• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What about next year?? - Lavonte Dority added

Started by vu72, March 18, 2012, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: chipper955 on March 22, 2012, 07:14:45 AM
Quote from: wh on March 21, 2012, 11:07:28 PM
Everyone back from a league championship team plus 3 quality transfers that undoubtedly will be competing for serious playing time.  So many good players and only 200 minutes to go around.   It should be interesting...

Not to mention that Fernandez will be eligible too.

In my mind it may not be a good idea to mention Fernandez and if he turns out to be a great benefit to the team, such as a shot blocker or rebounder, than so much better for Valpo. If not than fans won't be real disappointed in him either.

Valpo89

When you see the name Dority, does it make you want to eat some Doritos?

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2012, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: chipper955 on March 22, 2012, 07:14:45 AM
Quote from: wh on March 21, 2012, 11:07:28 PM
Everyone back from a league championship team plus 3 quality transfers that undoubtedly will be competing for serious playing time.  So many good players and only 200 minutes to go around.   It should be interesting...

Not to mention that Fernandez will be eligible too.

In my mind it may not be a good idea to mention Fernandez and if he turns out to be a great benefit to the team, such as a shot blocker or rebounder, than so much better for Valpo. If not than fans won't be real disappointed in him either.
???  Is that some kind of mentalist trick?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

A nice piece.  And it sounds like _Dority_ doesn't even know his eligibility.

Dority's eligibility is still in question, as it depends on whether he can get his associates degree at Triton Junior College. If he can, he would likely be able to play immediately, if not he would likely sit a semester.

"We're still not quite sure about eligibility right now. We're going through all the rules and making sure we do everything the right way, but hopefully I can get my degree and play right away, that's the plan," Doherty stated.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2012, 12:21:46 PM
A nice piece.  And it sounds like _Dority_ doesn't even know his eligibility.

Dority's eligibility is still in question, as it depends on whether he can get his associates degree at Triton Junior College. If he can, he would likely be able to play immediately, if not he would likely sit a semester.

"We're still not quite sure about eligibility right now. We're going through all the rules and making sure we do everything the right way, but hopefully I can get my degree and play right away, that's the plan," Doherty stated.
Not everyone knows if they will pass all their courses that they have crammed into their schedule while not playing their sport in order to be able to play their sport earlier. I understand Dority is a fair student and wants to take as many classes as possible while he is not playing. If he fails one or more classes he'll have a little extra time at Valpo to complete them but I'm sure it's easier at Triton Junior College. That will be two Valpo BB players coming from schools named Triton.   

agibson

Could well be.  I read it as "I haven't figured out this NCAA business either!".

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 22, 2012, 12:51:17 PM
Could well be.  I read it as "I haven't figured out this NCAA business either!".

Depending on which one of our guesses is correct will be a sign to how well Dority will do at Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

Lost in all the Dority talk here, it seems that before this the talk was all about the schollie going to a big or a SF.

Now it's gone to a point guard, and one whose HS coach said
"Talking to Coach Drew, he said he needed a point guard, and that's exactly what he is," Robinson said. "He's very unselfish, but he can score when you need him to. He's very strong, has a good feel to him." (since I'm a n00b I can't post external links, but it's the Post-Trib's article on the transfer)

How is this not a slap in the face to Buggs?  Is it spun as they needed another one BESIDES him, or literally, they needed one with an outside shot?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2012, 03:32:29 PM
Lost in all the Dority talk here, it seems that before this the talk was all about the schollie going to a big or a SF.

"Talking to Coach Drew, he said he needed a point guard, and that's exactly what he is," Robinson said. "He's very unselfish, but he can score when you need him to. He's very strong, has a good feel to him." (since I'm a n00b I can't post external links, but it's the Post-Trib's article on the transfer)

How is this not a slap in the face to Buggs?  Is it spun as they needed another one BESIDES him, or literally, they needed one with an outside shot?

i think it's both - buggs is a great defender, but historically has not been a good offensive presence. the other guards have more offensive prowess, but (with the exception of kenney, in my mind, who's solid), aren't great on-ball defenders. this kid sounds like a mix of both. it's a move designed to improve the defense when buggs is on the bench, the offense when necessary, but also a future guard for after erik leaves. next year is his last in college - we need to start looking at on-ball defense in the post-erik buggs era. in no way should this be considered an insult to buggs. i think even he would admit that he's been an offensive liability.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2012, 03:32:29 PM

A noob or a reincarnation?

