• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtm

Is the University perhaps going to miss out on some other good mascot options because they are trying to shoehorn a regional tie to the nickname? I mean, I'm not saying the current options are bad, but I think something seemingly "out of nowhere" could actually turn out just as good. For example, when Amherst changed their name from Lord Jeffs to Mammoths, there was only a slight tie as a local museum happens to have a mammoth. But, that's a good mascot! Or like the Campbell Camels or Tulsa Golden Hurricane, etc. So, why not something like the Koalas? Or Rhinos? Or Werewolves or Centaurs?

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on July 03, 2021, 02:26:47 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on June 29, 2021, 06:44:50 PM
Little Badgers
Dunebadgers?

Dune Badger Knights? Doesn't that cover all the bases? location, animal, use of shield (no, mythical element though ;-))

Just Sayin

IndyValpo

Per this morning's Presidential town hall. The name has been chosen but won't be released until mid August.

NativeCheesehead

Oh good lord just release it already. Based on the finalists and reaction here and elsewhere nobody's gonna like it anyway so might as well pull the band aid off.

vu84v2

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 13, 2021, 09:59:27 AM
Oh good lord just release it already. Based on the finalists and reaction here and elsewhere nobody's gonna like it anyway so might as well pull the band aid off.

As well as the process followed, which intentionally avoided getting feedback that didn't confirm what they wanted and addressing concerns of key stakeholders. This has not been a good example of change management.

VUSERF

Just had another mascot discussion with my wife and she brought up something interesting that I did not consider before.

She really likes Valpo Storm, and she convinced me by describing the imagery. If we stick with the name Valpo storm we have the ability to make a unique mascot that is related to the storm but doesn't have to be a cloud.

She suggested a Thor/ Valkyrie holding the Shield of Character.

I actually really like this.

This why I really wished that the committee would have incorporated some kind of concept art for their finalists.

crusader05

Yeah it's hard without concept art but hte reality is no committee was going to come up with good concept art, you're gonna want real professionals working on that. The reasoning that President Padilla gave for knowing the mascot but not releasing it yet during one of his alum townhalls was that he wants to do a real professional reveal with art work and such all ready to go. Which makes sense for sure. You're still gonna have people upset, much as there was during the last rebrand of the Crusader, but at least you give people something to wrap their heads around.

I have started to lean more towards the tempest/storm because of the larger options for branding and how well; I think it could integrate with the game day atmosphere.

I also think that you don't even have to always have somone carry the shield. I can imagine a lightening strike on the ground that leaves the Shield burned into the ground or something of that nature, although I do love the Valkaryie image

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 13, 2021, 09:32:45 AM
Per this morning's Presidential town hall. The name has been chosen but won't be released until mid August.
Just to add the President said that the "art" was being finalized.

VALPO LI

Came across this logo for a "Dune"Hawk.  Best one I have seen in a while!  The wings can represent a "V" and the colors work for Valpo.

https://pin.it/2W2NXnT
Shine on Vu

valpo95

Has anyone heard a whisper of the likely name? I'm expecting it won't be official, yet I'd be surprised if someone hasn't heard something...

bbtds

Quote from: valpo95 on July 23, 2021, 02:21:00 PM
Has anyone heard a whisper of the likely name? I'm expecting it won't be official, yet I'd be surprised if someone hasn't heard something...

https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/u8wgsldgqmkzglih

IndyValpo

Tomorrow is the day.....what will we be

vuny98

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 09, 2021, 10:59:14 AMhttps://twitter.com/ValpoU/status/1424747301399052307
Just a guess, but as Eron says "we are..." the screen turns a Gold color... I think Valpo Gold it is... but we will see.

jtm

Unless they knock the logos out of the park, it's probably going to be underwhelming.

mj

I kind of like the Beacons. Good to go with a nickname that has a connection to VU. Plus it doesn't lock us into a mascot, so Paul Oren's dream of the koala lives on.
I believe that we will win.

justducky

Not bad! Now we can pursue our chosen crusades from stationary positions.  ;)

JBC1824

Not a fan.

Particularly of the idea that Valpo is now meant to be a beacon for "change."

For what types of "change" is the university now to be considered a beacon of?

And what types of "change" should our society as a whole undergo, as determined by the university's current leadership group?

Very unfortunately, this messaging does cross the line into social justice politics, and therefore, the messaging itself and this choice of a nickname likely does not represent the majority of the Valparaiso community.

The decision makers were intent on being "inoffensive" and "inclusive," but have now perhaps marginalized the majority, albeit to a small degree.

I would have highly preferred something completely neutral, such as Dune Hawks or Gold.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

valpopal

My initial reactions to the news are mixed. Like any name chosen to be safe and harmless, the nickname is somewhat bland as well. The video announcement was excellent for its first 30 seconds during which it focused on the history of VU and its connection to the symbol of light. It should have stopped when the president says "We are Valpo, We are Beacons"; however, the last half of the video with everyone stating "We are Beacons" into the camera seemed like the old propaganda trick of repeating something often enough that all will accept it.

As a visual artist, I think the logo is pretty bad and pedestrian, and we probably could have gotten a better example from a middle school art class. Concerning the mascot: its absence is noticeable, and the lack of originality in the logo gives me pause about what we will see; if there is a beacon as a mascot, will it merely look like a horrible human-sized chess piece as at the University of Massachusetts-Boston?

For now from a practical standpoint, I do not see me replacing my Crusader apparel for attending games. 

David81

Beacons. I'm good with it. If the teams succeed on and off the field, this controversy will subside. I don't understand the fealty to Crusaders. It has always been Valpo as the name brand and the mascot name has meant comparatively little. And think about it, for example: Had favorite baseball teams now decided to change their names to the "Cubs," "Cardinals," and "White Sox," can you imagine the furor over such "nothing" team names? ("What, you're naming my team after a pair of tube socks??? I want my Chicago Redskins back!!!!")  ;)

jtm

The name is fine - Go Beamin' Beacons!

Anyways, the logo makes me sad.

JD24

As I was never a fan of Crusaders, Beacons is fine with me.