

Quote from: JBC1824 on November 03, 2020, 04:17:37 AM
So what is our logo now??? The stupid looking knight? The shield? Just the word "Valpo," as this is the only thing of prominence on our bball uniforms? Or some oddly stylized "Valparaiso" combined with something else? We have no brand consistency whatsoever when it comes to our athletics/general art. And then there are the changing uniforms seemingly every season. How many damn logos can a universoty have? This is a mistake. The school is not establishing a clear, definable, and thus, more memorable brand in the minds of people who are more casually exposed to the university. Im sorry but continuing down this path is terrible branding for a small university which ought to be trying to maximize its exposure -- a big part of which is consistent, memorable imaging. Please pick a damned logo, put it on everything, and stick to it. Third-rate and so stupid its embarassing.

Personally, I think brown ought to be the dominantly featured color. The yellow is horrible.

The yellow is "collegiate gold"  and the branding was redone in its entirety when Mark Heckler took over.  Mark LaBarbera has said on several occasions that no one knows us as Crusaders per se. They do know the name "Valpo" thus the emphasis on that name in our branding. The shield is also consistent in our branding. Check out Brown Field as an example or The ARC.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: JBC1824 on November 03, 2020, 04:17:37 AMSo what is our logo now??? The stupid looking knight? The shield? Just the word "Valpo," as this is the only thing of prominence on our bball uniforms? Or some oddly stylized "Valparaiso" combined with something else? We have no brand consistency whatsoever when it comes to our athletics/general art. And then there are the changing uniforms seemingly every season. How many damn logos can a universoty have? This is a mistake. The school is not establishing a clear, definable, and thus, more memorable brand in the minds of people who are more casually exposed to the university. Im sorry but continuing down this path is terrible branding for a small university which ought to be trying to maximize its exposure -- a big part of which is consistent, memorable imaging. Please pick a damned logo, put it on everything, and stick to it. Third-rate and so stupid its embarassing. Personally, I think brown ought to be the dominantly featured color. The yellow is horrible.
I'll disagree with you there... the Valpo with the Shield/flame/V below it logo is consistent across all items. That is the core brand logo. I think it is pretty common to have secondary logo's (i.e. the Crusader, which also has Valpo and the flame shield) along with more stylized renditions/options for fan gear. Look at somewhere like Michigan State where you have the "S" logo, "MSU" logo, the Spartan helmet logo, Michigan State written out, the more cartoon version of the spartan, etc... Whether you like the logo treatment or color choice is a different conversation, but I think they have actually done a decent job at establishing a clear brand.

JBC1824

Nearly all of my friends whom I graduated with from Valpo agree that our branding is terrible for the aformentioned reasons.

There is an overly positive attitude that sometimes surrounds all things Valpo, and this does us no favors. Sometimes things ought to be viewed through a critical lens.

For instance, its also terribly stupid for a Lutheran instiitution to be the Crusaders. How would Luther have felt about the crusades? Here's a hint: he would have hated them more than indulgences. The church promised salavtion for those who fought and damnation for those who didnt. By putporting itself to have the power to both save and condemn, without any say so from God, it blackmailed people into actions that were inherently sinful. But Crusaders it is!

We should always have been something like The Monks.

vuny98

Quote from: JBC1824 on November 03, 2020, 12:11:54 PMNearly all of my friends whom I graduated with from Valpo agree that our branding is terrible for the aformentioned reasons. There is an overly positive attitude that sometimes surrounds all things Valpo, and this does us no favors. Sometimes things ought to be viewed through a critical lens. For instance, its also terribly stupid for a Lutheran instiitution to be the Crusaders. How would Luther have felt about the crusades? Here's a hint: he would have hated them more than indulgences. The church promised salavtion for those who fought and damnation for those who didnt. By putporting itself to have the power to both save and condemn, without any say so from God, it blackmailed people into actions that were inherently sinful. But Crusaders it is! We should always have been something like The Monks.
The Crusades were about defense not conquest. It was a justified reaction to hundreds of years of siege and war. Not to say all those who participated on one side or the other were good or bad, or that the church s reaction/view was 100% right (heres a hint, there was a lot of corruption in the church then of course). But the false history/narrative about the Crusades being evil is all to pervasive in society. I think Crusaders, being the defenders of Christianity/western values/society, is a very appropriate name.