LaPorteAveApostle

if by "reincarnation" you are surmising that I am some different instantiation of someone who has ever posted here before, you are incorrect, since I just found out about this site yesterday.

if you are thinking I'm a practicing Hindu, you're also incorrect.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

Buggs could take it as a slap in the face, but there also hasn't been a player on Twitter in the last three days who has reacted more positively to the additions than Buggs.

LaPorteAveApostle

That's great news.  I guess I am still hoping just a little that Dority would become eligible 2013-14, so that the inevitable downturn after the graduation of a major class is softened somewhat.  But no matter.  The Bryce is Right.

vu72

The addition of Dority will do a couple of things--and remember, this coming year is our chance to really make a statement.  First, as said before, often we were playing 4 on 5 as the defenses crowded the lane and let Erik shoot. If he improves his shot then that will solve that.  The next issue was what happens when Erik is on the bench due to foul trouble or being tired.  Jay was just OK as a backup and may be a better 2 if he can hit his shot more consistently.  We lacked a steady third scorer as several guys went for 20 one night and zero the next.  Jay was also not as good of a defender as Erik getting half as many steals over the course of the year.  Both had very similar asst to to ratios.

Dority brings Erik like speed, as good of a defensive presence, a little bigger and stronger and a much better 3 % than Erik and better than Jay. (based on what we've heard and read)
As for the scholarship going to a big, why?  We bring in Bobby and Vashil to go with Richie and Kevin.  We'll be much improved depth wise up front and hopefully get Rowdy to his natural position.

Having another speedster and defensive presence will make us really hard to defend and allow for more pressing.  I think we got what we needed the most.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Good point...by my math, Buggs has 5.18 pf/40 for his career, although he was best yet last year ('just' 4.41).  He's like an Oppland point guard.

All in for next year then.

EDIT:  with the "big" comment, I was referring to Oren's hypothesis that it would go to a Big that had to sit out a year.

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2012, 04:24:03 PM
The addition of Dority will do a couple of things--and remember, this coming year is our chance to really make a statement.  First, as said before, often we were playing 4 on 5 as the defenses crowded the lane and let Erik shoot. If he improves his shot then that will solve that.  The next issue was what happens when Erik is on the bench due to foul trouble or being tired.  Jay was just OK as a backup and may be a better 2 if he can hit his shot more consistently.  We lacked a steady third scorer as several guys went for 20 one night and zero the next.  Jay was also not as good of a defender as Erik getting half as many steals over the course of the year.  Both had very similar asst to to ratios.

Dority brings Erik like speed, as good of a defensive presence, a little bigger and stronger and a much better 3 % than Erik and better than Jay. (based on what we've heard and read)
As for the scholarship going to a big, why?  We bring in Bobby and Vashil to go with Richie and Kevin.  We'll be much improved depth wise up front and hopefully get Rowdy to his natural position.

Having another speedster and defensive presence will make us really hard to defend and allow for more pressing.  I think we got what we needed the most.
Push the ball!  And kick out to Rowdy, Boggs, Bogan, Kenney; or hit KVW (the trailer) as he finds a mismatch in the lane!

crusaderjoe

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 22, 2012, 04:29:02 PM
Good point...by my math, Buggs has 5.18 pf/40 for his career, although he was best yet last year ('just' 4.41).  He's like an Oppland point guard.

All in for next year then.

EDIT:  with the "big" comment, I was referring to Oren's hypothesis that it would go to a Big that had to sit out a year.

