• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

I thought you could only return to the college you played for if you pull out of the draft or don't get drafted? I could be wrong. Not sure.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on May 12, 2023, 07:26:40 AM
I thought you could only return to the college you played for if you pull out of the draft or don't get drafted? I could be wrong. Not sure.

You can't pull out of the NBA draft and then transfer? How about if your previous head coach leaves? What would be the purpose of such a rule? Wouldn't you try for the NBA first before you went to the trouble of transferring.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

I think players put both their name in the portal and go to the workouts/declare for the draft.

wh

Didn't AP do that after his Junior year? Pulled his name and returned? And we were wondering if he might transfer to a Power 5?

I'm not sure how any of this works...

tiny707

They must do both I guess? Declare for
draft and enter the transfer portal. What if a team fills all their slots and a player wants to go back to college? Has to have a place to go and yes, throw in coaches leaving too.

vok22

I would be shocked if Strawther or Smith ended up anywhere besides a championship hopeful program if they are playing college basketball next year.

crusader05

Yeah i'd say your better bet is looking for players like a Peters who may be told go somewhere and increase your time/stats to get more looks/experience. You could go to a championship team but if you're on the bubble and you end up the 8th man in a rotation that's not gonna help get the eyes on your that you'd need.

tiny707

Vok22, maybe The Rev will shock you and others? Who knows? We do have a lot of open slots. We will see. Interesting.

Just Sayin

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-10-13/ncaa-certified-agents-helping-college-athletes-test-nba-draft-waters

QuoteThree years ago, the NCAA revised its rules and began implementing a certification process for agents to represent Division I men's basketball players while they weigh their prospects of trying to compete in the NBA. Under the change, if student-athletes use an NCAA-certified agent while gathering information on whether to enter the NBA draft, they retain their college eligibility if they choose to return to school.

The revised rules altered the recruitment process that agents have with prospective professional players and brought pushback from agents, as well as their clients already in the NBA.

The rules changes were spurred in 2018 when the Commission on College Basketball reported that NCAA student-athletes needed earlier professional advice to determine whether it is in their best interests to declare for the NBA draft.

QuoteAs a result, the NCAA agent certification program was created. A student-athlete whose team's basketball season has concluded can start the process by requesting an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee via email at UAC@nba.com.

After an NCAA player fills out the application for feedback from the NBA, he can begin working with an NCAA-certified agent. If a player chooses to sign with an agent not certified by the NCAA, he forfeits his college eligibility.

QuoteOnce the player selects the agent to help explore his NBA draft prospects, the work goes to the stage of obtaining individual workouts and invitations to the NBA Draft Combine or G League Elite Camp.

QuoteThe agents don't make the final decisions on whether a player should pursue a professional career or head back to campus. They offer advice, and the player makes the call on which route to take.

Per NCAA rules, players face a deadline of 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA Draft Combine to withdraw from the process and return to school. In this time frame, players also receive more feedback from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee.

Just Sayin

Testing the Waters – the NCAA Issues a Memo About Best Practices for DI Basketball Players Seeking a Career in the NBA

https://sportslawexpert.com/2022/03/10/testing-the-waters-the-ncaa-issues-a-memo-about-best-practices-for-di-basketball-players-seeking-a-career-in-the-nba/

QuoteFor top tier talent, the decision to remain in college or test the waters of the professional draft is a yearly occurrence, but for those who are on the fringe of being selected or being passed over by those in the professional ranks, such a decision is magnified. The following article addresses a best practices memorandum recently issued by the NCAA to NCAA DI athletic directors, head coaches and various other pertinent stakeholders to help guide their athletes who are considering making the jump from intercollegiate play to the professional realm.

For those on the aforementioned fringe, the memorandum serves as a guideline which will allow them to test the waters without completely forgoing their eligibility and amateurism status required by the NCAA. If they discover such a jump into the professional ranks is not in their best interest at this given time and they seek to return to the collegiate ranks, the memorandum highlights how this may be a better option.

The analysis follows:

BEST PRACTICES

As previously stated, this memorandum serves as a guideline for DI men's basketball players and their constituents to successfully navigate the NBA draft process while not completely forgoing their eligibility during the process. Nine pertinent rules are distinctly listed for athletes, their families, coaches, and all others potentially involved with such a decision to consider and abide by if they wish to avoid losing the athlete's NCAA eligibility while testing the waters. The nine rules for losing eligibility are as follows:

He enters the NBA Draft or hires an NCAA-certified agent prior to or without requesting an NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation from the NBA.
He agrees orally or in writing to be represented by any individual other than an NCAA-certified agent.
He agrees orally or in writing to be represented by an NCAA-certified agent outside of the permissible timeframe allowed by NCAA legislation.
He accepts any benefits from an individual other than an NCAA-certified agent.
He accepts any benefits from an NCAA-certified agent that are not expressly permitted by NCAA legislation or outside of the permissible timeframe allowed by NCAA legislation.
He participates in a tryout with an NBA team that lasts longer than 48-hours (exception for the NBA Draft Combine and the G League Elite Camp held in connection with the Combine), which he has not personally financed, or his NCAA-certified agent has not financed.
He misses class to participate in a tryout, including travel to and from the tryout (exception for the NBA Draft Combine and G League Elite Camp held in connection with the Combine).
He enters the NBA Draft AND does not take the appropriate steps to withdraw and declare his intention to resume intercollegiate participation.
He enters the NBA Draft AND is drafted by a professional team.