But sure, lets be the Monks.

humbleopinion

Quote from: vuny98 on November 03, 2020, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: JBC1824 on November 03, 2020, 12:11:54 PMNearly all of my friends whom I graduated with from Valpo agree that our branding is terrible for the aformentioned reasons. There is an overly positive attitude that sometimes surrounds all things Valpo, and this does us no favors. Sometimes things ought to be viewed through a critical lens. For instance, its also terribly stupid for a Lutheran instiitution to be the Crusaders. How would Luther have felt about the crusades? Here's a hint: he would have hated them more than indulgences. The church promised salavtion for those who fought and damnation for those who didnt. By putporting itself to have the power to both save and condemn, without any say so from God, it blackmailed people into actions that were inherently sinful. But Crusaders it is! We should always have been something like The Monks.
The Crusades were about defense not conquest. It was a justified reaction to hundreds of years of siege and war. Not to say all those who participated on one side or the other were good or bad, or that the church s reaction/view was 100% right (heres a hint, there was a lot of corruption in the church then of course). But the false history/narrative about the Crusades being evil is all to pervasive in society. I think Crusaders, being the defenders of Christianity/western values/society, is a very appropriate name.

But sure, lets be the Monks.

I'm guessing you weren't a history major.
Beamin' Beacons

vuny98

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 03, 2020, 04:00:18 PM
Quote from: vuny98 on November 03, 2020, 01:15:22 PM
The Crusades were about defense not conquest. It was a justified reaction to hundreds of years of siege and war. Not to say all those who participated on one side or the other were good or bad, or that the church s reaction/view was 100% right (heres a hint, there was a lot of corruption in the church then of course). But the false history/narrative about the Crusades being evil is all to pervasive in society. I think Crusaders, being the defenders of Christianity/western values/society, is a very appropriate name. But sure, lets be the Monks.
I'm guessing you weren't a history major.
There are biased accounts/interpretations on both sides. I've done enough of my own reading to form an educated opinion of the matter. No I was not a history major, but I've also seen enough of what passes for history lessons to know if you don't seek out counter opinions you will end up with a very slanted view of the truth. I never said the Crusades were all good and obviously a lot of bad things happened during/because of them. But history is messy and judging the past by today's standards is a dangerous precedent to set.

FWalum

I think that today we are probably more familiar with the current Middle Eastern perspective of the Crusades.  Here it is from the Catholic perspective. Real History of the Crusades
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

JBC1824

The point is the church originally recruited people to the cause of the Crusades by telling them if they joined up, they would go to heaven and be forgiven for any sins they might commit in the war effort. The church also condemed those who did not support the cause to hell basically.

This was very similar to the sale of indulgences in that the church appropriated divine forgiveness as well as eternal damnation from God. The church had no grounds to claim it could forgive or condemn.

However, in Luther's eyes the Crusades almost asuredly would have been more egregious because the church wasnt appropriating and leveraging divine forgiveness and damnation for money, but essentially blackmailing people into fighting a war and committing sins that would imperil their souls.

The matter has nothing to do with whether the war itsef was evil or justified big picture to preserve Christianity or western culture.

It has everything to do with the way in which the church recruited its support.

Luther would have been through the roof!

VALPO LI

Ladies and Gentlemen....
Feel free to bring this topic of conversation over to the appropriate forum, where your ideas and views on this particular issue can be exchanged ;)

https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2816.0

Back to VU2014's original post:
Thank you for posting this but I will pass this year.  I really do like the script Valparaiso tee but does this font match our teams cursive?
Shine on Vu

craftyrighthander

Gold shows on TV far better than brown, in my opinion. Gold shows far better in person at an event like the MVC tourney. I will leave the logos and history conversation to others.

vu84v2

Valpo has now posted their entire basketball schedule, including all of the conference games. However, only one non-conference game (Purdue) is shown. It does seem that schedules are still being cobbled together, so my guess is that a few other games will be added.

valpopal

The Men's Basketball video intro for this season:

valpopal

Yesterday, in his post-game interview with Lottich, Paul made a point about the false feeling of artificial crowd noise pumped through loudspeakers at these Covid games. Also, after watching online a couple games at the ARC with empty bleachers during the past week, coincidentally this video came up as a recommendation for me on YouTube today. So, I thought it would be a nice memory to share, a chance for everyone to recall what the energy of packed stands in big games at the ARC might be. I hope our promising freshmen get an opportunity to play home games in this type of atmosphere sometime in the not too distant future.

vu72

Hated those uniforms!  Jacob's shot looks a little like Rowdy's.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Jacob's shot looks a little like Rowdy's.

That's what I thought too when I watched this.