Maybe we are still going after a "big" at this point in time if you know what I mean.

sectionee

Where is BigDWsu? I got crucified last year for interviewing guys, ha. Loved hearing from the new guy! Will you be talking to Coleman soon? These transfers have only increased the excitement for next year!

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2012, 04:24:03 PMBoth had very similar asst to to ratios.

I hope Valpo's to to ratio is 0 to 14. What did you think this was about?

I heard Joffrey had a good ratio though. Something like 85%

At Joffrey Ballet School-American Ballet Center in New York, New York the enrolled population is 14% male and 86% female.

http://colleges.findthebest.com/q/2693/1270/What-is-the-male-to-female-ratio-at-Joffrey-Ballet-School-American-Ballet-Center-in-New-York-New-York

justducky

Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2012, 08:32:11 AM

Quote from: valpo04 on March 22, 2012, 06:17:10 AMI'd also argue that as a relative of a player who reads and posts on a fan message board, you know what you are getting into and if you are mean and grouchy and can't handle your "grandson" being talked about, perhaps this isn't the best place for you.

Bingo!

You guys shouldn't gang up on an old man, its just not fair. So ok I am not Tommys granddad but it certainly seems like I have spent a lot of time defending the boy. Perhaps this is  because few others have and perhaps because of my love of the underdog background and nature.
Now because of my work background and because of my reading of this boards interactions I have concluded that I am probably thicker skinned than say 95% of the people who post here. So maybe what I should be asking is how many others reacted to Milans post in the same way that I did? Since we can never put a voice to these posts with the additional imformation that a voices tones and inflections might provide it is all too easy to misinterpret. Here we were talking about a kid who is struggling and we all  seem content to have him burried before we are even sure that he is dead or what was killing him in the first place. This is just way too impersonal and thus for me difficult to take. (and no Dr. Ducky does not suspect some terminal condition)
So just to wrap this up, if you were offended Milan-my apology. We all need to remember that our selection of wording does matter. I think I have probably spent more time choosing language in the Kurth issue this season than on any other. It is just difficult to explain what you yourself do not understand.     I am tired and I have rambled enough.

vu72

Well, we all know milan is a "half empty" guy and perhaps that led to his choice of words.  If you re-read the Kurth comments many are genuinely concerned about his health.  He is a highly regarded person but not knowing why the level of play dropped off is a concern. Milan's point is valid, if not perfectly worded. Tommy just slid further down the depth chart with the addition of another guard who can also play the point.  Valpo made a pledge to Tommy and I'm sure they will honor it.  The question is, whether or not Tommy want to finish somewhere where he might see more court time, and that is a fair question.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

It's too bad Kurth couldn't just switch to football. From what I've heard, he's good enough to be the starting QB at VU right now.
Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to receive an athletic scholarship.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 22, 2012, 06:08:24 PMMaybe we are still going after a "big" at this point in time if you know what I mean.

Well, and here's where I start to get uncomfortable, again. 

I know, having just said "The Bryce Is Right"...but I'm *still* uncomfortable with the whole Witt thing, and if we really are "still going after a 'big'", then it looks like it's happening again--if it is to happen next year, that is.  If you have a date to the prom, you don't keep looking for one (an "upgrade")--it's bad form.  And right now our dance card is full.

If the price of one-upping Butler is to behave like UConn, then I don't know if it's worth it.  Heresy, I know, in a day & age where sporting success trumps all other virtue claims.  Yet there it is, and while I may be in the minority I'm sure I'm not alone.

agibson

I think the morality of it might depend on how it's sold to a player.  Do you tell an, obviously still developing, big man that he's your starter for the next four years?  Or do you let him know that you'll do your best to help him develop, that he'll have to earn playing time in practice like everyone else, and we'll see how it goes?  Maybe you point to previous players who have succeeded, maybe you tell him you think he looks to have a high ceiling (if he does).  I don't think that's any kind of commitment to be "the man" for four years, nor that he'll be happy at Valpo for four years.  And, indeed, it might not even be a commitment to a scholarship for four years.

agibson

I don't think I mentioned it here, but it looks like Witt is trying to get some Netball action going at the Valpo YMCA!