• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

"Potential targets could include Ohio's John Groce, Bucknell's Dave Paulsen, Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson and Valparaiso's Bryce Drew. Craig Robinson is a former NU assistant who has done decently at Oregon State. He's also Michele Obama's brother."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/greenstein/ct-spt-0318-northwestern-basketball--20120318,0,2011513.column

Valpo89

valporun

Greenstein was definitely throwing names around when he mentioned Illini fans' favorite Shaka Smart as an option because Smart's wife was an NU journalism school grad student.

valpopal

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 17, 2012, 11:37:54 PM
Teddy Greenstein is just pulling names out of a hat.

True, but the point is that Bryce's name is now among the ones pulled out of the hat.

Valpo89

Teddy went to Northwestern. That's probably how he knows about Smart's wife.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2012, 12:03:37 AM
Greenstein was definitely throwing names around when he mentioned Illini fans' favorite Shaka Smart as an option because Smart's wife was an NU journalism school grad student.

What's the problem with Smart?  Or you're just saying there's no way he'd take the Northwestern job?

vuweathernerd

didn't shaka just sign a substantial extension with vcu after last season's final four appearance?

valpo84

Shaka will have the pick of jobs in the SE and around the country. NW, as much as I would love that job, is not the place for Shaka. Illinois would be a better landing spot for him or Robinson. Tommy Amaker might be a better name to pull out or a Chris Collins. Both are used to schools with rigorous admissions standards. I hear Wake Forest would like NW to steal their coach. (SI).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 18, 2012, 09:20:22 AM
Shaka will have the pick of jobs in the SE and around the country. NW, as much as I would love that job, is not the place for Shaka. Illinois would be a better landing spot for him or Robinson. Tommy Amaker might be a better name to pull out or a Chris Collins. Both are used to schools with rigorous admissions standards. I hear Wake Forest would like NW to steal their coach. (SI).
I never understood Wake getting rid of Gaudio, but glad that Colorado got Tad Boyle out of the situation.  Not sure Carmody would do any better at Wake.

valporun

I have nothing wrong with Shaka Smart. I just don't think he's a good fit at Northwestern. I've also heard there are many financial limitations in terms of what he would make at NU compared to what he's making at VCU currently and in the future of his contract extension. Illinois gives him better options for recruiting, scheduling, venues, and a wider budget for recruiting. Northwestern has the recruiting limitations of academic guidelines that a lot of kids who would want to play for him from the Chicago or Illinois borders couldn't meet. Illinois would give him that chance to really recruit Chicago, and potentially keep Jabari Parker committed to them as a part of the 2013 recruiting class.

agibson

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 18, 2012, 08:34:56 AM
didn't shaka just sign a substantial extension with vcu after last season's final four appearance?

From wikipedia
On April 4, 2011, Smart agreed to an 8-year contract extension with the VCU Rams, increasing his base pay from $350,000 to $1.2 million per year, prior to any performance bonuses.

Two days after Butler beat them in the final four.

Compare to Brad Stevens, also from wikipedia
On April 8, 2010, Stevens signed a long-term deal with Butler, extending his contract through the 2021–22 season.[65] Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed; however, Butler president Bobby Fong had publicly stated that the university could afford to increase Stevens' base salary to approximately US$1,000,000 a few days prior.[66] Stevens had previously made US$395,000 plus benefits in base salary, a relatively low figure for a successful Division I head basketball coach.[67] His total compensation for 2009–10 was estimated at US$750,000.[68] Stevens' has received a raise after each of his three seasons at Butler and his contract contains a buyout clause estimated in the high six or low seven figures.

(I left the footnotes in this time, there was even another at the end.)

Three days after losing to Duke in the final.

hoopfan22

cornonthe

Anyone hear about Bryce on SMU's short list??? No mention of an actual contact though...they also said that Tulsa's HC was the frontrunner. Also, I didn't even know that Northwestern was looking for a HC...

StlVUFan

valpotx

Who would take the NW job that has a better chance elsewhere?  They still haven't made an NCAA tournament appearance.  Bryce would not leave for a NW, SMU, Illinois, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpotx on March 19, 2012, 11:43:07 AM
Who would take the NW job that has a better chance elsewhere?  They still haven't made an NCAA tournament appearance.  Bryce would not leave for a NW, SMU, Illinois, etc.
LOL okay..

valporun

Stl, most radio and newspaper guys in sports in Chicago think that Carmody will be gone. Would any of the coaches from mid-majors being named for some of these openings want the NW job with the limited resources and contract money, plus having an exceptionally small recruiting window to work with?

valpotx

I maintain that it is going to take a special university & situation to steal Bryce away.  It will happen someday, but not in the near future.  NW is a crap job, as is SMU.  SMU is basically UT, Baylor, and TCU's little b*$%# in area in regards to sports, and does not give funds for basketball.  Illinois is a possibility in the future, but does not have the safety that Bryce probably wants.  Also, they will have some good candidates to choose from, and will be able to have the pick of the litter from the top mid-major coaches (ones that have won in the NCAA tourney as a coach).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

tx, if only SMU could ever get past the death penalty saga, and get some promise back into their programs. I think it will continue to be a crap job because they'll never get people around there to support it.

covufan

I think that SMU has become more relevant in football with June Jones, but it will take much more to become a Top 20 team year-in year-out.  I think Baylor has shown that if you put effort and money into the program, you can have success. 

valpotx

Yes, SMU has become a little more relevant in DFW in football.  If you can just keep some of the kids in area, you can have a top 20 team.  TCU proves this every year.  DFW is hit by almost every D-1 football program, that if SMU spent more money, it would also be at that level.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

That might be the problem, putting the money into the program could bring the NCAA investigators very quickly to make sure they aren't reverting to old practices. I saw the Pony Exce$$ 30 for 30, and how that payment scandal rocked the entire DFW area, even if the people weren't alums, but casual followers of the program. They were devastated and angered at the culprits of this mess. I'm guessing there are some people in DFW who wish that Ron Meyer was imprisoned and subject to the death penalty for what he did to the program in its heyday.

milanmiracle

While it will probably happen, I don't think getting rid of Carmody is the answer at NW? Bryce's name will continue to come up as long as he keeps winning. Being in a 1 bid league (when Butler leaves) will factor in his decision to stay or go.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Since when did the HL become a multiple-bid league?  For all intents and purposes the league has been, is, and will remain a 1-bid league.  90% of those bids in recent years have been earned by Butler.  If they leave, someone else will represent the HL instead.  If that one bid is a 15 instead of an 8 or a 12 it will have little to do with Butler leaving and everything to do with lousy recruiting going on right now by several HL programs and some poor quality coaching to boot.  The teams in this league (and their fans) need to stop fretting about what Butler may or may not do and spend more time worrying about their own program and figuring out what THEY can do to elevate the image and profile of the league.  Living off the coattails of someone else's success is so weak...

valpo04

Quote from: valporun on March 18, 2012, 12:03:37 AM

Smart has turned down the Illinois job.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/11442761-419/shaka-smart-turns-down-illinois-coaching-offer.html