• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012 Football

Started by covufan, July 10, 2012, 01:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuPudge

Hi all,

I was at the school today and seen the freshmen class as they were checking in and Dam they are the real deal. Coach Carlson has gone out, and recruited football players in this 2012 class. Remember when I say this class will be remembered. I've seen freshmen that are bigger, stronger, fitter then the current football team. If I was a current player. I would be looking over my shoulders for the recruits. I am not saying we have a recruiting like LSU football  it would put this class up against any class in our conference for this season. Football will be back.

I think I am heading back again, to checkout the workout later in the week, if I can to see the team conditioning and speed. If they allow this.

VULB#62

Quote from: NuPudge on August 05, 2012, 03:45:56 AM

I was at the school today and seen the freshmen class as they were checking in and Dam they are the real deal. Coach Carlson has gone out, and recruited football players in this 2012 class. Remember when I say this class will be remembered. I've seen freshmen that are bigger, stronger, fitter then the current football team. If I was a current player. I would be looking over my shoulders for the recruits. I am not saying we have a recruiting like LSU football  it would put this class up against any class in our conference for this season. Football will be back.

I think I am heading back again, to checkout the workout later in the week, if I can to see the team conditioning and speed. If they allow this.

Pudge, I assume you meant that you "haven't seen freshman....  "

I believe all practices are open to the public, so by all means go.  But shoot for later in the week as the NCAA requires "aclimatization" which means that they start off in shorts and shirts for practice #1 and over the next few practices get to full pads.  Seeing a S&S doesn't tell you much.  Wait till they are in pads and there is some hitting going on.  Check with the FB office for times.  Here's a contact :

Patti.Nemeth@valpo.edu

Patti is the administrative assistant to coach Carlson. 

Look fwd to any reports.

willy

I was also at the school yesterday and agree with Nupudge. I'm new to Valpo and have not seen the current players but  I can tell you this group of freshmen look strong and fit. I would not be surprised if some of these guys get some playing time right away.

NuPudge

I spoke to a couple kids after today morning workout and they talked about a freshman DB there named Cotton. I am not sure who he is, but they said he was the strongest and fastest freshmen there.. I was looking for information about him and didn't see anything. Is he a transfer? I saw a few more freshmen and thought they were upper classmen.. I ran into 3 freshmen qb who stood about 6'3 with huge forearm. One had an offer from Purdue he said.

I saw a freshman who stood about 6'1 & 220, built like a LB and seems to a nice kid.

NuPudge

Pudge, I assume you meant that you "haven't seen freshman....  "

Yes, you are correct.. Sorry typing on my phone..

I must say, I would. E surprised if the freshmen don't get playing time...

vu72

Quote from: NuPudge on August 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM
I spoke to a couple kids after today morning workout and they talked about a freshman DB there named Cotton. I am not sure who he is, but they said he was the strongest and fastest freshmen there.. I was looking for information about him and didn't see anything. Is he a transfer? I saw a few more freshmen and thought they were upper classmen.. I ran into 3 freshmen qb who stood about 6'3 with huge forearm. One had an offer from Purdue he said.

I saw a freshman who stood about 6'1 & 220, built like a LB and seems to a nice kid.

That must be Cody Cotton, DB  5'10" 190lbs , from Walther Lutheran High in Maywood, IL

Here is what Coach Carlson said about him in the news relase about the recruiting class:

CODY COTTON (DB):
"Cody is versatile player who played well at corner as a junior and at safety as a senior. He is an excellent tackler
and is physical. We're not sure which spot we will start him out at in camp yet."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NuPudge

He other big kid was named Zachary Bihary. My word, what a big dude to have running the ball..
"Zach is an excellent blocker and receiver who will fit nicely into a fullback/H-Back/tight end role for us. We will be able to use him in the backfield, on the wing, and on the line of scrimmage. I like his versatility."

SAM AKAINYAH (DL)
"Sam is an ideal nose tackle in the 3-4 defense. He is powerful, has a good first strike, and is hard to knock of the ball. He has been involved in turning his high school program at North Shore Country Day into a state playoff team."

RYAN GORSKI (QB):
"Ryan is top quarterback prospect who makes plays passing and running the ball. He played in more of a pro-style offense in high school. He has the arm to make all the throws in our offense and is very accurate"

TRAE HOESKE (QB):
"Trae has the potential to be an excellent quarterback for us. He can make the throws we need and he has the ability to keep plays alive with his feet."
Both these guys are over 6'3 and look great..

IndyValpo

Any word on how the O Line and D Line are shaping up.  We graduated 3 of 5 OL starters plus a key freshman sub (Van Arnum) did not return. The DL graduated all 3 starters, a key sub and had an expected starter (Johnson) leave.

The offensive added 5 freshman and a JC, all 260 pounds or bigger.  The DL added 6 but 4 are undersized. One of the freshman is 335 pounds and if he can play that would be a plus.

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 17, 2012, 07:59:53 AM
Any word on how the O Line and D Line are shaping up.  We graduated 3 of 5 OL starters plus a key freshman sub (Van Arnum) did not return. The DL graduated all 3 starters, a key sub and had an expected starter (Johnson) leave.

