• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Season over tomorrow-what will you do besides watch the NCAA tourney?

Started by historyman, March 13, 2012, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMvalpo18

Quote from: MattCarter on March 15, 2012, 12:21:07 PM
After the tourney is done, I am hoping to watch WAY less TV.  Gonna really try and work on my house this year and catch up on everything I ignored while I was lost in Crusader Nation  :thumbsup: It seems like year after year, I get more and more bored with baseball.

I too get more and more bored with baseball! I don't know why. I like to root for the White Sox, but I don't really care if they don't achieve much success.

valporun

The White Sox are in a worse rebuilding situation than the Cubs are. The White Sox still have Kenny Williams, who insists we "stay out of White Sox business". The Cubs may be rebuilding, but Dale Sveum has more coaching experience in the majors than Robin Ventura has coaching experience of any kind.

valpotx

That clip is played pretty often at Ranger games.  It is definitely played at least once each White Sox series in Arlington, so it will be fun to see if it is this year with Ventura managing. ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on March 19, 2012, 11:46:19 AM
That clip is played pretty often at Ranger games.  It is definitely played at least once each White Sox series in Arlington, so it will be fun to see if it is this year with Ventura managing. ;)

That's how the Rangers will announce him, "And the manager of the Chicago White Sox is (cue Nolan beating the crap out of) Robin Ventura".

covufan

I always liked watching Ventura play, especially at bat when the bases were loaded.  However, if you're going to charge an old man on the mound, you better make sure you do more than get your head in a headlock and pummeled several times. 

valpo04

Quote from: valpotx on March 19, 2012, 11:46:19 AM

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/09/rangers-wont-show-clip-of-nolan-ryan-beating-up-robin-ventura-when-white-sox-are-in-town/

QuoteInstead of regularly playing the 1993 clip of Ventura charging the mound and getting beaten up by a 46-year-old Ryan–which they've shown on the ballpark jumbotron before nearly every game–the Rangers will not show the video during their opening-weekend series against the White Sox.

Quote"We may show it on the day it happened as part of the 40th anniversary moments, but that's probably it. I just thought this offseason that we didn't need to be showing that anymore. I watched how St. Louis treated Stan the Man during the playoffs and that's how we should treat Nolan as the face of the franchise. We'll celebrate his no-hitters and other moments.

I also don't think it's right for us on our Opening Day to show a fight, and then that whole weekend we're going to treat Robin Ventura with respect. He's the manager of the White Sox. We don't need to do anything like that."

valpotx

That would be too bad if they stopped showing it altogether.  I go to between 20-30 games each year, and every game it is shown, the crowd gives a huge round of applause lol.  They really get worked up to see the brash 46 year old Texan beat the crap out of the cocky young rookie.  I don't think people realize outside of Texas how big the legend/shadow of Nolan Ryan is throughout Texas...
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

valporun

C'mon, Stl... Respond to it. We could probably use a good laugh. I mean right now all I'm hearing on tv is about Peyton Manning supposedly signing with Denver and the Illinois Primary tomorrow. I could use a good laugh.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on March 19, 2012, 04:00:11 PM
C'mon, Stl... Respond to it. We could probably use a good laugh. I mean right now all I'm hearing on tv is about Peyton Manning supposedly signing with Denver and the Illinois Primary tomorrow. I could use a good laugh.

Nah, I brought it on myself, so I'll just take it ;)

I just saw a Sun Times article that reports from a "source" (of the unnamed variety of course) that the Illini are all in on Shaka Smart, won't take no for an answer, money is no object, and Smart is listening.  WSCR is talking about whether Carmody should be fired at NW (as you said, they're all talking about it up there).

I know it's the real world, and I know a guy's gotta do what he's gotta do.

All the same, I feel sad today (and I just bought my Sweet Sixteen tickets for Friday-Sunday -- #WeAreAllBobcatsNow -- and I'm wondering what I'm going to be feeling like as I sit there watching the last Mid-Majority team take on the giants).  Butler's a done deal is something I'm hearing more and more these days.

What I think I'm being reminded of is that being a Mid-Majority fan means forgetting about becoming attached to individuals.  Know that the more they excel, the more likely they're going to escape to greener pastures.  It's about watching whoever plays for your team and the other teams in your conference to see if they can maximize their potential and fight for every inch, knowing that it's all transitory.  Nobody stays forever, not even prized coaches and teams.  The more prized they are, the more likely they are to leave.  You learn -- somehow -- to wish them well, but your allegiance remains where it is as long as those left behind are doing everything they can to excel.  You see if you can enjoy the journey, even if any glory that comes is gone almost as soon as it arrives (gosh, I sure hope I'm not taking on a Minnesota Twins mindset here!!!)

It's a hard way to be a fan, but there's something cleansing about the realization.