Explanation and conclusion follows in the above-linked article.

Valpo1993

I get the kids want the big payday.  If they are not projected as a first round pick they should stay in school.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on May 12, 2023, 08:36:24 AMI think players put both their name in the portal and go to the workouts/declare for the draft.
Yes. For instance, St. John's just got a commitment from Jordan Dingle who's a really good player from Penn. However Dingle has also declared for the draft and has future "pro days" with a few NBA teams. So ultimately he could end up in the NBA.

Players can pull their names out of the draft hat and retain college eligibility through the 10th day after the ending of the NBA combine...this year May 18.

tiny707

Also, grad transfers can transfer at anytime. There is no cut off date to
put your name in the transfer portal.

valporun

Entering the NBA Draft isn't the same as the transfer portal. The NBA Draft allows for return to school, if you're not going to get the draft hope you thought you had, or like Alec, it gave you a chance to get an idea of what skill sets for the NBA an individual needs to potentially get drafted. That's not the same as entering the transfer portal. With the transfer portal, that's essentially the same as telling the school "I'm NOT coming back to this institution". Just because the two players from Gonzaga declared for the NBA Draft doesn't mean they are in the transfer portal, and potentially looking at Valpo because of Coach Powell, or that we should be looking at them for our team.

tiny707

Hoopsrumors had this for draft:
College underclassmen expected to remain in the draft:
1.) Julian Strawther, G/F, Gonzaga, JR.
College underclassmen testing the waters(some of these players may be transferring to new schools):
1.) Rayshon Harrison, G, GCU, JR.
College seniors testing the waters(some of these players may be transferring to new schools):
1.) Jalen Hill, F, Oklahoma.
2.) Malachi Smith, G, Gonzaga.
3.) Drew Timme, F/C, Gonzaga.
4.) Qudus Wahab, C, Georgetown.
5.) Anton Watson, F, Gonzaga.

VULB#62

Paul has a great interview with Edwards up on TVB. Surprised that he never got to visit Valpo ever in the recruiting cycle before committing to Murray. Where the heck were we?

valpopal

Quote from: Chairback on May 11, 2023, 04:27:22 PM
June is going to be a really good month.  It's going to get really really good.   
The last day for entering the transfer portal passed last Thursday. Correct me if I am wrong, but by my thinking there are still 5 spots to fill on the team. The first summer school session starts tomorrow; however, a more practical deadline is likely June 26, the beginning of the second summer session. I imagine the ideal would be to have a roster set at least a week in advance of that date to bring together on campus as many players as possible for the second session. The major conference teams are completing their rosters and the dust will begin to settle soon as players still in the portal select landing locations at mid-majors. I will be curious to see how those remaining Valpo positions get filled in the next few weeks. The anticipation is refreshing since summer on this forum hasn't been as interesting in recent years.

tjjvalpo

The only way I see them filling all 13 scholarship positions is if they have 2 players transfer in with only year of eligibility left. My impression is that Coach Powell is sticking with finding the type of player that will fit his system and not just looking for bodies to fill out the roster.

tiny707

Agree TJJ. I like that his has a system in mind and then find the players for that system. Lottich would do the opposite. Get players and then figure out a system. Remember the beginning of this season we were going to be the three headed monster with the big men like the Bulls. Did not go well so then he moved Ben to top to facilitate. Three years ago it was freshmen, then Big Ten and then D2. The Rev is being patient and strategic. He has no fear. We don't need 13 players. Hell Murray State had a seven man rotation. I would not be shocked if we get a few of the players listed above after they decide to withdraw from draft.

Pgmado

Guys. I drink the Valpo Kool-Aid as much as anyone, but come on. Julian Strawther is not coming to a school that just lost a guy to McNesse State.

tiny707

Agree on Julian but six more names...

valpopal

If we can rely on past patterns by Coach Garrison, an announcement of news is imminent.
[tweet]1658189501368262669[/tweet]

wh

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on May 15, 2023, 03:10:23 PMIf we can rely on past patterns by Coach Garrison, an announcement of news is imminent. [tweet]1658189501368262669[/tweet]
Anything on this particular Boom or is this just a randomly placed Boom?

crusader05

Not yet but I believe he posted something similar before other recruit announcements.