• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Matt seems excited. He knows the strenghts of the transers, returnees, and freshmen. He selected very good Div 2 teams for the exhibition, which is better than the usual Div. 2 creampuffs. Good sign in getting the team ready for stiffer competition.

He sounds like a good coach.

But will his coaching match his words?

He should be ready now to demonstrate his coaching skills and should do very well given the talent of the team and their excitement to play here.

Show us big guy. Winning will bring fans into the ARC. The same-old-same-old every year won't cut it this year.

Hope you can be successful. I might actually buy a ticket or two if things start cracking.

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 24, 2021, 07:57:30 PM
Valpo vs Stanford will be on the PAC 12 network. I wonder who will provide commentary for that game.

As long as I neither see his face or hear his voice and opinions I will be fine with whoever you are thinking about.

wh

https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/1453053593620303880?s=20

I feel sorry for Sheldon, Matt, and others excited about the team's prospects. Apparently, they didn't listen to the MVC podcast prognosticators, who confidently place Valpo's CEILING at 6th; their floor at 10th. I believe that rounds to about an 8th place finish.

vu84v2

Quote from: justducky on October 26, 2021, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 24, 2021, 07:57:30 PM
Valpo vs Stanford will be on the PAC 12 network. I wonder who will provide commentary for that game.

As long as I neither see his face or hear his voice and opinions I will be fine with whoever you are thinking about.

If you are worried about it being Bill Walton, I understand you points. However, for everything that is annoying about Walton he is great at detailing many positives about non-conference Pac-12 opponents (the programs and the universities). Walton doing color would have some marketing benefit for Valpo.

bb33

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2021, 12:51:43 PM
https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/1453053593620303880?s=20

I feel sorry for Sheldon, Matt, and others excited about the team's prospects. Apparently, they didn't listen to the MVC podcast prognosticators, who confidently place Valpo's CEILING at 6th; their floor at 10th. I believe that rounds to about an 8th place finish.

Their ceiling didn't bother me because they know absolutely nothing about our team.  Sometimes it's better to play with a chip on your shoulder, or to take teams who are mentally unprepared.

TBH, I would be thrilled with 5th, but hoping for the greatest upset season of all time.  Saturday can't come soon enough.

VUBBFan

Can't wait for Saturday's game to get a little view of what to expect this year. So many possibilities.

Seems we will have to contend with some changes to get to the North parking lots along La Porte Ave as they made the area along the lots One Way.

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1453448597966622726

VUGrad1314

Unfortunately we will learn nothing from either exhibition really. Non D1s teach us nothing about our team's or any team's chances.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 27, 2021, 03:40:18 PM
Unfortunately we will learn nothing from either exhibition really. Non D1s teach us nothing about our team's or any team's chances.

Perhaps but remember that these two teams are scholarship D2's and Flagler is ranked #2 nationally in the opening poll.  They beat 2 D1's last year.  That should be a very good team.

https://flaglerathletics.com/news/2021/10/27/MBB_1027_NABC.aspx

Flagler returns four starters from last year's 18-3 club, who finished ranked No. 8. All-American guard Jaizec Lottie will look to once again lead the charges with fellow backcourt teammate, and all-conference guard, Derrick Ellis, Jr. A pair of all-conference forwards, Chris Metzger and Jalen Barr are back. Barr received PBC Defender of the Year honors.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 27, 2021, 12:59:47 PM
Quote from: justducky on October 26, 2021, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on October 24, 2021, 07:57:30 PMValpo vs Stanford will be on the PAC 12 network. I wonder who will provide commentary for that game.
If you are worried about it being Bill Walton, I understand you points. However, for everything that is annoying about Walton he is great at detailing many positives about non-conference Pac-12 opponents (the programs and the universities). Walton doing color would have some marketing benefit for Valpo.
Assuming Walton is doing a game that day, #2 UCLA is also playing and I'd bet he's on that game.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 27, 2021, 03:40:18 PM

These are good Div2 teams. We got beat by a good Div2 team the same year of the Sweet 16. That particular game taught us that without Bryce Drew, we couldn't beat a Div2 team.

valpopal

[tweet]1453408374515720195[/tweet]
Festivities Saturday evening to initiate basketball season will include a "Costume Contest." Perhaps this could also serve as a mascot audition, since none has been revealed yet. Also, I wonder if any student will participate in the contest dressed as a Crusader.