The offensive added 5 freshman and a JC, all 260 pounds or bigger.  The DL added 6 but 4 are undersized. One of the freshman is 335 pounds and if he can play that would be a plus.

I'm afraid that question won't be answered until the St. Joe's game.  Practicing against themselves and even tomorrow's scrimmage won't reveal a thing.  Coach Carlson's communications don't get to that kind of detail either. He hasn't highlighted line play yet.  All of his comments are general, team references.  But your summary of returning and new players is a concern.

Here's a link to an August 16th Post-Trib article on the team.  Some names are mentioned and there is some info on the OL along with one reference to DL.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/14540146-556/valparaiso-hope-depth-on-offense-can-help-end-conference-skid.html

sectionee

they can't be any worse then last years lines, right? 

IndyValpo

Quote from: sectionee on August 17, 2012, 08:41:07 AMthey can't be any worse then last years lines, right? 
Actually, yes they could be worse.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 17, 2012, 08:16:19 AMHere's a link to an August 16th Post-Trib article on the team.  Some names are mentioned and there is some info on the OL along with one reference to DL.

Um...Coach?
Hoffman did that, completing nearly 60 percent of his passes, 13 for touchdowns. Unfortunately, he was also picked off 14 times. ... "Eric did some good things, but the big thing we've got to do is get the touchdown-interception ratio reversed," Carlson says.
I'm pretty sure that if he reverses the ratio, he'll throw 14 TD to 13 INT, and I'm even more sure that that will NOT change a {deleted} thing.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

NWI Times had an article by Paul Oren on Jabril Baker, a 6', 205 lb. RB, who's been out the last couple of years.  Could be a help.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/baker-excited-for-long-awaited-vu-football-debut/article_d87ee07c-5fef-57be-92e1-97b8eb37256d.html

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 17, 2012, 07:59:53 AM

Has anyone seen a two-deep for the St Joe game? 

The O and D lines will be crucial this year, if we want to improve that W column. 

Any word on why Van Arnum and Johnson chose not to return?

VULB#62

Nope, but Jalen Johnson was the kind of kid you could build a defense around.  Reminded me a lot of Adam Rundh but taller and I think a bit faster.  i wondered about that myself.

TC28

Any news on Trevor Hammer? He is listed as one of the 2012 commits but I don't see him on the updated roster. From his high school highlight tape, he looked pretty impressive and seemed like he could have contributed right away.

VULB#62

Rivals.com had him committed to VU along with two other kids who did make the 2012 roster.  Rivals mentioned that Tulsa University (D-I - FBS) was looking at him.  But I checked the TU roster and his name wasn't there.  Apparently he was a no-show this fall along with Nick Basile another DB.  Either that or both got homesick and left before the roster was finalized.  My guess with Hammer's stats ( 4.5 40, 31" vertical leap and 260# in the BP) he was waiting for a better, possibly FCS scholarship or D-II scholarship, offer to open up when he put his deposit down for Valpo.

VULB#62

Missing player update:  Jalen Johnson left for Miami of Ohio to try to walk on. Will have to sit out the year. Not sure he realizes the difference between FCS non-scholarship, FCS scholarship, and FBS.  UMass is making the move from the FCS Colonial League, where they have been quite successful, to MAC and they expect to get clobbered in the first couple of years.     Confirmed that Hammer never reported.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 29, 2012, 01:30:06 PMApparently he was a no-show this fall along with Nick Basile another DB.
Basile is on the roster. The 2nd freshman that did not show up was RB Brandon Hall out of Michigan.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 29, 2012, 02:53:14 PM
Missing player update:  Jalen Johnson left for Miami of Ohio to try to walk on. Will have to sit out the year. Not sure he realizes the difference between FCS non-scholarship, FCS scholarship, and FBS.  UMass is making the move from the FCS Colonial League, where they have been quite successful, to MAC and they expect to get clobbered in the first couple of years.     Confirmed that Hammer never reported.
Hammer may have been holding out for something from I-AA, but he might also be going the JUCO route.  Might have been cheaper as well.  Just guessing.

VULB#62

Hammer:  Coach C said it was a personal situation.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 29, 2012, 03:13:54 PMBasile is on the roster

And today he and transfer Derrick Caldwell have been removed from the roster.

covufan

What happened to Kelvin Smarwt?  I thought he was an up and coming WR and returner?

VULB#62

Was looking for him too but appears he didn't return to VU or opted out of FB .  He was a Florida kid -- maybe the winter got to him?

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 30, 2012, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on August 29, 2012, 03:13:54 PMBasile is on the roster

And today he and transfer Derrick Caldwell have been removed from the roster.
Even with those players that transferred or did not show up, and those that have left the program (no longer on roster) I still count 96 players on the roster, with only 30 true Freshman and 11 Seniors (or 5th year Seniors).  On the Off/Def two deep, only 8 are seniors, out of 44.  We'll also be losing our P and our backup PR.  I'm looking forward to watching this team progress this season.