• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Loyola 8 pm 1/11 on CBS Sports Network

Started by humbleopinion, January 11, 2022, 09:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Why why why take that shot Sheldon. Drive the ball.

hailcrusaders

Again with the absolutely TERRIBLE shot selection on a potential buzzer beater. DRIVE THE PAINT!!!! Why are we settling for long jumpers??? Everyone thinks they're Steph Curry. You're not! Get the ball inside!
#CrusadersForever

mj

We just keep throwing away our chances...same as last game.
I believe that we will win.

Chairback

We had so much time and we had a timeout to draw something up. 

mj

valpolaw

We squandered so many chances to win this game. Waiting 19 seconds just to launch a 3 with a few seconds left was one of them. We were in the bonus too at that time

valpotx

I often wonder if Lottich calls for Sheldon to take the ball 1-on-1 in these circumstances?  You could tell that he wasn't going to pass down 2...
"Don't mess with Texas"

AlecPeters101

I can't stand watching Sheldon Edwards play basketball...

valpolaw

Lottich needed that win to get off the hot seat. Chalk up another moral victory though

hailcrusaders

I tuned in with zero expectations...and somehow I'm still disappointed
#CrusadersForever

valpotx

You can't fault our shooting overall.  Just some absolute choke jobs individually when we were ahead at the end of regulation.  Lottich coaches a hell of a game, in my opinion, and for most of the game, players were very good.  Just choking at the end...
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Finding new and even more exciting ways to lose. 

AlecPeters101

NativeCheesehead

We all blamed Bakari, Edwards, et al for their poor shot selection the last few years, but when you don't have an offensive plan or a series of set plays to run in end game scenarios this is what happens.

This was a good physical effort against a great team, and yes the officials were horrible, but for all our optimism in the offseason, hear we are again, 1-4 in the conference, under .500 and staring at yet another Thursday night date in St Louis.

vok22

How anybody can STILL defend lottich at this point is beyond me. Yes, individual mistakes and sloppy play. But we see the same individual, sloppy mistakes every game and nothing gets changed. There is no discipline on this tema and that's the difference between a double digit win and a loss. Really the difference in about 7 games so far this year too.

valpotx

Whether you choke in an end of game situation, by not using both hands to catch the pass, is not something that you can coach.  Throwing an inbounds pass that is within arm's reach of the recipient, is not the coach.  Saying things to a referee when you think you are fouled, not once, but twice, is not the coach.  Those are all individuals.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

The last three games have all been horrible in their own way, each more excruciating than the last.

What circle of hell are we at currently?

valpotx

You can't teach the feeling that you get internally, when a game is tight in crunch time.  Tie game in the bottom of the 9th, 3-2 count, is it easy to throw that next strike?  You literally feel it in your body, no matter how much you try to calm yourself down.  How you react is up to you as an individual.  You can't coach being clutch.
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

I agree with Valpotx ... Lottich coached a good game. 2 bad plays in regulation at the end where inbound passes were screwed up. One where Edwards should have used both hands.  But .... the refs were Loyola's 6th man ... calls were not called fair both ways. Very obvious. The guys played a hell of a game.

mj

QuoteWe all blamed Bakari, Edwards, et al for their poor shot selection the last few years, but when you don't have an offensive plan or a series of set plays to run in end game scenarios this is what happens.

I believe the play is called: "Pretend to make the game winner while playing in the backyard"

mj

Rudy played a hell of a game tonight. Would have liked to get the technical foul back and the ill timed turnover but otherwise he was great.

vok22

I don't think some of you are familiar with all of a coaches responsibilities. They don't end at Xs and Os or in game actions. It's preparing the team for situations like these. Working in practice on these situations. And yes, that does include how to throw an inbounds pass away from a defender where only your teammate can get it. And it certainly involves coaching your team to play in control and not make dumb mistakes, such as the technical fouls. Whether that be through discipline in practice or in games. I sit right behind the bench. Lottich will privately rip a player  for a decision to an assistant, and then when that player comes out tap him on the butt and not say anything. Most of the time an assistant doesn't even grab them to talk about it, although sometimes they do. Maybe he gets on them in practice, but we sure aren't seeing the results of that because the same boneheaded sloppiness comes out every game.

I can humor you for a minute and say it is on the players and nothing on the coach. Who is recruiting those players? Why are the coaches not recruiting players that demonstrate poise and control and level headedness? Why are so many other schools able to do it but not us? For 6 years now we have come up with excuses and I am tired of it. This is worse than the Bears.

oklahomamick

I thought valentine coached a good game.

1.  Did you see the adjustments he made at halftime?  The difference in the way his team played on D. 

2.  Did you see the out of bounds play that led to the OPEN 3 point shot in 2nd OT which put the game away? 

Which coach has been a head coach for 6 years and which one has been a head coach for 1 year?   

CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

The team is coming along nicely. Best played game of the year. Will this game crush them or motivate them? I think they now think they can play with anyone in the MVC and this loss will motivate them. The only question is, will they ever play as well from now on and even if they do, will they win?   
Next game please.

humbleopinion

Calling the ticky-tack foul on Kithier with 15.7 seconds left was absurd
Beamin' Beacons