Just Sayin

bb33

Out of curiosity to MSUs perspective on the conference talk, I got sucked into their message board.  They are a bunch or arrogant SOBs, and I am not quite sure why.   Think they are too good for the Valley, and putting other teams down.  I went on Loyola (who of anyone has a right to be arrogant) who have their heads on straight.  Very classy and not judgmental.

It was an interesting read.  But now I really want to beat MSU, even more than before.  I hope everyone gives them a ride for their money, especially the ISUs. The fans heads will start spinning.

vu72

Can Kobe play in the exhibition games? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

MVC Fans have voted us 8th. Even with all the new faces and worrying about the team jelling together in the early part of the season I feel that that is far too low. Can't wait to see the team surprise a lot of people and finish at least in the top 6. Go Valpo!

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 28, 2021, 12:46:05 PM
MVC Fans have voted us 8th. Even with all the new faces and worrying about the team jelling together in the early part of the season I feel that that is far too low. Can't wait to see the team surprise a lot of people and finish at least in the top 6. Go Valpo!
C'Mon Man!!!! didn't you do your over/unders.....
Top 5!!!!! ;)
Shine on Vu

talksalot

East West University... if you are asking yourself "Why?"... Here is some background on Tommie Posley, the Phantom's head coach.   
Obviously we are providing an opportunity for the institution and for the coach and players; but given the background... I think this is a pretty cool game to play.

In addition to basketball coach...Coach Posley has a few other things going on.
(https://sites.google.com/site/hhrcillinois/our-staff/tommy-l-posley) - which I have shared below...

Tommie L. Posley is a loving father of eight children, five girls and three sons (two sons now deceased). He was born in West Memphis, Arkansas where he was the oldest of four brothers. His childhood was that of a normal southern family with both parents working hard to provide the best possible for their children. His parents were always very stern about their son's growing to become productive gentlemen who respected life and all it has to offer.

His family relocated to Chicago, Illinois in the late 1960's where he first developed his love for the game of basketball. With his skills on the court as a teenager, he played for St. Michael's High School. As a young adult his basketball talents landed him a point guard position on a very popular, talented and often undefeated local basketball team named the "Windy's". Under the leadership of Coach Darryl Brazil who had zero tolerance for anything short of excellent sportsmanship and a winning attitude.

His love of basketball often found him in a mentorship roll for young men who shared his same passion. He quickly realized that he had become a mentor to a countless number of young men. Often these men were seeking guidance and a hands on approach to their life's short comings. This role had become a priority to "Coach Posley", as he is now known to everyone.

Tommie L. Posley is also a dedicated mentor for organization called "Youth as a Possibility". This was it, he had found his calling. His calling is to be a voice for young men across the City of Chicago, all the while still active with his love of basketball as a coach.

He has held coaching positions at: Dunbar High School, Manley High School, East West University, Sonny Parker Youth Foundation and now currently the Head Coach of the women's basketball team at Indiana, Dabney University.

Later he secured employment at the Cook County Jail as a Substance Abuse Counselor. He also joined their team of motivational speakers to troubled youth of this facility. By popular demand he was also a motivational speaker with audiences, including but not limited to: Cook County Jail, Chicago Public Schools and the Chicago Housing Authority.

His perseverance lead him to becoming a dedicated church member.  His countless missionary endeavors lead to his Ordination as a faithful servant as a Deacon. 

Amongst the many hats that Tommie Posley wears the most important role of all is his recent union to his wife Rhonda Marshall-Posley.

