• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: justducky on June 21, 2012, 10:21:22 PM
Quote from: covufan on June 21, 2012, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2012, 04:23:19 PMOne more thing:  Oren calls this "one of the most anticipated freshmen classes in Valparaiso history."
[/size][/color]
Do we think that is so?  I mean, easily in recent memory perhaps, when recruiting classes are often NOT freshmen, but still...when the dust settles and the ink dries we'll have to weigh these things.

I think it could be, at least since the Kenny Harris Freshman class.

Lets approach this subject from another direction. I think that we can all in general agree that we would like to be a program that could consistantly compete well with the bottom half of the Big Ten and the top half of the A-10. So lets say that Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, Dayton, Butler, and Xavier all have 6 seniors going into next season and all so far have verbal commitments from guys named Lexus Williams, Jubril Adekoya, Clay Yeo and Nick Davidson. What is the reaction from their fan bases?
On June 21 I posted the question above and no one was willing to attempt an answer. Today I can add Alec Peters name to that list and will again ask for your opinions. I think that another way that I could phrase this would be to ask for an assessment of this recruiting class by any top 100 div-1 program (other than Valpo).

There are no simple right answers and I have no "gotcha" responses so feel free to stick your neck out.

SadersofthelostArc

Honestly, I think schools like Dayton might be excited about the class....particularly Peters.

However, Xavier, Butler etc would not be high on this group.  Xavier has a 5-star committed.  Butler has two 3-stars.  Same for Nebraska and Northwestern.  Penn State has three 3-stars. 

Our group just doesn't have the (Rivals/ESPN) "star power."  Our guys range from not-rated to 2 stars.  That said, I think we have an under-the rader group of a 4 star (Peters), 3 star (Davidson) and very high upside 2 stars (Yeo, Adekoya, Williams) that could easily push into 3 star respect.  Throw in Chadwick who was a 3-star and the class looks even better.

So, those teams wouldn't be happy with this class...but I couldn't care less.  This is a dynamite group that is going to out-perform most people's expectations.

vu72

And to think, there is still one open slot for next year and probably two as Tommy Kurth will have eligibility but will have graduated and presumably will want to get on with his career but, could decide to stay to take advantage of a year of graduate school.

When I look at the depth chart, acknowledging that my assumptions are based on high school evaluations in some cases, it will be as deep a team, in 13-14 as we will have this coming year.  Presume Bryce will hold the one/two slots for powerhouse transfers to help with the following year when we will be relying much more on our younger players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Isn't today the first day for early NLI signings for Class of 2013 recruits?  Any word on ours?

valpo4life

I saw via Paul Oren's twitter account that everyone appeared to have signed their's this morning minus Davidson. And the only reason he did not know about Davidson was because he does not have a twitter account. Exciting day for everyone.

agibson

Here's one:

Triton Athletics ‏@tritontrojanfan

It's official! @ValpoBound5 "Clay Yeo" signs his letter of intent to play basketball for @ValpoUCrusader in 2013 pic.twitter.com/YTe4kvEB
Retweeted by Clay Yeo

I'd not seen his twitter account before!  @ValpoBound5 indeed.

Also

@AnthonyKunder

S/O to my lil big cousin @ValpoBound5 for officially becoming a Crusader this morning. #CrusaderNation #Family pic.twitter.com/6go0f0ao

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on November 14, 2012, 01:53:32 PM
I saw via Paul Oren's twitter account that everyone appeared to have signed their's this morning minus Davidson. And the only reason he did not know about Davidson was because he does not have a twitter account. Exciting day for everyone.

I've lost track, who's "everyone" aside from Davidson and Yeo? 

I can't seem to find Oren's tweet...

chef

Adekoya, Peters and Williams

hungry4moreYeo

Clay Yeo signed at 8:00am this morning.  :thumbsup:

valpotx

Hopefully all sign!  I am sure that it doesn't hurt that we are kicking the crap out of teams early in the schedule
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Here's twitter links for four, where it's pretty clear that at least three have signed.    Peters has twitter, but it's not 100% obvious he signed.  Davidson's a tweet refusenik, apparently.

Williams
https://twitter.com/smooveLex

Yeo
https://twitter.com/ValpoBound5

Adekoya
http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/207-jubril-adekoya-talks-valpo-signing
https://twitter.com/JBoogie_Rocks

Peters is at
https://twitter.com/petersalec
where it doesn't seem to specifically stated that he signed - but it seems like all
signals are "go".
And, he was pretty excited that his math teacher let his class watch the NIU game (and tweet about it!).

And Davidson who reportedly doesn't tweet.

valporun

Was Peters waiting to sign after school got out in a big signing party at school? Even if he signed it this morning, and mailed it, they send extra copies for the school signing party event for local media and high school friends.

SadersofthelostArc

This class is going to do some really great things in the next four years!

valpopal

I believe Peters is scheduled to have an official signing later today, which will complete the signings of a terrific incoming class of freshmen.

valpotx

Awesome news to have them all on board.  Also great to see that they communicate freely with each other on Twitter already, and seem to be building up a bond before even touching campus
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

The VU Athletic site just released a story of 4 signees.  Peter is not among them.  Why would they not wait for a delayed signing?

valpopal

Update: Peters says he will sign his Valpo letter of intent tomorrow. Apparently, he has been waiting for his parents to get home from an out of town trip.

valpopal

For those looking for good news after last night's Nebraska game, I can report that Alec Peters just signed his Valpo letter of intent, and all of the impressive incoming class are now on board to start in 2013!

wh

Congratulations to our 5 future Crusader stars - Jubril, Clay, Alec, Lexus and Nick!  My best to all of you for a fun and exciting senior season.

vu72

Why hasn't there been an official release concerning Peters signing?  Makes you want to say Huh??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

He did confirm that he signed on Twitter, but it was delayed because his parents were out of town.

wh

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/226-alec-peters-excited-to-join-valpo

Alec Peters Excited To Join Valpo

Category: Latest News
Published on Saturday, 17 November 2012 05:17
Written by Scott Burgess

Valparaiso landed a monster recruiting class in 2013 led by three Illinois prospects.  Their biggest get might have been Washington High School small forward Alec Peters. 
He is an elite shooter with great size and a strong body.  He became one of the biggest recruiting battles of the summer and fall before his commitment to Valpo.  Friday night Peters made it official and had his signing ceremony.

"It feels great!!!  Time to start playing ball now!!  Feels great to officially join the Valpo family!"

He is excited to play with his incoming freshman class.

"I can't wait.  Lex, Jubril, Clay, and Nick are all guys I can't wait to start playing with.  We expect to do some big things there and really feel like we will have a great chemistry right away."

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
Why hasn't there been an official release concerning Peters signing?  Makes you want to say Huh??

"Patience, Grasshopper." Peters signed late Friday. In the meantime, there has been a weekend during which the basketball team has been on the road the whole time. Valpo can't say anything until the coaching staff receives the letter of intent in hand, plus Bryce has been a bit busy at Nebraska and Kent State.  ;)