Tommie Posley is to be commended for his work habits and all that he gives of himself and his enormous heart.
==================

This is a 4-year old interview on WGN...This is not a typical Collegiate Head Coach interview...

https://wgnradio.com/sports/east-west-basketball-coach-tommie-posley-it-was-a-way-for-me-to-get-these-guys-off-the-street-and-keep-them-in-the-gym/

vu72

Great interview with Sheldon Edwards!  Lots of inside stuff on various players!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwaikQJiF4

Chairback

This is fantastic.  I loved when they were talking about the preseason rankings and Sheldon says the team shrugged their heads but we will handle business. 

VUBBFan

The start of the season can not come too soon. Excited to see what we have this year.

https://twitter.com/TLAPSportsFLA/status/1453787621793181702

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 29, 2021, 12:08:42 PM
The start of the season can not come too soon. Excited to see what we have this year.

https://twitter.com/TLAPSportsFLA/status/1453787621793181702

These video clips have the same 3 players working out together on their own time - Sheldon, Darius, and Keyondre. 3 guys that until sometime this summer were total strangers who lived worlds apart, yet already they appear to have formed a strong bond and feed off each other's love for and dedication to the game of basketball. I love it.

I'm my younger days, I used to go to the Y on weeknights to play pickup bb. You walk in and start shooting around. At some point, someone says hey you guys want to get a game going? The next thing you know you're in an intense game of bb with guys you may or may not know, who may or may not be good, doesn't matter. The next 2 hours (or whatever) are pure joy. No game on earth brings people together like bb. When it's played well, it's poetry in motion. Nothing like it IMHO.

Let the games begin!

VUGrad1314

Some of my fondest memories at Valpo were watching Rowdy's teams. He was such a special player  and is an even better person. I'm glad I got the chance to get to know him a little. Some of my fondest memories as a fan were watching the NIT team in 2016. A well-oiled machine that I am confident would have made the Sweet 16 if not deeper had they gotten in. Watching Florida State (who I like to remind people every chance I get we are 2-0 all time against) and St Mary's legitimately tremble in fear before Vashil in the paint was so much fun and brought me such joy! That was truly a special team. Two things I wish I could have seen were Rowdy and Alec Peters playing together and a one-off scrimmage match of the 1998 team Vs the 2016 team with all players assuming the form and skills of their respective seasons. That game would have been EPIC! And I know it sounds crazy because the 1998 team would have had the best player on the floor but I really think the 2016 team might very well win that matchup if it were to be played. That team would unquestionably be deeper which I think would prove to be the difference. Just a random musing. What do you all think? If the 98 team played the 16 team who wins and why?

VU2014

I know I should move on from the Donovan stuff, but this promo interview cracked me up when he said, "Loyalty is important to me."

Just too funny hearing him say those words. If you want to transfer fine, but the inner conference transfer and not sitting out a year does bother me. No ill will (I hope Donovan has a success career, I really do), but I hope we beat Missouri State and he goes 1-6 behind the 3 point line in games against us.

https://twitter.com/msubearshoops/status/1454138886771249154?s=21

bb33

Quote from: VU2014 on October 30, 2021, 12:15:10 AM
I know I should move on from the Donovan stuff, but this promo interview cracked me up when he said, "Loyalty is important to me."

Just too funny hearing him say those words. If you want to transfer fine, but the inner conference transfer and not sitting out a year does bother me. No ill will (I hope Donovan has a success career, I really do), but I hope we beat Missouri State and he goes 1-6 behind the 3 point line in games against us.

https://twitter.com/msubearshoops/status/1454138886771249154?s=21

I wish Donovan the well, but regarding loyalty, he didn't say HE was loyal He wanted a team loyal to him.  Very self focused, just like he played.  I do not like the interconfertnce transfer, and the league should have been the one to have ramifications.  Matt couldn't be the one to stop it.

valpotx

Selfish player, but good luck to him
"Don't mess with Texas"